DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY ANIMATED GIFS

RIPPA

When was the last time you saw a "vat of rubbing alcohol/salt/lemon juice" match? Hell, what promotions even run deathmatches anymore besides Big Japan and CZW and some of those scummy lucha indies? That gif is like five years old. You guys are goofy.

The first 5 things are impressive visually to the entire crowd, the needle through the cheek is too subtle for the paying audience to notice, thus it's a failure as a spot.  Guy could have just as easily gimmicked the needle and gotten the same reaction.

• Like 1

The first 5 things are impressive visually to the entire crowd, the needle through the cheek is too subtle for the paying audience to notice, thus it's a failure as a spot.  Guy could have just as easily gimmicked the needle and gotten the same reaction.

This isn't a defence of a dumb spot, but surely something like this (which I'm guessing is CZW's Tournament of Death? I haven't watched deathmatch wrestling in 7+ years at this point) is aimed more at the people buying DVDs, especially in the case of TOD which isn't even held in Philly. And from that perspective at least I don't know if you can say it's a failure. The majority of people who paid to watch the show were able to see a dude stick a needle into and through another dudes cheek. 

It's still a really dumb thing to do. In a match where both guys are bleeding bucketloads, I don't really fancy the idea of having one of the bloodsoaked competitors ram a needle into me. I mean the whole thing about needles is them being sterile, & that is clearly going to not be sterile & that freaks me out far more than the actual visual of a needle piercing the cheek, which is kind of shocking to actually see, but as Hooks says, it's also something lots of people apparently do for fun so it's not the most shocking thing ever.

I watched the 2001 Rumble match a few weeks ago and had totally forgotten Meng showing up.

Meng and Rikishi being numbers 29 and 30 in that Rumble should've meant complete destruction of the white man as we know it.

• Like 5

This isn't a defence of a dumb spot, but surely something like this (which I'm guessing is CZW's Tournament of Death? I haven't watched deathmatch wrestling in 7+ years at this point) is aimed more at the people buying DVDs, especially in the case of TOD which isn't even held in Philly. And from that perspective at least I don't know if you can say it's a failure. The majority of people who paid to watch the show were able to see a dude stick a needle into and through another dudes cheek. 

It's still a really dumb thing to do. In a match where both guys are bleeding bucketloads, I don't really fancy the idea of having one of the bloodsoaked competitors ram a needle into me. I mean the whole thing about needles is them being sterile, & that is clearly going to not be sterile & that freaks me out far more than the actual visual of a needle piercing the cheek, which is kind of shocking to actually see, but as Hooks says, it's also something lots of people apparently do for fun so it's not the most shocking thing ever.

Oh what people wi

tumblr_mi4l09sk7r1rwnmioo2_500.gif

What did he get for this?  A hotdog and a smile?  I can't believe people are still doing these matches in 2014.

Thumbtack Jack has retired and has done some dumb documentaries about being sad and death match wrestling being a a bad addiction. 

He's the german dude that was flying all the time to do the death matches who was assaulted by Ian Rotten after doing like 4 Death Matches in 2 days because he said he was going to put Ian's child on the oven. 

On the same show he had a match with Pondo, Pondo came up dressed as Hitler! Was hilarious... not.

They had me until the end. Just do the powerbomb neckbreaker villano buster there. Not some goofy knee thing.

ibbOGrqhyGONi2.gif

So Nova had a website in 1998 or whenever, and one part of his website was him talking about all the moves he created. One of those was the Sledge-O-Matic, which was a powerbomb where his elbow is between the guy's legs. The one gif of it I can find is broken. He said it was safer than a normal power bomb since he could control the descent better.

You figure that would be a move where you could too. But yeah, no. They really screwed that up.