DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

TSN2 is airing the 30 for 30 about "The U" right now. I'd watch this every night if they aired it.

The 30 for 30 tonight is about the ABA's Spirits of St. Louis.  This could be the spiritual sequel to The U, seriously Marvin "Bad News" Barnes may be the craziest athlete in history.

This works better here...

The NFL Owners passed a rule today that basically can "force" a team to participate in Hard Knocks.

1st option is to get a team that wants to do it but if they are having problems, then the NFL can step in and require a team to do it

Teams are exempt if

- They made the playoffs in one of the two previous seasons

- They have a new Head Coach

- They have been on Hard Knocks in the past 10 years

So exempt teams right now are: Dallas, Cincy, Miami, NYJ, KC, Baltimore, San Fran, Atlanta, New England, Houston, Seattle, Washington, Denver, Green Bay, Indy, Minnesota

Obviously more will be exempt at the end of this season due to the playoffs and new coaches.

Who really wants to watch a Hard Knocks that focuses on a team that didn't make the Playoffs and is bringing back the same coach? HARD KNOCKS: CAROLINA PANTHERS appeals to no one.

Well they will benefit this year because they are going to be able to choose from the Steelers or Giants

Who really wants to watch a Hard Knocks that focuses on a team that didn't make the Playoffs and is bringing back the same coach? HARD KNOCKS: CAROLINA PANTHERS appeals to no one.

Well they will benefit this year because they are going to be able to choose from the Steelers or Giants

Am I the only one who thinks the Raiders would be the most interesting.  I know it is probably a year or two too late, because Al would have been outstanding, but that team always has some shit going on.  If only we could have got the Lane Kiffin season.

Hard Knocks: The Jacksonville Jaguars

From now until they move. I just want to see the delusion at work behind the scenes.

Oh, yeah - Blaine's our guy. Totally. He's the best option for this team.

(Edit: Give the people what they want)

Which will have the appeal of cardboard-flavored ice cream.  No way either of those teams will do anything much onscreen.

Which will have the appeal of cardboard-flavored ice cream.  No way either of those teams will do anything much onscreen.

Can just imagine one of the Steelers' coaches meetings would sound like one of the scenes of all the guys drinking beer from King of the Hill.

Yep. . .yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyep. . .mmmm hmmm. . .

I hope someone decides to do a full length documentary on the ABA like Showtime/NFL did many years ago for the AFL. Such an amazing story of one of the weirdest and coolest alternate leagues ever.

Love the stories about Marvin taking the top players to parties and shopping and providing him hookers to "drain them of their energy"  and then when it didn't work he wouldn't pay the hookers. Dennis Rodman & Gilbert Arenas wishes they were like Marvin Barnes from the sounds of it. ^_^

I hope someone decides to do a full length documentary on the ABA like Showtime/NFL did many years ago for the AFL. Such an amazing story of one of the weirdest and coolest alternate leagues ever. 

Was that the Full Color Football series hosted by John Madden? That was really good.

All of that extant ABA footage made me cry. I want a box set yesterday.

So the Silnas are suing the NBA for even MORE money than they've already gotten... and from what the judge has said it seems like they're in the right. Makes you wonder how much trouble they could've saved for themselves if they took the Spirits (or Utah Rockies... the doc surprisingly didn't touch on this, but the Silnas were supposedly going to move the Spirits to SLC).

Just to clarify on the Hard Knocks thing

Basically what will happen is that the NFL will allow a team to volunteer and then if no one volunteers - they will pick a team out of the eligible team pool.

The only thing that seemed a little unclear was can any team volunteer or does it have to be from the eligible team pool. Because I am pretty sure the Jags have already said they would do it every single year.

And... yeah... the NFL might want to come up with a way to permanently exempt the Jags

I think there is something like seven ABA games on video, so the odds of us getting an ABA documentary is basically zero.  Read Loose Balls, it is the oral history of the ABA and is about as good of a sports book as you will ever read.  Marvin Barnes is just one of about 15-20 guys that are entirely unique to the ABA.  It is the single most disfunctional sports league of all time, but it was all types of fun.

The ABA was a truly amazing league. It had such a great cast of characters, some were funny, some were sad, while others were absolutely horrifying. Only the ABA could have a player like John Brisker who went off to Uganda as a mercenary and allegedly got eaten by Idi Amin. That is such an ABA story it couldn't have possibly happened to any other league.

Loose Balls was an absolutely awesome book and if you're a basketball fan it's something you simply must read.

If Deadspin is to be believed Magic Johnson has left ESPN because Simmons is going to essentially have all the power over the NBA show and Wilbon was being diminished.

Not that Magic was remotely good or anything Simmons was every bit as bad, if not worse.