DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Is there where we put the Erin Andrews gatorade shower from last night? :)

What I hate about that is that it happened while she had 3 layers of clothing on, and not while she was wearing a white shirt on the sidelines at some football game.

• Like 1

Not hate but rather kudos:

ESPN's E:60 program, which is maybe ESPN's best regular program, did a great story on former New Orleans Saints player Steve Gleason.  Gleason is remembered (and commemorated in statue form) for a crucial blocked punt against Atlanta in the first Saints game at the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina.  Gleason was diagnosed with ALS not long after and no longer has any body movement and cannot talk.  He uses a computer that tracks eye movements to talk.  Somewhere along the line, he became friends with Pearl Jam and was granted an interview with the band that led to this wonderfully awesome question:

"It's been five years since the release of "Backspacer", your longest wait between albums.  What the f***?"

Eddie and the boys cracked up, as did I.  Hilarious stuff.

The entire piece was excellent.

E:60 also recently did a fun little piece on the evolution of sports games.

I am kind of baffled by the commercials promoting ESPN College Gameday.  I mean now they are reduced to promoting that you could be one of those college idiots that makes a drunk ass out of himself and is all over youtube. 

Already it does use the theme from Greatest American Hero so it has that going for it  :)

I won't say the newest 30 for 30 "Big Shot" about John Spano "buying" the Islanders is the best one ever but definitely the most amazing.  I mean this guy pull the ultimate scam and buys a sports franchise with about a couple 100K to his name.  It is just one bullshit after another bullshit after another and everyone believed him.   He didn't even have enough to pay the tab at a restaurant for christ sakes. 

I am kind of amazed that the Gary Bettman would want this story out there because absolutely nobody in the NHL and the Islander look good in this.  Tells you what a complete moron this guy really is.  

If he wasn't such a scumbag I would actually admire the guy 

I am still not 100% convinced Bettman isn't a mole planted by Stern (who he used to work for) to sabotage the NHL so it didn't become a serious competitor to the NBA.

I find that funny since the BAA (which became the NBA) was founded as a way to use hockey arenas on nights when there wasn't a game.

The NHL isn't an ESPN property...so would the league's image be an issue?? I hope TSN shows this soon.

Yeah - ESPN was clearly going to have no issues running nor would feel any corporate pressure.

I think Hammer's point was more - why would Bettman agree to be on camera commenting on the story?

Now I could say one reason could be the old "any publicity is good publicity" and the thought was "HEY! At least the are talking about hockey on ESPN!"

• Like 1

The NHL isn't an ESPN property...so would the league's image be an issue?? I hope TSN shows this soon.

Yeah - ESPN was clearly going to have no issues running nor would feel any corporate pressure.

I think Hammer's point was more - why would Bettman agree to be on camera commenting on the story?

Now I could say one reason could be the old "any publicity is good publicity" and the thought was "HEY! At least the are talking about hockey on ESPN!"

Plus as he did in the story be able to lay the blame at other peoples feet. The NHL didn't look into this guy because the Islanders Owner wanted out so bad we assumed he was doing that.

I won't say the newest 30 for 30 "Big Shot" about John Spano "buying" the Islanders is the best one ever but definitely the most amazing.  I mean this guy pull the ultimate scam and buys a sports franchise with about a couple 100K to his name.  It is just one bullshit after another bullshit after another and everyone believed him.   He didn't even have enough to pay the tab at a restaurant for christ sakes. 

I am kind of amazed that the Gary Bettman would want this story out there because absolutely nobody in the NHL and the Islander look good in this.  Tells you what a complete moron this guy really is.  

If he wasn't such a scumbag I would actually admire the guy 

As I said in another thread, anyone who wants to know why the Islanders fan base died and they play to a half empty arena should check this out. You will get a pretty good answer