DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

I imagine Dierdorf and Tim McCarver sitting somewhere quiet having a couple beers, bitching about young people everywhere.

Possibly cutting a duet album together based on the success of this solo one: http://www.amazon.com/McCarver-Sings-Selections-American-Songbook/dp/B002OJGGH6

The Most Helpful Customer Reviews for that CD are brilliant

• Like 1

The selected quotes from the customer reviews cracked me up the most.

LOL

Tim Lincecum might have a bionic arm, but surely Tim McCarver has a bionic throat, delivering just a stunningly gutty performance that's not afraid to celebrate music the traditional way with hard vocal work that just sings the songs *right*. As Tim McCarver is fond of saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words," and in the process of listening to an entire great American songbook, your brain will take you away to anywhere between three and seven pictures, idylls and reveries that tap into the collective unconscious memory of what it meant to walk amidst eden. Each song is delivered with what I can only describe as a kind of calm-eyed beauty that seems to recursively calm the process of singing the song itself. Indeed, Tim McCarver is so supremely convinced of the sublimity of his own delivery and interpretation that perhaps even Tim McCarver would say that Tim McCarver has gotten to Tim McCarver. Slight disappointment that this album does not include the rumored covers of Brandon Arroyo's songs, nor does McCarver follow his broadcast partner and Natalie Cole's lead and do a duet with his own dead father, but easily the quality of what remains overshadows that shame. This offering presents a real change-up from the rest of Tim McCarver's career. Well, they call change-ups like that "cement mixers," so don't let it throw you a curve. Bear down and take it in stride, and soon it'll have you trying to "sing" for the fences. This is a musical feast fit for a Jeter.

If you get the chance, watch the new HBO documentary "Sport in America".  it is one of those HBO documentaries where it is mostly people talking about their experience.  This one talks about the impact sports have had in terms of the memories, the players, the inspiration from people who experienced it live or with their family.  Some really great stories from people talking about people like Jim Abbot,  a couple people including Summer Sanders talking about running the Boston Marathon during the bombing,  a funny story about one of the painted up crazies in Oakland and how he met his wife on first date going to a game, and much more.    Real fun to watch

If you get the chance, watch the new HBO documentary "Sport in America".  it is one of those HBO documentaries where it is mostly people talking about their experience.  This one talks about the impact sports have had in terms of the memories, the players, the inspiration from people who experienced it live or with their family.  Some really great stories from people talking about people like Jim Abbot,  a couple people including Summer Sanders talking about running the Boston Marathon during the bombing,  a funny story about one of the painted up crazies in Oakland and how he met his wife on first date going to a game, and much more.    Real fun to watch

It really is quite good - I watched a screener of it last week. Reading the synopsis, I expected people sitting there saying "remember :moment:? THAT WAS AWESOME!" Instead, it was more about the gravity of the moment, like Curt Menefee talking about Aaron breaking Ruth's record as a black child living in Atlanta

Will Ferrell (d/b/a Ron Burgundy) was supposed to be an anchor on Sportscenter tonight, but that has been cancelled.

http://www.avclub.com/article/espns-sportscenter-is-now-one-of-the-only-places-y-106267?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default

Can't blame ESPN on that one.  Let's just hope it gets rescheduled.

The Ron Burgundy Sportscenter tryout from the time of the first movie is supremely funny.

Oh, Summer Sanders, still a special prurient place in my heart. :)

---

Speaking of HBO, they just starting filming for the New Years Day game 24/7 with the leafs and wings.

I fell in love with her when I was just a boy apprentice and a mysterious messenger bade me visit a demented old lady with white hair who lived in a bizarre dusty gilded house.  There was a girl there named Summer and the old lady told me to fall in love with her and I did.  We played cards and I fought with a noble boy and she kissed me on the cheek.

But it was not to be.  I was as trapped by my new-found desire and ambition as she was by her benefactress.  Years later after I had made and lost my own fortune and made a new one in Egypt, I met her again.  This time she was apprenticed to a demented old man with red hair who lived in a bizarre gilded old skyscraper.  I couldn't save her from that fate any more than she had been able to save me from mine.

Some day, I must believe, there will be a time when no shadow will be between us.

Curt Schilling is replacing Orel Hershiser in the booth for the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball Games.

Schilling and Kruk is possibly the worst combo I have ever heard of

I love Schilling in the studio. Not sure he'll fare in the booth.

Related: I believe this is the fifth straight season with a change in the Sunday Night Baseball booth. Wrote a column about it last year, but forget the exact number.

• 2 weeks later...