DVDVR Message Board

All-Encompassing Sports TV Thread of Hate

LooseCannon

Dan Snyder is 48 years old.  Are we waiting for him to die?

I would be more waiting for Fidel Goodell to twist the screws on Danny for bad PR and/or possible Congressional meddling.Congressmen may feel pressure of going to games if their constituents complain about them tacitly supporting racism.And, of course, Barry is a lame duck president and notably avid sports fan.

I think, as mentioned in Olbermann's piece, we are a lot closer now than we were not long ago.  The pressure is going to continue to mount, but, then, Snyder doesn't seem like the kind of guy to give a fuck what people think, so it's not going to be this year or anything.

Snyder would change the name in a heart beat if the NFL would give him even half the deal Jerry Jones has for the Cowboys.

Most media folks around here (the DC area) believe that that is basically what is going to happen. Roger Goodell is basically going to want the issue to go away so he will offer Snyder some sort of similar merch deal the Cowboys have and then the name will change and Snyder will get like 8 trillion dollars.

The one screaming savage Braves logo might be more offensive, as well.

It is considered very offensive and the Braves received a lot of criticism over using it this past spring training. The Cleveland Indians mascot comes under fire a lot from Natives also. Some Natives don't like the Braves and Chiefs names but you don't see those coming up in conversations as much as Redskins and Clevelands mascot because they are a whole lot more offensive. Also as a Native, I personally prefer Native American but know that most have no problem calling themselves Indian.

Snyder has missed his window but I think some of these other teams could still get the whole pat on the back type press for changing their names. 

Also on the list should be Chicago Blackhawks and Edmonton Eskimos.  I'd need a smart person to explain the history of Blackhawks to me before I decide.  I'm not sure there's anything inherently racist about it but considering who created all these teams, it probably came from a racist.  Nobody cares about Eskimos because it's the CFL but come on.

I'm wondering if I should be worried that someone in power at ESPN is going watch an episode of Highly Questionable.

What exactly are you saying here, because I love that show.  It is just three people talking shit about sports and interviewing Stephen Jackson and Jerry Stackhouse about putting their hands on people.  It is the only show that gets people to talk candidly about all of the crazy sports stories that don't make it to sportscenter.  If you haven't watched the Stephen Jackson and Jerry Stackhouse interviews, you should do yourself a favor and youtube them.

He's still with ESPN.  I think he's going to do some radio work on NFL Sundays, and continue to do SportsCenter.  He's not fired, just pulled from his awful show.

His personality is abrasive and irritating when not held in check, which is why I'm surprised they broke him up from Coleman.  Coleman grounded Coach and their Saturday radio show was pretty entertaining.  It felt like ESPN was looking for a permament co-host for Coach & Company, but no one clicked with Coach, and hence the hook.  Not to mention that he came across as somewhat misogynist when working with Hugh Douglas.

Jonathan Coachman is working his last day on ESPN Radio for his show, Coach and Company.

They've heard my cries!  They've answered my prayers!

Local boy, Dan Lebatard will be replacing Coach. He'll be bringing his Miami based radio show national starting next week.

• Like 1

He's still with ESPN.  I think he's going to do some radio work on NFL Sundays, and continue to do SportsCenter.  He's not fired, just pulled from his awful show.

His personality is abrasive and irritating when not held in check, which is why I'm surprised they broke him up from Coleman.  Coleman grounded Coach and their Saturday radio show was pretty entertaining.  It felt like ESPN was looking for a permament co-host for Coach & Company, but no one clicked with Coach, and hence the hook.  Not to mention that he came across as somewhat misogynist when working with Hugh Douglas.

I think his show is being replaced by Lebatard's show going national.  I'm a pretty big Lebatard fan, and I listen to his Thursday show that features Bomani Jones every single week.  Yesterday they had a guy arguing how statistics say that Alex Smith is better than Colin Kaepernick that Bomani Jones sniffed out the bullshit pretty quickly.  The guy went on and on about how his statistic, which is the difference between offensive passing efficiency and defensive passing efficiency, is the king of all statistics.  Apparently the 49ers went from 2nd in the league to 4th in the league after they made the switch and it was a huge mistake that cost the 49ers Super Bowl.  His case was basically that championship teams generally have the biggest passer rating differentials.  He went on and eventually used Bart Starr as an example of how he is the greatest quarterback because of this stat, until Bomani asked him a simple question, "You are using a stat that seems to rely a lot on correlation, have you done any research to see if there is any causation?"  He straight up said, "There is no way you can tell because footbal is played by humans."  Bomani, who has multiple masters degrees in economics, went on to tell him different statistical models he could use, but the dude didn't want to hear it. 

They then went on to discuss the thinly veiled racism in the guys argument, by saying "these running quarterbacks always regress to the mean," and as soon as Bomani started arguing with him deciding to call him "brother."  They discussed that Colin Kapernick and Alex Smith are currently the 3rd and 4th ranked rushers among quarterbacks, which makes his point about running quarterbacks irrelevant when discussing these quarterbacks.  They also point out how no one discusses Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck when discussing running quarterbacks despite the fact that running is a significant part of their success.  I like the show because they honestly breakdown the cliches that people take as gospel and challenge the status quo.  No one else does this type of show; it is funny, informative, but actually fucking intelligent.

• Like 1