DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

That attempted "three gut punches" for Ray's death thing all fell pretty flat, at least for me. His son didn't get his last message, his son really really is his son, he knocked up Ani...I totally get why I'm supposed to care, mechanically, but I just don't. Ray was an idiot.

And apparently if Frank would have just kept his mouth shut he'd had at least have had a chance. Walking back across the desert certainly is no guarantee, but it's lot better than doing it gut shot.

Then Ani is... You know what, I just don't even fucking care. Talking to the reporter or some such bullshit and I just don't fucking care.

I asked weeks ago if we had any evidence whatsoever that any of these people were actually good or even competent detectives, and the answer was fucking no. I get that it fits with Ray, he was never supposed to succeed, but Davis assigning Ani just makes her a complete idiot.

Honestly, I thought episodes 5-7 were good, the show had overcome it's rocky start, right until the end of 7. But the death of Paul and all this ninety minutes of bullshit combined just... Yeah.

And I didn't even like Paul.

• Like 1

Ray trying to get out of his car and tripping over his money and then running panting through the redwoods flailing his arms was Coen Brothers level hilarious.

I don't think it was meant to be.

God that was so weird.

I love that in the end, the entire extent of the main "mystery" was one scene of an old cop telling a story about two orphans, and then the two orphans each appearing in one scene in the finale.   And the way they were connected was

1) "Does that girl in that 20 year old picture look like she might have grown up to be anyone we've ever seen in our lives?" "Oh, yeah, that one girl we met in the 2nd episode!"

and

2) "The other kid's name was Leonard. Did we run into anyone in our lives with an "L" name?"  "Hey, that one guy we talked to once 9 months ago!"  "I bet his union has his address!"

His fucking union!!!!!

That is some impressive commitment to not giving a fuck.

Oh, God, I'm so glad that the backlash to the backlash is over and we can go back to just backlash.  I've been pulling muscles trying to find reasons not to hate this show.

Ani being taken off the chess board was blah. It should have been both of them in the shoot out with her surviving. Maybe he saves her or maybe she kills Burris after he shoots Ray.

So many ways they could have improved the finale. I really did feel like 4 - 7 redeemed the show. So much promise going into the finale, but you could tell when the shootout with the Russians happened way too early... It just wasn't going to capitalize.

• Like 1

I'll echo the sentiments that 5-7, even 4-7 were the season's best. It did make me think the show turned a corner. There were still glaring problems, but they weren't as major. And then came the finale. I can't recall the last time I watched a 90 minute finale that felt like 3 goddamn hours, which nearly undid all of the goodwill built by the previous few episodes. Brian is right though, the show drove off a cliff when Woodrugh was killed. 

I'm hoping season 3 is better. Whatever season 3 is, someone needs to reign in Pizzolatto.

Hey Craig, you're the one who sat through eight hours of something you hated (oh I mean something you had a lot of problems with :) ). You could have stopped weeks ago.  FWIW, I didn't care for the finale at all. Everyone dies. Cool.  Game of Thrones does it much better.

What satisfaction was I supposed to gain out of the final shot.  Some guy in Venezuela who we have never met is now going to solve the case.  Wow. So he is the TRUE DETECTIVE.

So the son, who now we know really was his son despite looking nothing like either parent... the last few times we saw him he seemed to have no concern for his dad.  Last night when Ray went to say good bye to him, the kid seemed more confused than anything.  For all I knew he was using the shield as collateral in his checkers game.  For someone who would have theoretically had this connection to Ray from all the voice mails, he certainly didn't seem to care and was totally detached the last few times we saw them together.  I'm wondering if the email account these messages were going to were either really Ray's dad or just some dummy account the kid didn't even know about.

I'll share more thoughts later on other items that I still have to question.  Ultimately I'm not as negative on the show as most as I did find it compelling enough to keep watching but I'm still not sure what I thought of the whole thing.  There were so many side characters & storylines that in hindsight, I seem totally spot on as far as no one could have known what was important to pay attention to & keep straight & what wasn't.

I don't know why he would tie Jordan to Ani at the end. Like, I guess Nic really thought people would care about her and Frank's relationship or something?

It's funny.,. Ani being the only character to survive was the outcome I actually wanted. It's too bad NP had to turn her into a non-factor for it to work. Like, why the fuck would she still be hanging out with Jordan and Crazy Eyes? NP not only took her out of the story, he also disregarded pretty much every aspect of her loner/rebel character type.

The Antigone character he created in Ep 1-7 wouldn't have gotten on the damn boat.

• Like 1

So the son, who now we know really was his son despite looking nothing like either parent...

it is possible for two brunettes to have a ginger

You almost have to think that NP decided that he had to over simplify the son character. 

"How do I make sure everyone knows that this kid is nerdy, timid, and likely to play in a D&D group?"

"I got it! I'll make him out of shape, pale white, and a GINGER!"

It started off well but once it wandered away from Caspar's murder, which was genuinely interesting...eh, it fell apart quick.

I did kinda like the ending though.

Still not sure how all the sex parties figured into things, tbh.

It started off well but once it wandered away from Caspar's murder, which was genuinely interesting...eh, it fell apart quick.

I did kinda like the ending though.

Still not sure how all the sex parties figured into things, tbh.

If you were only the coked up werewolf NP is then you would get it.