DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

At least they paid lip service to explaining why Frank wasn't just killed months before, like the day after he first met Osip in Paris before the show even began.

It was a terrible explanation, but we could possibly retcon it as "Osip" being arrogant and having the confidence that could Ramsey Bolton him and being wrong.

I was kind of hoping after all her talk about not being on earth just for fucking, and all the subtext about how her career is basically shelved by idiots not being able to handle being around her, that Antigone could have made it through one night in a rustic motel room with a gross, sweaty, and rather un-assertive, Bolo Ray without fucking him.

He didn't even have bolo and that's like half his game.

I'm pretty sure it's been established that Antigone likes to fuck.

I read the "bury your gays" trope and it gave no examples of this happening. I guess it has but not in anything I've ever watched.

There's literally hundreds of examples on that page. You just have to open the various folders down below.

Anyway... So it was the two kids from the robbery that killed Caspere, right? And they've got no connection to all the shit it uncovered? Something like that?

On that last sentence, I have no clue. I feel like I need to re-watch this series because I don't even understand what anything is about or why anyone gives a shit about anything.

Now that we're basically 2 full seasons in, I think it's clear that TRUE DETECTIVE's inherent vice is that it's a mystery show whose primary author isn't good at writing mysteries. I mean, pretty effective at generating intrigue, but absolutely terrible at the actual nuts and bolts of mystery plotting.

And the most consistently entertaining parts of the show have featured ultra-competent macho men doing badass shit. Basically, the parts of the show that wouldn't be out of place on an episode of 24.

Unfortunately, as long as the word "detective" is in the title, we're stuck with more of the former than the latter. I say, next season change the title to TRUE BADASS and just let dudes step on each other's heads for an hour.

• Like 5

What? 

I thought every great detective solved the mystery by breaking into the killer's office and stealing a bucket full of incriminating evidence in an envelope marked:

"CONSPIRACY: DO NOT OPEN IF YOU ARE NOT INVOLVED (THIS MEANS YOU!!!!!)".

• Like 1

I was holding back on commenting on the series until the full thing was done (unlike the vast majority who jumped on it an episode or two in)

What a clusterfuck. I get the feeling half a season was written out (the occult railway thing that was mentioned), then scrapped, then its been hobbled together into the mess it is now. There's no reason for me to give a fuck who killed Casper in the first episode (FWIW I'm calling the orphaned son from the jewel robbery) because it no longer has a bearing on anything. There is no longer any kind of case or mystery to solve, it's become about how the characters will get out of the hole they've dug themselves in... which is fine I guess but not really why I watch a mystery show. I haven't hated this season but I've had no reason to care either because there'll be no pay off. Farrell has fucking aced it, and to a lesser extent Kitsch has too. Vaughan has swayed between awesome and daft. McAdams has been okay but has never really shined outside of the mansion episode.

As for y'all using the death of Woodrugh to further project your hate on the creator? Get to fuck. Woodrugh was compromised and paid the price for not accepting who he was. The others have survived because they accept who they are. If you can't pick up on that not-so-subtle subtext and white knight it because he's 'the gay one' then I worry

PS - is it really a 90 minute finale next week? Or is that wishful thinking?

• Like 1

I was holding back on commenting on the series until the full thing was done (unlike the vast majority who jumped on it an episode or two in)

What a clusterfuck. I get the feeling half a season was written out (the occult railway thing that was mentioned), then scrapped, then its been hobbled together into the mess it is now. There's no reason for me to give a fuck who killed Casper in the first episode (FWIW I'm calling the orphaned son from the jewel robbery) because it no longer has a bearing on anything. There is no longer any kind of case or mystery to solve, it's become about how the characters will get out of the hole they've dug themselves in... which is fine I guess but not really why I watch a mystery show. I haven't hated this season but I've had no reason to care either because there'll be no pay off. Farrell has fucking aced it, and to a lesser extent Kitsch has too. Vaughan has swayed between awesome and daft. McAdams has been okay but has never really shined outside of the mansion episode.

As for y'all using the death of Woodrugh to further project your hate on the creator? Get to fuck. Woodrugh was compromised and paid the price for not accepting who he was. The others have survived because they accept who they are. If you can't pick up on that not-so-subtle subtext and white knight it because he's 'the gay one' then I worry

You almost make this sound like that disastrous sixth season of 24.

Go back to the Bury Your Gays trope I linked. Notice that my favorite show ever, created by my favorite creator ever, has two entries on the list. Then kindly go fuck yourself for deciding what my motivations are.

And yes, it's ninety minutes.

I agree with the sentiments here that in many ways the show is a mess with all the plotlines & subplots.  1-2 shows in I was on the fence thinking I'd stick with it seeing if they gave me a reason to care.  Aside from the cliffhanger of thinking Ray was dead, after 5 episodes I still wasn't 100% sure I was "bought in" but figured I'd see it thru with only 3 shows left.  Ep. 6 & 7 have really engaged me, as mentioned above, largely to see how these characters get out of the mess they have found themselves in.  There's just been so much backstory & side baggage stories on these characters that it's been a bit hard to keep straight exactly what are the important things to follow & which are just unnecessary sideplots.  I pay pretty close attention & I've lost track of some of the side characters on the corruption side of things & how they tie into each other.  So yeah I think the writing could have done better to focus the story more around what was important.  It's like from week to week I'm not sure which parts are just going to fall by the wayside & if the plot lines will become relevant again.

Anyway it's not like I dislike the show at all, but I certainly agree that the mystery they are trying to solve really is far down the list of what's compelling about this show.