DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

The last 3 eps have been great, really getting into the story. Its a pity that the first 4 eps were a very slow burning set up to the shootout which itself is now most definitely a set up gone awry.

Which leaves me to believe this show should've just been a 6 parter, with the shootout being the end of the 2nd episode or end of a 90min premiere episode and let the conspiracy flow from there.

EDIT: It was Taylor Kitsch, but Rachel McAdams is now my frontrunner for season MVP.

I'd say McAdams and Farrell have been better in this than they have been in anything for ages. I'd call it a career best for McAdams, but there is Mean Girls, so...

And is it just me or is Farrell WAY better suited to TV?

As a leading man in big Hollywood films? He's missing something. He's bland, even. On TV he comes off as far more dynamic and interesting.

I remember Mark Kermode mentioning something about this. He was talking about Sarah Michelle Gellar and Jennifer Aniston but it applies to Farrell too. Certain actors have these quirks and facial expressions and subtleties that work far better on a small screen.

Yeah, maybe. Or possibly blockbusters nowadays have a tendency to strip away anything quirky or original from actors in the name of making them bland leading men.

It is very hard to reconcile the same guy who was as boring in hell in Total Recall and all those other action movies with the guy who is lighting up the screen here.

I would buy that because Chris Pine is a fucking black hole also but then I see guys like Chris Pratt and he reminds me of the summers of Will Smith.  Some dudes got that blockbuster charisma and others are better suited as sidekicks or for supporting roles in other genres.

In this at least he reminds me a lot of William Peterson, a guy who is maybe a film lead in another era, but came around at the wrong time and doesn't quite fit the current image.

He'd be a great Will Graham in a MANHUNTER remake.

• Like 1

I would buy that because Chris Pine is a fucking black hole also but then I see guys like Chris Pratt and he reminds me of the summers of Will Smith.  Some dudes got that blockbuster charisma and others are better suited as sidekicks or for supporting roles in other genres.

Chris Evans might be a better example of the "blockbuster charisma." I think that's what most Hollywood studios are going for now. But while that's OK for Chris Evans, it doesn't suit many other people. They seem to be trying to do this with Chris Pratt and make him more generic...and it's doomed to failure. Just let him be himself a little.

On another note: Hollywood has an absurd amount of people named 'Chris.' 

In this at least he reminds me a lot of William Peterson, a guy who is maybe a film lead in another era, but came around at the wrong time and doesn't quite fit the current image.

He'd be a great Will Graham in a MANHUNTER remake.

tumblr_inline_mmbil0VYyg1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 1

Guys, I totally have that one brown shirt that Bolo Ray is always wearing.  I'm going to consider that an important clue.

I was just today thinking about what an utterly superfluous character Taylor Kitsch is.  Like, how much of the show could have happened without him involved and how much more streamlined it would have been and wondering why they needed a third guy with a whole bunch of backstory.  Looks like now we know, at least as a narrative device why they needed him around.

"Do you guys want me to roll a joint?"

Ray with the perfect comedic timing!  He is somehow both the most heartbreaking and lighthearted character.  Farrell is working overtime on this show. If they win anything at the Emmys next year, I hope it's him.

The story is all over the place, HBO is batshit crazy for giving this dude free reign and.... Yeah, I'm in for 90 minutes next week.  I have no fucking clue what is going to happen.  Let's do it!

Edit:  I'm all in for the inevitable Frank/Ray/Antigone super team!  

"Do you guys want me to roll a joint?"

Ray with the perfect comedic timing!  He is somehow both the most heartbreaking and lighthearted character.  Farrell is working overtime on this show. If they win anything at the Emmys next year, I hope it's him.

His delivery of "Yes.  I am." to her "You're not a bad man." was so great and underplayed.  It was almost the way a sorority girl would say "Yeah, I want the kale! Duh." 

Just imagine how hard Vaughan would have read that at you.

I was generally entertained by this episode, moreso than any other this season, until the very end, which kinda took the wind out of my sails. I was already pretty skeeved out about all the business with Paul's sexuality being reduced to a convoluted plot device, but then Nic went all the way and straight up fridged him.

Fortuantely, all our straight heroes are still around to avenge him!

So I'm a slowpoke and finally got around to watching the first season and thought it was some damn good Tv.

I know a lot of people were hoping it was going to go full Cthulu at the end; but I think in a way it was a real world take on Lovecraft.

To me the show was a real-life version of the Dunwich Horror. Both feature disfigured men from suspicious birth commuting horrible acts to appease the dark gods that they believe in. Except this is the real world and there are no invisible human/spaghetti monster creatures. And in the end men of reason defeat the bad guys, but at a personal cost because no one escapes shit that dark in one piece.

I have pretty much isolated myself from any discussion about season two, other then "It's not as good as season one".  But I'm looking forward to being the judge of that once it hits BluRay

I was generally entertained by this episode, moreso than any other this season, until the very end, which kinda took the wind out of my sails. I was already pretty skeeved out about all the business with Paul's sexuality being reduced to a convoluted plot device, but then Nic went all the way and straight up fridged him.

I'm very much of mixed feelings on this.  On one hand, "the gay one died" is such a fucking obnoxious recurring trope.

On the other hand, so is main character immortality when they keep going into absurdly dangerous situations.  

As a third point, most veterans I know have an almost compulsive need to check behind them when they have blind spots like Paul did coming out of the building.  Along with a strong desire to always sit where they see the entrance/exit and things of that nature.  It's an ingrained behavior, so the way he was killed rang really false to me.  It would have been better if he had been taken out when it was 4 on 1 against trained soldiers.

• Like 2

I'm very much of mixed feelings on this. On one hand, "the gay one died" is such a fucking obnoxious recurring trope.

It's a terrible trope, but what really irked me was the context of it. Like, if Paul had died in the big shootout in episode 4 or during the orgy heist last week, or at any other time, really, it still wouldn't have been a good thing...but there are ways you could've justified it, or rather explained away the offensiveness as being a product of something on the more harmless end of the insensitivity spectrum.

But make no mistake: This was a gay character who was led to his demise explicitly by his homosexuality.

Even worse, the lead-up to his death is intercut with scenes of our hetero leads falling into bed with each other for the first time.

Like...that is not good subtext, man.

• Like 2

As a third point, most veterans I know have an almost compulsive need to check behind them when they have blind spots like Paul did coming out of the building.  Along with a strong desire to always sit where they see the entrance/exit and things of that nature.  It's an ingrained behavior, so the way he was killed rang really false to me.  It would have been better if he had been taken out when it was 4 on 1 against trained soldiers.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about here.

I'm still not sure I even really understand the geography or the timetable of all that business in the tunnels. Specifically: What the hell was Detective Dumbo Ears doing hiding out behind that door with his gun drawn in the first place? Even if we generously assume he was clairvoyantly expecting Paul to improbably Jack Bauer his way out that scenario...

1. I'm pretty sure Paul doesn't exit the tunnels through the same way he was led down there.

2. The bad guys specifically say those tunnels run all throughout the city. So there are presumably many potential exits.

So how does Dumbo Ears just happen to guess exactly which exit Paul is going to come out?