DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

This was one of those shows I didn't much like, but at the same time stuck with because I wanted to see what happened or hoped that they'd capitalize on the brief moments of promise it showed (mid-season).  If they had cut out about 2/3 of the story and the 3 main characters and just made a two hour movie about Frank's struggle to try and become a legit businessman and trying to sever ties with his former underworld associates I think I might have liked it.  Aside from the clusterfuck of a plotline and connections between characters that were so vague and minor that it just didn't matter, my biggest problem was the lack of chemistry between the three leads.  There were several scenes between Ray and Paul where they actually seemed to relate to one another a bit and you felt there was some bond between them, but for the most part it felt like watching 3 coworkers who didn't have any non-superficial interest in the other.  I can understand Ani and Ray getting busy as it was established that Ani clearly has daddy issues and used sex to deal with stress and anxiety, but I didn't buy for a minute that they actually had any feelings for one another.  Their supposedly emotionally gripping calls and interactions in the finale were just incredibly forced.

Guys, I heard a rumor that there's a skeleton out in the dessert wearing a suit with 2.5 million in diamonds hidden in it.

TRUE DETECTIVE SEASON 2: THE MOVIE: THE LEGEND OF FRANK'S SUIT DIAMONDS!

There is one thematic idea that I liked about the show, which was that all four leads were essentially unwanted, unneeded, cast-offs who weren't nearly as good at their job as the people they were up against. 

We don't usually spend an entire show following scrubs around.  That could have been interesting if the actual show didn't keep trying so hard to pretend these four were badasses.  Okay, Paul was kind of a badass.  But also a pretty big fuckup who nobody wanted or needed and who couldn't function as a cop.

Can we talk for a minute about the hilariousness of the transponder the Black Mountain guys put on Ray's car? You know, the one with the big red light that helpfully reflected off the puddle underneath?

At least it appeared they had enough intelligence to peel off the label that said DON'T LOOK! THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT A COVERT TRACKING DEVICE! NOTHING TO SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG.

Then again, based on the rest of Bolo Ray's actions in the finale, they might've been better off leaving it on. He might've been like, "That's pretty weird, but okay..."

The thing is, if he is an official suspect in the murder of now three cops including an assistant Attorney General, why would they do that at all?

If they had surveillance on his kid (which does make sense), and they saw him there, they would have SWAT converge on him.  Sure they don't want to risk accidentally bringing him in alive, but it doesn't seem like Vinci PD would have a problem with that.  Easier, in fact, than tailing him out to a wooded area where he can kill like three of your guys First Blood style.

I guess we have met him. People on the net say it's the same reporter from the first episode who wanted to do a story on Vinci.  Velcoro roughed his shit up.  Whatever.

Yeah, it was that guy...that same guy who was pretty easily coerced into dropping his investigation into Vinci corruption the first time around! He took one beating, and he was fucking OUT. After everything you've seen these people are capable of, this is the guy you're giving everything to?

Solid choice, Ani.

If they had surveillance on his kid (which does make sense), and they saw him there, they would have SWAT converge on him. Sure they don't want to risk accidentally bringing him in alive, but it doesn't seem like Vinci PD would have a problem with that.

The Vinci chief had just told Ray that they could VAPORIZE HIM on sight.

Which would've been something to see.

• Like 1

You know what would have saved all of this: If the demon cthulu thing we all half expected last year showed up and just ate these morons.

Oh man. I want that ending. The completion of the high speed rail is actually the last part of a ritual to summon Cthulu.

The whole scene at the airport terminal was another situation where I didn't understand the geography or the timeline at all.

Okay, based on the fevered anticipation with which Leonard is watching the meeting place, I feel confident in assuming that it was pretty close to the agreed upon meet-up time when Ray snuck up on him.

Then we cut down to the entrance where not only do we see the Chief enter, but we also see that Dumbo Ears was already in the terminal, apparently wisely observing Chris Partlow's First Rule of Setting Up on Someone (always get there early to make sure no one is setting up on you!).

So, again, reasonably assuming that Ray and the Chief's arrivals happened in relatively brief succession, and were not separated by some hours, HOW then did Dumbo Ears not notice Ray waltzing through that door, looking as conspicuous as possible in his Raylan Givens cosplay?

And what was Ray's plan there? "Okay, I'm gonna bait him into explaining your origins, then you're gonna jump up and murder the fuck out of him. I'm supposed to be laying low, but it should be alright if I'm sitting right next to you in this crowded airport terminal while you carve his fucking head off with a knife so big the sight of it would make Rambo impotent."

If that *specifically* wasn't the plan, then I have no idea why the fuck he let the kid sit there, ARMED, while he prodded his parents' murderer about all the tragic details. Kid was obviously crazy as a pet coon.

I'm kinda the opposite to you lot - I preferred the first four episodes to the last four as at least it seemed to be building to something crazy and shady and important. The last four episodes just jettisoned the initial intrigue and mystery to focus on the characters downfall... which isn't really why I watch a detective show. As much as I love Rust, he was the icing on the cake of S1 - it was the case that was keeping me tuning in every week. This series had none of the intrigue (as an aside, where the fuck do you get the Cthulu idea from S1?! When was supernatural mystery and horror ever present?).

I liked the fact these characters were completely inept, it was refreshing. I was rooting for them but they kept fucking up because they weren't that good - they were all on that case for another purpose, not for their skills, and they got caught up in the shit as a result.

Loved Frank's death scene, that was very cool. Loved the scene of Ray visiting his son and how it was counterposed with Ray's dad at the end

"You can't act for shit!" got a laugh out of me for unintended reasons

On the whole though, what a vacuous season.

For Season 3, please get the same director for every episode. And an actual mysterious case for them to solve

Welcome to our hell.

I was also comforted in reading some post-mortem reviews of the finale and seeing that others felt like that was the longest 90 minute tv show they could remember.

I'm now also thinking back to well before this season started and the talk for this past season mainly focused around the occult history of LA's highway system, or whatever, and that there would be a heavier focus on two female protagonists. One was obviously Ani and I tried to think of who the other was and then the last few minutes of the show hit me, and the other is Jordan.

And as much as I disliked the finale and the disservice it did to the few good episodes that preceded it, I would lost my shit if Marty and Rust returned for season 3. No way that happens though, right?

So shy of that, if the show goes back to two leads because that worked way better than the multiple leads worked this season, then who do you fantasy cast for that?

I've got John Cusack and Terry O'Quinn. Who do you have?

• Like 1

I've got John Cusack and Terry O'Quinn. Who do you have?

It's too bad that Emerson is still doing Person of Interest because we could get O'Quinn and Emerson investigating mysterious kidnappings in Hawaii or something.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/true-detective-finale-ratings-fall-hbo-rachel-mcadams-1201496610/

The 90-minute Season 2 finale of the Colin FarrellTaylor KitschRachel McAdams and Vince Vaughn starring show was watched by 2.73 million on Sunday, according to Nielsen. While that’s the best the show has done since the second episode of this season, the 9 PM broadcast was down 22% from the 3.5 million who tuned in for the Season 1 ender last spring