DVDVR Message Board

True Detective

caley

There was the slow start with the optimism that it might pick up. Around episode three everyone was ready to give up, shocked at the quality drop off.

Then episodes 5-7 were pretty decent. Not great, but enough to get "hey this was okay after all"

Then the 90 minute finale came and... Holy fuck what the fuck why did we waste time on this why????!!!!!!?

• Like 1

I just watched a show set in the Ozarks about the Ozarks called...Ozark or something. I forget but it starred the dude who was part of a wealthy family who lost everything but had no choice but to keep them all together. They blue themselves or whatever.

Anyway, yeah, that 2nd series was fucking awful even if it did have Kelly Reilly who nearly cancelled out Vince Vaughn being Vince Vaughn but didn't quite manage it.

I think they did. Now that you mention it, that was one of the really, really shitty things about the season because I want to say they did the reveal after Ray died showing the paternity test.

Given the quality of the season, the test results should have said, "UR THE FARTHER OF CHAD" in crayon.

Oh, and real quick, nothing made me remember terrible dialogue like season 2 did. Everything stuck out like such a sore thumb.

I used to want to be an astronaut, but astronauts don't even go to the moon anymore.

A Mexican standoff with actual Mexicans.

I never lost a tooth. I never had a fucking cavity.

I'll buttfuck your father with your mom's headless corpse on the front lawn!

That last one made me lose it when typing out "buttfuck."

Man, Jeremy Saulnier could make a really awesome 'True Detective' season.  If you haven't seen his films, do yourself a favour and partake of 'Blue Ruin' and especially 'Green Room'.  Hopefully he's allowed to do everything he wants and Nic is mainly there to yell "Cut!"

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

True Detective has finally found Mahershala Ali’s partner for season 3. 

Stephen Dorff (Blade, World Trade Center) has been cast to play an Arkansas State Investigator in the next edition of the HBO anthology drama. 

Dorff will play Roland West who — along with Ali’s character Wayne Hays — has his life and career influenced over three decades by a baffling crime. The drama also stars a previously announced Carmen Ejogo (Selma) as Amelia Reardon, an Arkansas schoolteacher with a connection to two missing children.

The upcoming installment is set in the Ozarks with a story described by HBO as about a “macabre crime… and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.”

Original showrunner Nic Pizzolatto will be the sole writer of the series (with the exception of episode 4, which he co-wrote with David Milch, who was brought on board to help Pizzolatto shape the season). Pizzolatto will also direct along with Jeremy Saulnier (Green Room), a newcomer to the franchise.

There is no episode count or premiere date yet.

The upcoming installment is set in the Ozarks with a story described by HBO as about a “macabre crime… and a mystery that deepens over decades and plays out in three separate time periods.”

So the notes from HBO consisted of "can't we just go back to hillbillies and mysteries?"  and "Ozark was pretty good, just put this show there."

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2017 at 11:29 AM, Craig H said:

I'll buttfuck your father with your mom's headless corpse on the front lawn!

That last one made me lose it when typing out "buttfuck."

I don't know, that one worked as the one truly balls-to-the-wall, whackadoodle line in the whole show for me. A fat, insecure, alcoholic cop (I know, I know, 3 words too redundant) screaming that at a pre-teen? Yes, please.

Doesn't make up for wasting Colin Farrell otherwise...and Rachel McAdams...and Abigail Spencer...or for subjecting us to the two fistfuls of nails on chalkboards known as Vince Vaughn and Taylor Kitsch... but I thought that scene worked. It might be my only fond memory of that season.

• Like 1

Also still to me the worst single line in the show was the one about how vaping was like sucking a robot's cock, because it was so obvious that the whole reason they had to build it into her character profile that McAdams vaped was just because Nic thought of that driving home one day and thought it was the best line anyone ever wrote.

A close 2nd was the scene where she tries to Cuckoos nest the sex therapy scene with a childishly hack dick monolog. Not just that it was such a fifth grader's idea of naughty talk, but the seriousness of it and how such a spotlight was put on it like it was this pipe bomb moment that was going lay us all out. I was so embarrassed for her.

Weird.  Just today I was thinking of some of Vince Vaughan's horrible lines and wondering how much he could have salvaged that character if he had insisted on saying them more comically, like the Mayor in Buffy. Can you imagine recasting that whole show with the guys from Police Squad? God damn that would be good.