DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

Comcast news pointed out that Tom Clancy, Uncle Phil and Glee OD kid were left off the rememberences.

Tom Clancy is unforgivable given how many movies they based on his books. Dennis Farina is pretty inexcusable, too.

Uncle Phil and Glee Kid, though, make sense since they were TV stars. Did the Glee guy even have a movie credit on his resume?

• Like 1

Comcast news pointed out that Tom Clancy, Uncle Phil and Glee OD kid were left off the rememberences.

Tom Clancy is unforgivable given how many movies they based on his books. Dennis Farina is pretty inexcusable, too.

Uncle Phil and Glee Kid, though, make sense since they were TV stars. Did the Glee guy even have a movie credit on his resume?

Monteith had a few films on his resume, but you're right in that he was primarily a TV star.

One thing I spotted, in the first montage of movies based on "real life heroes", didn't they have a bit of Gregory Peck playing Atticus Finch? Last I checked, To Kill A Mockingbird was a work of fiction. I don't think "loosely inspired by events from the author's life" quite qualifies as "real life hero".

BTW - this is not surprising at all because I am pretty sure we all realized this happens all the time but

Two voters admitted that they voted for 12 Years a Slave for Best Picture without actually seeing it. The quote was something like "they wanted to reward the importance of the movie but didn't want to go through the emotional trauma of watching it."

BTW - this is not surprising at all because I am pretty sure we all realized this happens all the time but

Two voters admitted that they voted for 12 Years a Slave for Best Picture without actually seeing it. The quote was something like "they wanted to reward the importance of the movie but didn't want to go through the emotional trauma of watching it."

Part of me thinks this is bullshit.  How are you going to make a decision like that without seeing the work itself?  That's an insult to the other nominees.

The other part of me knows exactly what they are talking about.  I think I was mad for a week after watching 12 Years A Slave.  It is an experience you have to prep your soul for.

I also ordered out some Italian food for dinner after I watched Fruitville Station with my girlfriend.  I did not need to be out in public in the mood I was in.

Didn't see 12 years, don't want to, for the reasons others have stated. I read enough books to know what happened, I don't need that stuff in my head. I think Gravity was probably hurt by people watching the screeners at home. Even if voters have a 3d tv(and I'm sure they don't), part of the majesty of that movie is the experience on a big screen. Not saying it should have won(i didn't see every nominee), but I find it interesting that it won for directing and editing, but not best picture.  . . . 

• Like 1

Didn't see 12 years, don't want to, for the reasons others have stated. I read enough books to know what happened, I don't need that stuff in my head. I think Gravity was probably hurt by people watching the screeners at home. Even if voters have a 3d tv(and I'm sure they don't), part of the majesty of that movie is the experience on a big screen. Not saying it should have won(i didn't see every nominee), but I find it interesting that it won for directing and editing, but not best picture.  . . . 

You would be pleasantly surprised. When Michael Fassbender's character started singing showtunes, I was like "Man, they got everything in this movie."

Its a horrible experience but a great movie. I would find it difficult to comprehend someone saying that Gravity is the superior film but to each their own. I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle the slave owners and traders..

After watching Fruitvale Station, I had to play GTA 5 as Trevor and gun down many many policemen.

Both 12 Years A Slave and Gravity are great movies because they yank all of that emotion out of you kicking and screaming.  If you watch either of those movies and find yourself unmoved, you are definitely a zombie or dead or something.

Requiem for a Dream, 12 Years as a Slave and Schindler's List all come under the category of "amazing pieces of art, but something you really wouldn't want to sit through more than once."

I'd like to view them more frequently, but yeah, just way too depressing.

12 Years as a Slave is also pretty horrifying because the villains essentially get away with it all. It's so infuriarting.