DVDVR Message Board

Oscars 2014

The Natural

Is anyone else old enough to remember when your school would actually, like, announce to everyone that THE WIZARD OF OZ was going to be on t.v.?

It was always a huge deal.

The Night Oz would air once a year was like a national holiday.

My actual favorite part is on E! now...when they follow everyone with a distant camera and we get to watch them on the phones wanting to know where the fuck their driver is and, like, digging through their handbag for a kleenex.

Also bro-hugs and eye rolls.

Streep is a tremendous actress, but honestly, I was pretty underwhelmed by her in August Osange Country. It felt like a bad version of Nancy Marchand's Livia Soprano...with none of Marchand's subtlety.

Oh thank Christ they abandoned the thing where last year's winners delivered personal face-to-face letters to all the nominees!!!!

Did they do that last year?  Or had it died already by then?

It was either last year, or the year before that they returned to sanity. It was the worst gimmick ever, tied only by that pizza bullshit by ellen.

BhxiY96IYAA0g1B.jpg

So, that's Kevin Spacey in the back, Bill Clinton Spacey beside him, Hugh Jackman Spacey in the front along with Martin Short Spacey and Annette Bening Spacey. I don't recognize the others.

• Like 1

BhxiY96IYAA0g1B.jpg

So, that's Kevin Spacey in the back, Bill Clinton Spacey beside him, Hugh Jackman Spacey in the front along with Martin Short Spacey and Annette Bening Spacey. I don't recognize the others.

They all look like Dave Batista to me.  But this is the only place I can share that.  Although that one dude looks a lot like David Spade and/or Kato Kaelin.

• Like 1

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck it. I miss the way memoriams were done back in the day with soundbites and clips. Less Midler and more Egon explaining stream crossing, Lawrence of Arabia talking about not minding that it hurts and Hoffman yelling SHUT UP.

And the order was off too. Sorry, Hoffman was  not and will never be a bigger star than Peter o'toole. . . 

Oh thank Christ they abandoned the thing where last year's winners delivered personal face-to-face letters to all the nominees!!!!

Did they do that last year?  Or had it died already by then?

It was either last year, or the year before that they returned to sanity. It was the worst gimmick ever, tied only by that pizza bullshit by ellen.

It had to be 2013 because I remember Michael Sheen doing one for Meryl Streep due to her "The Iron Lady" nomination.

Best Film, Best/Supporting Actor/Actress and Director went as expected. Ditto for the technical awards.

tumblr_n1u7z1AeXb1r83d7lo1_400.gif

Go on Meryl!

funniest-2014-oscars-memes-virals-157677

Those who didn't make it:

best-ellens-mega-selfie_157683-fli_13938

funniest-2014-oscars-memes-virals-157677

This photo was posted a few back but needs to again as it's so good.

Also:

tumblr_n1uhxzEE091szeb7do1_500.gif

Midler doing an extended jam like this is Bonnaroo or something.

That was completely pointless. It's not like Barbara Hershey died!

Perhaps but unlike that pizza bullshit at least it was entertaining. . . 

Still loving Lupita Njongo's brother photo-bombing the shot.

That was hilarious.  30 years from now, someone will look at that photo and say "Look at all the Oscar winners and honorees!  Hey, how did the movie version of A Different World work out, does anyone remember?  The guy casted as Dwayne Wayne was all in the jammy that year."