DVDVR Message Board

TNA releases thread

Strangley I think if Spike did buy TNA we'd see even more generically tatted up wrestlers and Bellator fighters then we do now.

I smell a Russian invasion of Frodo Khasbulaev, Andrey Koreshkov, Shahbulat Shamhalaev, and Alexander Shlemenko. I want to hear Tazz butcher those names.

Only if it leads to a Lethal Lockdown match featuring Angle Joe Sting & Rampage vs The Russian Invaders

Strangley I think if Spike did buy TNA we'd see even more generically tatted up wrestlers and Bellator fighters then we do now.

I smell a Russian invasion of Frodo Khasbulaev, Andrey Koreshkov, Shahbulat Shamhalaev, and Alexander Shlemenko. I want to hear Tazz butcher those names.

Figures.  Right after I retire. 

• Like 2

Meltzer's wet dream would be that Bellator reality show they are doing now ending with a Frank Shamrock wrestling match. 

Frank vs. Ken. Winner keeps the Shamrock name.

• Like 1

Meltzer's wet dream would be that Bellator reality show they are doing now ending with a Frank Shamrock wrestling match. 

Frank vs. Ken. Winner keeps the Shamrock name.

So they are bringing Russo back?

• Like 1

The fact that the man who broke Jessie's neck (accidently of course) is still on the roster while Jessie isn't tells you how little he is getting paid in the company.  They must be paying him in hair spray and coupons to Hooters. 

Actually given the fact that TNA didn't offer a dime to help with Zema's recent surgery,  they probably can afford to keep him on the roster. 

Ring of Honor has to be kicking themsleves in the ass for how awful they have been business wise in the last 2 years.  even if TNA drops dead they are so far behind that nobody even recognizes 3rd place

The fact that the man who broke Jessie's neck (accidently of course) is still on the roster while Jessie isn't tells you how little he is getting paid in the company.  They must be paying him in hair spray and coupons to Hooters. 

Or maybe it's because Ion's a better character and wrestler, and Sorensen has stated that he isn't going to wrestle any more(at least that's what it says on his  Wiki). I feel bad he broke his neck, but a year and a half later and he's not even going to come back, you gotta wonder how much longer do we give this guy a pity check.

Figures.  Right after I retire. 

Terry Funk said the same thing once. 

• Like 2

Dixie shouldn't have said he had a job for life

Also couldn't they keep him in production where he was working?

If the issue is that he makes way more than most production assistants in the company,  they could have cut his pay to the same level.  Then if he quits he has the "well I gave him a chance for a work and he refused" talk.

"I am a former professional wrestler for TNA Impact Wrestling seen every Thursday night on SpikeTV. On Feb. 12th 2012 during a live match on pay per view vs Zema Ion I suffered a severe neck injury sustaining a broke C-1 vertebrae & herniated C-5 & C-6. After a long recovery process & being promised by the President of TNA Impact Wrestling TNA Dixie Carter I would always have a job with her company, I recently was released from my current contract & shown that those promises were false."

-- Jesse Sorensen

He says he's gotten into bodybuilding recently. I'm sure that's helped them make their decision since that's probably stopped the whole "poor guy who broke his neck for us and needs our help"  mentality. It seems like he made a recovery and is back in good shape and never going to wrestle again. It's actually a rare example of TNA doing the right thing for someone. They were just stupid to promise him a job for life.

• Like 1

So he goes from minor league wrestling to amateur bodybuilding? At least he's already used to being paid peanuts.

And this thread makes me miss those old post-WM WWE purge threads. Where's the wrestling Stats Guy? I want to know who has been released the most times by WWE.

I bet it's William Regal. Or Goldust.

IANAL, but wouldn't Dixie's promise and subsequent reneging on that promise be actionable enough for Sorensen to bring suit against Dixie/TNA/Panda Energy? A hilarious twist would be Vince ordering convincing McDevitt to do pro bono work and represent Sorensen in a lawsuit.

Didn't the WWE really give Droz a job for life, and generally take care of everything he needed?  Just sayin'.  When Vincent Kennedy McMahon is a paragon of humane employee treatment compared to you... well, you suck.  

• Like 3

You know things aren't good when they have to drag out Double J to reassure people.

They should let Brooke Hogan go in order to get morale up.  They got to show they're willing to sacrifice, brother.

Maybe TNA will finally learn that there's no magic bullet.  Not some high priced talent signing.  Not live TV.  Not taping on the road.  I wonder if they've ever even tried to get state film tax credits for their TV tapings.

Didn't the WWE really give Droz a job for life, and generally take care of everything he needed?  Just sayin'.  When Vincent Kennedy McMahon is a paragon of humane employee treatment compared to you... well, you suck.

Well that's not really apples to apples though. But that probably doesn't take away from your general point.

I've heard since TNA started that it's only a matter of time before they close up.  At the start I kind of believed it, but figured as time went on the chances of that were slim.  They've been great, they've sucked donkey balls, and they've been at the least doing good in a lot of aspects.  But this is the closest I've come to believing they're done for in their existence.  Not just releasing a bunch of people, but people that would indicate a pretty bad PR move.  So many cuts, and some of them are pretty bad PR moves.  Jesse's doing well and doesn't need sympathy anymore (good for him) but when promised a job for life and not getting it that doesn't sit well with a lot of people.  If they recover somehow then good for them and I'll be pleased.  But it's getting hard to believe that at this rate they'll recover.

Well isn't their roster pretty bloated anyway? I've been thinking they've needed to make cuts for a long time now. Of course I also thought they'd be better cutting some of the bigger names when some young guys could do just as well. Will cutting Kennedy, Hardy, Hulkster, Bischoff, and a few others hurt their ratings? Probably not. Are they selling that much merch or house show stuff to make up for it?

Will cutting Kennedy, Hardy, Hulkster, Bischoff, and a few others hurt their ratings? Probably not. Are they selling that much merch or house show stuff to make up for it?

I'm not a fan of his work, but Hardy probably is their top draw... especially on the house show and merch side of things.  He probably doesn't effect ratings much. 

Will cutting Kennedy, Hardy, Hulkster, Bischoff, and a few others hurt their ratings? Probably not. Are they selling that much merch or house show stuff to make up for it?

I look at it in the context of whether or not cutting those people will harm relations with the network. I've read that Hulk's contract is supposedly directly witrh Spike/Viacom rather than TNA.