DVDVR Message Board

TNA releases thread

• 3 weeks later...

So Cal Val just got released. Always preferred her to Christy Hemme.

"Thank u #ImpactWrestling ,the lockerroom & esp the fans for 9 wonderful years. No longer w the company. Really excited 2 see what's NEXT"

• Like 1

Apparently Devon's gone too and Styles might not be far behind. I'm fine with that. TNA should trim the roster. I wasn't a fan of Devon and although I like AJ, he's been with the company since its inception and has done everything that could be done. And hey, if he comes back in a few years with all new talent, it could be fun.

Apparently Devon's gone too and Styles might not be far behind. I'm fine with that. TNA should trim the roster. I wasn't a fan of Devon and although I like AJ, he's been with the company since its inception and has done everything that could be done. And hey, if he comes back in a few years with all new talent, it could be fun.

That assumes that there's still a TNA in a few years.

• Like 1

So Cal Val just got released. Always preferred her to Christy Hemme.

"Thank u #ImpactWrestling ,the lockerroom & esp the fans for 9 wonderful years. No longer w the company. Really excited 2 see what's NEXT"

My guess: more booth babe gigs.

I think AJ will stay in TNA also, unless he wants to enter a new career field he has no where else to go. What is he going to do, sign with ROH? WWE won't push hard to get him, he's nearly 40 and doesn't do anything WWE is lacking.

AJ has very little leverage for negotiating, even though he's worth a lot to TNA he has no value to anyone else and has no where else to really go.

That assumes that there's still a TNA in a few years.

Oh man I thought I time warped back to 2004. Or 2006. Maybe 2009. Definiitely last year at least.

Just curious, but in 2004, or 2006, or 2009, or last year was TNA releasing a bunch of people and paying the rest late?  Or is that a recent thing? 

I think the best thing that AJ Styles could do for himself and TNA is to give his face a rest for awhile.  Like mco543 said, Styles is incredibly valuable to TNA, but not necessarily anyone else.  He needs to pull a Jericho: go home, rest up, play with his kids, and come back in 9-12months... when it might be nice to see him again.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  Meanwhile he could do a couple tours of AAA or over in Japan to make a few bucks and keep a light schedule.  

EDIT: I am very proud of the DVDVR, and the regular TNA thread posters, because no one posted about the Brooke Hogan release.  We skipped over it completely in this thread.  Kudos to us!

I think there's a handful of guys that TNA should try to retain no matter the cost and AJ Styles is at the top of the list.  Dude's in his physical prime, works every show, never gets hurt, and stays over inspite of the company.  He really has been their franchise player since day one even though they've rarely treated him like it.  If TNA doesn't give him exactly what he wants then they're sending a horrible message to the rest of the remaining roster.

If TNA's so cash poor now that they can't afford to pay So Cal Val the peanuts she was getting then they seriously need to go ahead and dump Hulk Hogan.  I'm sure they've spent more on just his car service than they've paid her and a lot of these other recently released talents for their entire runs there.

I think there's a handful of guys that TNA should try to retain no matter the cost and AJ Styles is at the top of the list.  Dude's in his physical prime, works every show, never gets hurt, and stays over inspite of the company.  He really has been their franchise player since day one even though they've rarely treated him like it.  If TNA doesn't give him exactly what he wants then they're sending a horrible message to the rest of the remaining roster.

If TNA's so cash poor now that they can't afford to pay So Cal Val the peanuts she was getting then they seriously need to go ahead and dump Hulk Hogan.  I'm sure they've spent more on just his car service than they've paid her and a lot of these other recently released talents for their entire runs there.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that Hogan's contract was actual with Spike Tv, ala Turner WCW era, which I think is the main reason he hasn't totally bailed on TNA yet. I believe Spike also helps pay for Sting and maybe Kurt Angle's contracts too, though I'm not sure about it. 

I'm of the opinion TNA's existence is pretty much tied into their deal with Spike and their death is unlikely unless Spike TV just completely gives up on them or gets back together with WWE. Other wise Spike's clearly interested in using TNA as a launching pad for Bellator, how well or poorly that may work,and as such will probably continue to prop the company up so long as they don't completely tank in the ratings. 

Also apparently they just signed Manik to an actual contract. Which is interesting only in that means they put a belt on an unsigned and Vince didn't immediately sign him just to be an asshole. 

Spike helps but Hogan gets a lot more than Angle and Sting per appearance.  TNA shoulders the majority including all his travel perks and he's not flying coach then heading over to the Hertz stand and sharing a car with three other guys and then rolling over to the Courtyard to check-in.

And I'm not sure Styles doesn't have any negotiating leverage.  WWE's stocked well on credible heels but they're not exactly overflowing with credible main event babyfaces right now.  Cena and Sheamus are hurt.  They just turned Orton.  RVD's a non-factor, they've fumbled with Ziggler and before that they dropped the ball on Del Rio and completely shit the bed with Ryback.

Sign Styles to a two-year deal, let him keep his name, push him as a big deal and they'll have another credible main event babyface.  Plus, they'll be setting an example for Sting that WWE is willing to treat an "outsider" with respect so maybe Triple H can accomplish the "impossible" for a second year by getting Sting into WWE for the HOF and the WrestleMania match against Undertaker.

Have Barrett and Fandango beat down Miz.  Next week Flair tells Miz he got him a tag team partner that's "Phenomenal".  Styles debuts on Raw, same name, same pyro shower intro, flys around off the top, dropkicks those two tall dudes right in the face, and finishes one of them off with either the Styles Clash or Calf Killer, and just like that WWE has another credible babyface headliner.  Maybe he saves Bryan from the Shield later that night or next week.  Beats Ambrose for the US Title and then says he's going after Orton next.  Miz somehow gets a US Title match but it ends in a no-contest when The Shield takes out the ref.  For the rematch, Flair gets named special ref and he and Miz turn and join up with Trips' crew.  Styles teases that he's got someone to watch his back and the lights go out and a scorpion logo appears on the TitanTron.  At whatever PPV is before WrestleMania, they can either do Miz & Orton w/Flair vs. Bryan & Styles w/Sting or The Shield vs. Bryan/Styles/Sting and the next night on Raw for Sting's first promo, he just howls and points his bat at the WrestleMania sign.

• Like 4

WWE should sign AJ. He has enough of a built-in audience already and he's a really good wrestler. And hey, you never know how well he might do. I never thought Daniel Bryan would be where he is now. At worst, he can put over others and he'll be one of the best workers in the company. It's not often that WWE gets a bone thrown at them like this.

AJ is someone who is really underrated and under appreciated. He's been one of the most consistent wrestlers ever and he never gets the credit he deserves.

• Like 1

I think he has a run in the WWE in him even if he's not AJ Styles "The Phenomal" Allan Jones isn't too far off and there's a whole plethora of guys I along with alot of others would enjoy seeing him work with