DVDVR Message Board

What are Russo's biggest lies/dumbest things he's said publically? This ranks up there as number one, right? He was tweeting last night about WWE making the refs look stupid and how he hates that. Also, in one of his many shoots, he says he never gave anyone a finish to a match. That can't be right?

WWE effectively had to pay nothing in the settlement because what wasn't covered by insurance was paid for by their own lawsuit against the snap shackle company (they marketed it for stunt use even though it wasn't safe/approved).

Wasn't there a long-time rumor that the snap shackle wasn't even one meant for this sort of thing, that it was supposed to be used as a harness on sailboats or something like that?

What are Russo's biggest lies/dumbest things he's said publically?

Oh come on, let's be real. DVDVR's database isn't THAT big. The bandwidth costs alone for a truly comprehensive List Of Russo's Big Lies would drive poor Rippa into bankruptcy!

My favorites are some of his amazing justifications for his provably-disastrous time in WCW, especially whenever he starts talking about ratings. Listening to Russo talk about ratings is like listening to Bernie Madoff talk about profit margins: no matter what he says, you just know his numbers are wrong.

He was tweeting last night about WWE making the refs look stupid and how he hates that.

That's richer than the Koch brothers, coming from a guy who probably can't even sleep through the night without muttering "zzz... zzz... bump the ref... zzz..."

Also, in one of his many shoots, he says he never gave anyone a finish to a match. That can't be right?

I'd love to make a snarky joke like "having seen the finishes on HIS shows, I believe it!". But no, that can't possibly be true. Even if the wrestlers or the agents or Vince himself did most of the work regarding the finishes, there's no fucking way that Russo NEVER gave anyone a finish in his combined decade-long career as a head booker in multiple companies.
  • Like 1

Back on topic about much smarter people: I really love Austin as an interviewer and host. It shouldn't be a surprise that perhaps the greatest money-drawing-promo man in the history of the business is an incredibly entertaining off-the-cuff talker; but those two skills REALLY are different animals, and lots of people can't do both. What I love about his interviews is how damn thorough he is. He'll ask a guest what they think about a topic, they'll give an answer, and they're barely done talking when he's already asking them WHY~! they hold that opinion. He's like the anti-Feinstein, he keeps chasing his subtopics into deeper and more specific rabbit holes until he gets to the bottom of every damn thing in the world. He's awesome, period. I mean, guys like Jericho/Cabana/Ross/Cornette/other usual suspects are great of course, but they rarely seem to cover most subjects in such exhaustive depth as Austin does.

Hell, he devoted like five minutes of the first Daniels podcast to simply trying to perfectly describe what it felt like to step bare-footed in a pile of dogshit! And that sounds like the grossest thing in the world (although it would just be par for the course for practically any of the extended-family Smodcast shows), but Steve somehow made it bizarrely compelling, as if you were listening to Superman bitchily complain about how difficult it was to trim his toenails and describing the whole process to you. (Him getting a visiting Jim Ross to do reenacted play-by-play of the moment was just the bonus on top.)

• Like 1

Someone needs to do up a fake poster for a card with Austin and the Monster Meng (preferably with ABA afro) vs. some roided up rats, maybe the sewer rat from the Penguins of Madagascar.  Undercard match should have Mr. Fly in a match.  Maybe a Sasquatch Pussy Snorkel on a pole match.

• Like 1

Austin needs to continue the "one time I was out floundering gag." Who would have guessed that Steve would have been this great at dry humor, but I have laughed during his podcast over the last year more than I have laughed at anything else.

What are Russo's biggest lies/dumbest things he's said publically? This ranks up there as number one, right? He was tweeting last night about WWE making the refs look stupid and how he hates that. Also, in one of his many shoots, he says he never gave anyone a finish to a match. That can't be right?

Russo has said that the finishes are totally up to the agents and the only input he has is telling them in advance where the story is going so that they can come up with a finish that moves the story. Russo has also said that the day Ed Ferrara was hired (King of the Ring 1998), Vince and Vince couldn't think of a good finish for Austin/Kane and Ferrara was the one who suggested Undertaker inadvertently hit Austin with the chair causing him to bleed.

So, yeah.

WWE effectively had to pay nothing in the settlement because what wasn't covered by insurance was paid for by their own lawsuit against the snap shackle company (they marketed it for stunt use even though it wasn't safe/approved).

Wasn't there a long-time rumor that the snap shackle wasn't even one meant for this sort of thing, that it was supposed to be used as a harness on sailboats or something like that?

That's exactly what it was, but since the manufacturer was aware of its use in stuntwork and issued an advisory about it (I'd have to check if they explicitly marketed it for that use), it was a fairly easy to get a settlement.

Yeah, all the major players are framing it as a "victim of our own success" type of deal.  A $110 million dollar deal doesn't fall apart because someone no shows or faxes the wrong papers.  ECW had a TV deal on the table, a $110 million loan, and sell out house every night...and still couldn't make it.  Seems fishy.  

Weren't the financial details all made public knowledge at some point?  Like, during a court hearing or something.  Kinda like Gertner told me one time, "We always thought the WWF was our enemy, until it turned out they owned 10% of us."  

Well Heyman says the ppv companies owed them some 2.5 million which Meltzer backed up but I always wad Uber the impression they were making close to $7 million dollars a year in revenue but spending $7.1. Trying to think about all this really does make Heyman the scummiest guy in wrestling.I mean, he didn't trick out his daughter or anything but all those dudes really came out in horrible positions.