DVDVR Message Board

summary of the Bischoff Q&A

he doesn't remember much of 1998/1999

Not that surprised having read Controversy Creates Cash.

I thought his answers around Bret Hart were quite revealing though, the stuff around Hogan having an opinion about Bret and expressing it - but absolutely not burying him i.e. Hogan didn't need to bury him, because Bischoff never saw Hart as the top guy. They needed him because they had been asked for 2 more hours of TV a week. The stuff about Bret Hart not showing up until late I'll take with a pinch of salt.

Austin can get on your nerves sometimes because he's not afraid to ask a tough question, but then doesn't call the interviewee out when he gives some bs response.

Also, he's way too hard on himself for his time in WCW. He wasn't a can't miss prospect but without question he was viewed as someone who had a future.

My take on Bischoff and Hart: Bischoff was not enamored with Bret Hart. Bischoff wanted to take down WWF.  Snatching Bret Hart away from WWF would be devastating to the WWF and Bischoff had the money to do it.  Once Bischoff landed Hart there wasn't a plan to do anything with him. WCW was wildly successful at the time and none of the top guys were going to be especially welcoming or want to elevate Hart.

I also wish Austin or a listener would have asked about all of the ridiculous contracts given out to guys who would wind up never appearing on more than a couple shows.

Haven't listened to part four, but found it odd in the Q&A that he had so much praise for Flair when there's that famous story of him pointing out that Flair was never a draw.  It seems throughout like he has/had a sour taste for all Southern wrestling. 

I may have misheard it in part 4, but does Bischoff throw Russo under the bus? He does it in such a subtle way, but I didn't think they had any heat.

Judging from Russo's WCW 2000 timeline he did with Kayfabe Commentaries, I don't think they had the greatest relationship. Russo sounded like he felt Bischoff was constantly killing him behind his back and couldn't be trusted.

I also wish Austin or a listener would have asked about all of the ridiculous contracts given out to guys who would wind up never appearing on more than a couple shows.

I'm sure they'd find a way to turn that into bitching about Marc Mero.

Oh fuck! That's gonna be awesome. I really, really hope though he spends more time talking about Triple H's current job and his vision for the future of the company (and some developmental guys) than they do spending time talking about Trip's time in DX or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...