DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

Sin City 2:  The fucking Marv makeup just looked like Robert Z'dar.

Why even have Stacy Keach if yer just putting him in a tater head mask for 2 minutes?

Then, yer always trying to figure out where you are in the continuity.

God damn this was dumb.

It's the Rebirth of Mothra trilogy from the late 90's.

After they killed Godzilla in Vs. Destroyah (in order to ship him over to Sony for a planned trilogy that ended as that disaster we all know and fucking hate) Toho wanted to keep making daikaiju eiga, so they brushed off the second most popular kaiju, Mothra, and gave him his own trilogy of films.  They aren't particularly good (although Desghidorrah from the first one is a fucking awesome monster design.)

Yeah, they are kinda there, definitely more geared as kids movies than the Godzilla revival series.  Buuuuuut.... the third one does have Atsushi Onita playing a truck drivin' dad of the lead kids.  And yes, he does get to cry in the movie.

If any of you folks get a chance try and find THE NOAH. Netfliz has it on disc, and actually youtube has the whole damned thing, so...you know it's not that hard to find.

Robert Strauss who you might remember from Stalag 17 or the handy man from The Seven Year Itch among a TON of other shit plays the last man on earth. This guy:

MV5BNTUzMzU0Mzg5OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQw

He's a military man and he starts making up people to keep him company. It's a really brilliant movie that has a pretty intense, maddening finale. Some beautiful use of sound and Strauss gives a hellacious performance - it was his last. Really do try and check it out, it seems to be forgotten and more people should hit it up.

A lot of Alien happens in the dark.Aliens too, some of it in the rain, even. No CGI there.

Lance Henrickson interview:

She asks him what he thought of Prometheus.

Good interview, never heard of her show, it looks interesting, thanks.  Also: reminds me that my dream project is a well-funded cable television Aliens: Colonial Marines series.  

I know this isn't the video game board (and honestly I haven't played anything in years) but the trailer for Alien: Isolation keeps playing on Adult Swim and it is goddamn terrifying. It's even quoted as being "terrifying" in the ad. I could seriously not play that game. 

Man, I can't wait to be in the theater when people react to "the twist." Turning over to page 200 or so in the book and seeing that floored me.

The trailers are setting up audiences for the liver kick quite nicely.  It will be what you expected and not what you expected at the same time.

Do I need to need GONE GIRL?  I'm mucho behind on that sort of thing.

At 87% Freshness on the day before release, I would say that you need to need every frame of Gone Girl.

Rex Reed hates it which means that I will probably think it is totally awesome.

After watching the trailer again at lunch, I may have to spend a few extra dollars and pick up Trent Reznor's score.   The track in that clip is haunting!

Need to need.  D'OH! ^_^

Need to read, obviously.

It sounded okay the first time. :)

My new answer is yes and no.   The book is really good but Fincher has already said that the movie will diverge from the plot of the book.  This is acceptable since Gillian Flynn, the book's author, wrote the screenplay..

The book is pretty damn good, though. My girlfriend was like, "I'm going to know the exact moment when you get to the part I want you to get to because you're going to lose your shit and tell me." She was right.

Soooooo fucking pumped for this. In David Fincher we trust...well, except for that Fight Club comic book sequel he and Chuckie P are working out. That thing sounds so dumb.

Gone Girl was SOOOOO goddamn good. Really, really awesome. There's a moment in it too that, visually, I think will rank up there with some of the most iconic images in movie history.