DVDVR Message Board

2014 MOVIE OMNIBUS THREAD

RIPPA

For me it's A Serbian Film and Irreversable.  The latter, that one scene, my goodness, it was hard to sit through the first time let alone trying to watch it again.  For the former, I sat through it once, do not need to sit through it again.

I'm gonna keep spitballing here. What is a movie that you should probably watch once and never watch again, because it's too disturbing/traumatising? I brought up Jacob's Ladder on here before and the closest thing to that I could think of was Monster. I can watch crazy, sick shit like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer again, but with Monster I only needed the one.

Requiem for a Dream

I'm gonna keep spitballing here. What is a movie that you should probably watch once and never watch again, because it's too disturbing/traumatising? I brought up Jacob's Ladder on here before and the closest thing to that I could think of was Monster. I can watch crazy, sick shit like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer again, but with Monster I only needed the one.

Requiem for a Dream.

Nailed it. I hate that movie so much. So so much.

I don't think there's any movie that is a "one and done" for me.

Obviously, I assume we're talking about good films, because yeah, of course, there's a thousand turds I have no reason to watch again.

Am I the only person who wasn't distraught by Requiem for a Dream? I'm an easy target for emotional films. Throw in some strings to a sad scene and you've probably got me, so it's not a case of being soulless. I actually can't even recall much of the film, so it obviously didn't hit me in any way at all.

Borat? REALLY??

I spaced on the traumatizing part. That said, you really only need to watch it once.
NOT TRUE. Borat was the last movie I saw in theaters twice because I was laughing so hard first time around I missed half the jokes. Besides, a lil' teabagging never hurt nobody that wasn't tied down to a bench in the lockerroom after practice.

Oh c'mon. Pink Flamingos is the funniest damn thing ever. But that's my sense of humor. 

Rippa hit it out of the ballpark with Schindler's List. That is exactly the type of film I'm talking about. A absolute classic that destroys you and you never need to see but the once. Requiem I can see being that for some people -- I own the book and have never read it just because. Its artistic precedence can allow me to watch it every once in awhile. Either that or I am feeling particularly nihilistic. 

I watched Pink Flamingos once because I wanted to see the infamous scene.  That whole movie was a hot mess and I never care to watch it again.

I'm still trying to find the courage to watch that.  I'm a huge fan of John Waters' more mainstream work, but I can't bring myself to watch Pink Flamingos just yet.  I will eventually, as I find Waters hilarious.

Add me to the "one time for all time" pile for Dancer In The Dark. Antichrist as well. Plus the movie adaptation of The Cement Garden. Basically, you could draw a venn diagram of Lars Von Trier overlapping with Charlotte Gainsbourg. I'm unlikely to watch more than once, despite my stalker potential totally healthy Charlotte Gainsbourg obsession.

Irreversible made me want to smash my flatscreen.  I would rather watch Cannibal Holocaust again and that's saying a lot because I find both movies to be repulsive..

I can deal with weird (Antichrist) or gross (Pink Flamingos), but sexual assault or brutality against women or scenes of children in peril make me extremely uncomfortable. 

It takes all I can muster to sit still through the scene in Blade: Trinity when Dracula tosses the infant off of the roof as a distraction because he knows that Blade will save the baby and that is a PG-13 flick.

I absolutely love Fruitvale Station, but the scene that shows the cell phone video of the actual event that stops just shy of the shooting is nigh unwatchable.  I understand why it's there but I think it's a really sketchy call.  It's almost like watching a snuff film.

I can't understand the people that watch Cannibal Holocaust, witness all of the violence albeit simulated, and find the scene where the actors kill and eat the live turtle to be the most disturbing thing in that movie.

I will never watch Mysterious Skin again, way too disturbing.

Re: Cannibal Holocaust, I can stand simulated violence to a great extent. I can stand simulated rape to a very small extent. I can't stand seeing a turtle having its shell hacked off to reveal glimmering guts while its legs flail in impotent horror. Seeing that for the first time (and I was pretty blazed at the time) was just the worst.

I can't understand the people that watch Cannibal Holocaust, witness all of the violence albeit simulated, and find the scene where the actors kill and eat the live turtle to be the most disturbing thing in that movie.

Because the actors agreed to simulate the violence, were paid for it (I assume) and at the end of the day got up, cleaned off, and went home without actually being tortured or killed and went on to do other things.  Meanwhile the turtle was just chilling being a turtle before being unwillingly tortured and mutilated and killed needlessly for the sake of "entertainment".....as well as the other animals killed for the movie.

• Like 1

I may have told this story already.

When I was 4, my oldest brother and sister went over to the neighbors to watch a Friday the 13th movie on HBO (I'm not sure which, there was a barn or large shed involved)  I snuck over and watched via the screen door until the barn scene, when a number onscreen deaths occurred.  Scared the hell out of me, so I ran back home and vowed to find out how they did all that so it wouldn't happen again.

Fast forward to the present and I can sit through pretty much any "schock" film because it's just bad effects work.

Yesterday I watched The Way Way Back on HBO and it was actually pretty great. Steve Carell is a complete and utter dick, but Duncan, the main character is such a likable kid and I found myself rooting for him quite a bit. The gist is that Duncan and his mom, played by Toni Collette head to the mom's boyfriend's summer house. The boyfriend is played by Carell and the boyfriend brings his dirtbag daughter with them. Duncan is such an introvert and is totally awkward and Carell does his best to make Duncan feel like complete shit. Duncan eventually finds a nearby waterpark run by Owen, who is played by Sam Rockwell. Rockwell brings it so hard in this movie and becomes the dad you wish you had. Anyway, it's a little indy movie that deserved more attention than it received. It's not the best movie in the world, but I liked it a lot. 8/10.

My movie ratings:

Premium Rush - 6/10 (Lowered the score after thinking about the movie some more)

Godzilla - 7/10

The Way Way Back - 8/10

Add me to the "one time for all time" pile for Dancer In The Dark. Antichrist as well. Plus the movie adaptation of The Cement Garden. Basically, you could draw a venn diagram of Lars Von Trier overlapping with Charlotte Gainsbourg. I'm unlikely to watch more than once, despite my stalker potential totally healthy Charlotte Gainsbourg obsession.

Just want to mention that it is directly due to your sad obsession that, a few googles later, I am now listening to a ton of Serge Gainsbourg.  Let me tell you it's a goddamn trip, man.