DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

I've met Danny Hodge a few times even at the age he was at (this was six or seven years ago) he still had a strong grip. It was the Reno World of Wrestling tournament that kids wrestle in and Danny Hodge crushed an apple with one hand before the tournament started. It was pretty cool.

That's one lawn you get the fuck OFF of.

• Like 2

Checked up the Evolve iPPV yesterday and the image quality was excellent. Kudos for them for going HD. The stream was flawless, I was never so happy watching an iPPV (I seldom watch them live).

Rob Naylor on commentary and very good matches in Trent Baretta vs Tony Nese and Chris Hero vs Ricochet made for a good night. Davey Richards vs AR Fox had its moments but Fox just isn't ready for that kind of 1v1 matches.

Richards spitted on the Evolve title and said he was better than Danielson, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Chris Hero etc. and gave the finger to the fans and Evolve. AR Fox looked legit surprised at that, not sure if he knew it would happen. Childish Davey jealous of AR Fox is much better than the cliche feel good "you are all such great wrestlers~".

Also, planting the seeds for a Chris Hero vs Trent Baretta feud and Roderick Strong will challenge Gargano on the DGUSA February shows and Ricochet will get a title shot in the Mania Weekend. 

Evolve/DGUSA is looking a lot better.

I'm watching WWE Main Event on Hulu right now, the ADR-Justin Gabriel match. Does the announce teams in WWE know of ONE FUCKING MOVE?!? At least pretend to kno or make up some shit ala Tony Schiavone.

Now that JR has retired, they could use someone to work with their young announcers, like Sara Del Rey with the Divas. I've offered my services, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.  Of course, they could always just watch this: http://bit.ly/UN2dst

Checked up the Evolve iPPV yesterday and the image quality was excellent. Kudos for them for going HD. The stream was flawless, I was never so happy watching an iPPV (I seldom watch them live).

Rob Naylor on commentary and very good matches in Trent Baretta vs Tony Nese and Chris Hero vs Ricochet made for a good night. Davey Richards vs AR Fox had its moments but Fox just isn't ready for that kind of 1v1 matches.

Richards spitted on the Evolve title and said he was better than Danielson, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Chris Hero etc. and gave the finger to the fans and Evolve. AR Fox looked legit surprised at that, not sure if he knew it would happen. Childish Davey jealous of AR Fox is much better than the cliche feel good "you are all such great wrestlers~".

Also, planting the seeds for a Chris Hero vs Trent Baretta feud and Roderick Strong will challenge Gargano on the DGUSA February shows and Ricochet will get a title shot in the Mania Weekend. 

I was at the show live in Ybor.

Pretty packed crowd, very vocal and fun.

The Trent/Neese match was just awesome. They did a lot of PWG style super combo killer to kick-out. Trent really puts on great matches and the ones i've seen of him in FIP have usually been pretty good. I like Neese from his match with Cage in PWG, so I was stoked to see him live. Dude is IN SHAPE. Also, Trent had an awesome line when putting over Neese (as an original dude buster), after saying Neese was missing something, but wasn't really sure what it was he said, "I don't know what that means, but I said it!" Trent is pretty funny. Nice guy too, always walks around the end of the shows with a PBR.

I really liked Hero/Richochette - Two different styles, but it worked really well. I was totally expecting Hero to go over with the Hero runs the Gauntlet gimmick, but both looked strong. They also used the poles in the building in a sick spot where Hero pushed Ricochet off the top, to the outside and into the support pole.

Gargano is an awesome as a heel. When he came out he was doing his thing and saw a little boy, held his hand up for a high five, gives the kid a high five then tells the kid to give him a hug. He does. The look are Garganos face was so evil/dick/heel it was perfect. He then does more of his stuff, gets in the ring, goes to the corners, gets booed. Goes to the corner where the little boy is, the boy waves at him! Gargano feigns heartache. I don't know if it came across on the broadcast, but it was awesome.

I love Chuck Taylor. He was sold out of his Chuck on a Bike shirt in my size so I bought the stupid Stick Figure Best Friends shirt. Love it.

Young Bucks are awesome. I hope they get a chance in NXT at some point. I like them better as heels in PWG, but they are a really great Tag Team. They also have likes 17 shirts for sale at the Gimmick Table.

Manzk, How did the Brovados come across in the iPPV. I like them, but i've read other places they don't seem to get over.

Fantastic show! I'm going to do my best to catch up on more Evolve/DGUSA from now on.

I was at the show live in Ybor.

Pretty packed crowd, very vocal and fun.

The Trent/Neese match was just awesome. They did a lot of PWG style super combo killer to kick-out. Trent really puts on great matches and the ones i've seen of him in FIP have usually been pretty good. I like Neese from his match with Cage in PWG, so I was stoked to see him live. Dude is IN SHAPE. Also, Trent had an awesome line when putting over Neese (as an original dude buster), after saying Neese was missing something, but wasn't really sure what it was he said, "I don't know what that means, but I said it!" Trent is pretty funny. Nice guy too, always walks around the end of the shows with a PBR.

I really liked Hero/Richochette - Two different styles, but it worked really well. I was totally expecting Hero to go over with the Hero runs the Gauntlet gimmick, but both looked strong. They also used the poles in the building in a sick spot where Hero pushed Ricochet off the top, to the outside and into the support pole.

Gargano is an awesome as a heel. When he came out he was doing his thing and saw a little boy, held his hand up for a high five, gives the kid a high five then tells the kid to give him a hug. He does. The look are Garganos face was so evil/dick/heel it was perfect. He then does more of his stuff, gets in the ring, goes to the corners, gets booed. Goes to the corner where the little boy is, the boy waves at him! Gargano feigns heartache. I don't know if it came across on the broadcast, but it was awesome.

I love Chuck Taylor. He was sold out of his Chuck on a Bike shirt in my size so I bought the stupid Stick Figure Best Friends shirt. Love it.

Young Bucks are awesome. I hope they get a chance in NXT at some point. I like them better as heels in PWG, but they are a really great Tag Team. They also have likes 17 shirts for sale at the Gimmick Table.

Manzk, How did the Brovados come across in the iPPV. I like them, but i've read other places they don't seem to get over.

Fantastic show! I'm going to do my best to catch up on more Evolve/DGUSA from now on.

Man, one of the things that drive me crazy is when DGUSA/Evolve shows have good houses the hard cam is on the packed side, which means that instead of seeing a packed venue you actually look at the side that has the least people.

Nese has always been in great shape, he is starting to get better at "wrestling" per se. Trent is my favourite guy on the roster, he is a taller Jerry Lynn and a more consistent and with stronger mat/chain work. I thought they went a little too far with the Dudebuster countered into the Reverse Rana, they lost a the crowd a bit by that point, but that's ok. Really amazing work with crazy spots separated by good double down spots, count out teases, etc. 

Trent's promos were both short and great. I think that Hero beats Nese and Ricochet beats Trent tonight and we get a Trent and Nese vs Hero and Ricochet tag team out of it and then Trent vs Hero at Mania Weekend (and also Hero vs Tozawa at some point).

Hero punching Ricochet in the face every time he tried to show off with the extra flips was great as was Hero calling out to Ricochet's younger days with the "you're still a 16 years old bitch" line. Seemed like they planned some big key spots and just had fun in between.

Did you see Johnny Gargano's toast on the last DGUSA show? That was amazing. He's character is so simple but still great: the people started to like him when he became a champion so he believes that as long as he is the champ he will be liked and respected and is in complete denial with the fact that cheating to win the title matches has turned the crowd against him. Sure, it's a bit cartoonish but "it's wrestling, who cares". He made a toast to himself and had fans cutting promos on him as well as Chuck Taylor and Ricochet burying him and he was still acting as if everybody was putting him over until Rich Swann came with a guitar and did a version of Bonie Tyler's "I need a hero" with the lyrics going like "we need a Hero to beat Johnny Gargano tonigh, he's got to be strong and he's got to be fast, Chris Hero's gonna kick your ass~!" right before Hero's music starts playing. It was a reality check for Johnny and the crowd went nuts.

Chuck is great, he can lose every match he is in and still be one of the most over guys in the company. His in ring skills are underrated.

The six man lacked heat which was what made the first Bucks vs Bravados match so fun: the Bravados were playing babyfaces trying to win the crowd but the crowd just didn't accept them as the babyfaces and kept chanting for the Bucks. As the Bravados started winning some of the fans, the others starting chanting louder for the Bucks. I think that Harlem (the bearded one) is way better than Lancelot at this point but they are young and improving. Did you watch their street fight with Dos Ben Dejos in FIP? That was crazy despite being a bit sloppy. I think they will get over as heels.

And they already have the show for VOD! 

Re the EVOLVE iPPV: Watched it as well.  Felt much the same as you guys.  Baretta-Nese was my MOTN, which surprised me because I wasn't expecting much from them.  

Hero-Ricochet had a kind of Malenko-Mysterio at Halloween Havoc feel to me, in the sense that Hero didn't really let Ricochet up to do much flying.  Ricochet did seem very comfortable with mat wrestling, and he did get some flying in, but I wanted something more like Ricochet-Claudio at BOLA from a couple years back, where Ricochet is either flying or being obliterated.

That was my first time seeing Uhaa Nation.  A guy that size doing a standing SSP... damn.

But yeah, it was a very good show, no bad matches.  As I mentioned a couple of days ago, they have two more iPPVs tonight and tomorrow.  For me personally, there's no way I'd pay for more than one show in a weekend, but it's good that we at least have the option to watch them live if we want.

Editing to add:

Man, one of the things that drive me crazy is when DGUSA/Evolve shows have good houses the hard cam is on the packed side, which means that instead of seeing a packed venue you actually look at the side that has the least people.

YES.  That was one of the first things I noticed.  I was feeling bad for them because there were so many empty seats.  Then they go on commentary "We've got a jam-packed crowd here tonight" and it's like "Uh, really?"

YES.  That was one of the first things I noticed.  I was feeling bad for them because there were so many empty seats.  Then they go on commentary "We've got a jam-packed crowd here tonight" and it's like "Uh, really?"

Yeah, that's the weird thing about the Orpheum. It's got the stage, which is were Bands play and it's also the same spot the main camera is looking at. They run all the production stuff from upstairs and that's where the hard cam is. On the right side (looking from hard cam) is about 3 rows or so, right in front of the camera is no seating, then to the left is where the open bar area is where most of the general admission people sit. That's where I always am because i'm probably 5-10 feet further back from the ring. And for this show, they did all the flying highspots towards my spot anyways. It's hard to count the people there because the way the building is, but there was at least 100+

I like the way the Chikara show looked on camera there. Looking forward to re-watching this.

Also, forgot about Uhaa's standing Shooting Star. Holy crap! That dude is huge to be doing that. 

Every time I have seen Uhaa, I have been left wondering why he isn't in Florida already. The dude has off the charts physical charisma and is tremendously athletic. He already has a bunch of spots that are really over and would get over on a bigger stage. 

I saw the Bravado's in that No DQ match (was at that show too). I thought they did a good job there as well.

The Dark match for Evolve 25 had this huge black dude named "Moose" who I haven't seen before. He gave a guy a spear that when he hit it it looked like he did a front roll/flip? Either way, it was awesome.

But yeah, Uhaa is awesome. 

I saw the Bravado's in that No DQ match (was at that show too). I thought they did a good job there as well.

The Dark match for Evolve 25 had this huge black dude named "Moose" who I haven't seen before. He gave a guy a spear that when he hit it it looked like he did a front roll/flip? Either way, it was awesome.

But yeah, Uhaa is awesome. 

I had heard the name before somewhere and finally looked it up.  Moose!

so if we're following the WWE's rules for minority superstars, Uhaa will show up as either Kofi Kingston's cousin, or Kofi Kingston's old enemy from West Africa?

or he'll debut as "Small E Langston"

I would be really in to Uhaa and Big E redoing the Ahmed Johnson/Booker T fighting over the right to use the letter T angle, but with the letter E instead. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's the weird thing about the Orpheum. It's got the stage, which is were Bands play and it's also the same spot the main camera is looking at. They run all the production stuff from upstairs and that's where the hard cam is. On the right side (looking from hard cam) is about 3 rows or so, right in front of the camera is no seating, then to the left is where the open bar area is where most of the general admission people sit. That's where I always am because i'm probably 5-10 feet further back from the ring. And for this show, they did all the flying highspots towards my spot anyways. It's hard to count the people there because the way the building is, but there was at least 100+

I like the way the Chikara show looked on camera there. Looking forward to re-watching this.

For what it's worth, I (kind of) almost attended that Chikara show - I was in Tampa for business last March, but it was the weekend after the show.  Too bad.  I did get to the St. Patrick's day parade downtown though, that was a decent time.

Didn't "Skullkrusher" Rasche Brown do that in ROH?

Batista_tweeter.jpg

Yeah, just ask Booker T what a great shooter he is.

Should probably ask anyone else there about it cause I heard Batista was beating the brakes off Booker until they got seperated.  Then they got into it a second time and Sharmell jumped on Batista's back and tried to scratch his eyes out and then she ended up kicking him in the balls when they were pulling her away.