DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY PRO WRES YAMMERING

I think 22% of the audience is under 18 and 30 % is 50 and over. What the chances of these two groups ordering the network?

As a member of the latter group, I'll be signing up! The benefits of the new network are huge. If I'm at all typical, WWE has made a very smart move. I don't order PPVs as I can usually pick up a DVD within days of the event for $3-$5, so Vince has been getting zero money from me (except for the occasional action figure and they don't get 100% of that revenue by any means). If the twitter audience is a good measuring stick of people that are embracing WWE on relatively new technology, Vince might actually be well on his way to being a billionaire. What's going to be even more interesting is how large is the audience of "silent viewers" like me that haven't been using WWE's app or ordering PPVs that will now show up to get the best of current product and the old stuff? Coming from an NWA city, I really had no exposure to WWF until after the expansion era began, granted, I've bought lots of comps over the years, so  I've seen a good deal of pre-expansion WWE, but there's still a ton of stuff that I've never seen and I'm really looking forward to the idea of a searchable database of matches. Hell, there's a ton of NWA stuff that I haven't seen that's in their library. I pretty much tuned out on wrestling during the 1970s (except for Portland) and could spend hours getting caught up. There's thousands of hours of stuff that I'd like to see once or twice without including the material in my DVD library and this seems like it will be the way to do it.

Hopefully, it won't be any trouble to burn DVDs from the network, I need a "Best of Bill Eadie" set yesterday!

• Like 1

The trick they have to figure out is how to do this while still introducing fans to the product in order get grow it. Raw and Smackdown are now the sole vehicles for that route. In college and those days, we'd have parties where we'd watch the PPVs and kick in some money. There would always be a person or two who wasn't a fan watching. That got their eyeballs on the product. I don't know how popular that is. I have watched the last bunch of PPVs at a bar in Philly (Hey JR!) and it was a social event. I think everyone there was a hardcore fan, though.

But this is really forward thinking. I know so many people who have gotten rid of traditional cable providers. My wife and I had Direct TV until about two years ago when we realized all we use the TV for is background noise and to zone out during a Law and Order Marathon and for sports. We're not alone with that. Every hardcore fan is going to sign up for this. I think the low price point is also going to get people who don't order the PPVs consistently or don't go in deep to watch NXT like we do.

But now the question Vince and Co. have -- how do you get new fans to watch the product and eventually sign up for this? Especially since we do live in an age when television is becoming less and less important? The WWE's programming has been such an awesome television product for years. But if television itself is slowly dwindling in the digital age, then what?

• Like 1

That's just stupid. "We're concerned this might cut into our revenue from said company, so we'll try and make sure that instead of getting less, we'll get none at all."

In fairness, we are talking about a significant amount of cash here. It's not just going to take away a small portion of their revenue from WrestleMania, it's going to take away a ton of it probably. Maybe most of it.

From a purely business standpoint, of course they're pissed off. They're probably just trying to get Vince to back down here. Or send a warning sign out to anyone else (UFC?) who may want to do something similar.

This IS the fallback position for Vince, though, and it's the fault of providers like DirecTV he's had to take it.

PPV costs have gone up to what they are because providers demand such a big chunk of the profits, and Vince wanted to put WWE Network out there as a traditional channel that the providers would carry, but they'd only do so as a for-pay service, rather than getting it in their basic or even sports packages. They want to be like the last-mile telecoms, leeching off the majority of profit for content when all they're providing is one way among many for viewers to obtain it.

That's just stupid. "We're concerned this might cut into our revenue from said company, so we'll try and make sure that instead of getting less, we'll get none at all."

In fairness, we are talking about a significant amount of cash here. It's not just going to take away a small portion of their revenue from WrestleMania, it's going to take away a ton of it probably. Maybe most of it.

From a purely business standpoint, of course they're pissed off. They're probably just trying to get Vince to back down here. Or send a warning sign out to anyone else (UFC?) who may want to do something similar.

This IS the fallback position for Vince, though, and it's the fault of providers like DirecTV he's had to take it.

PPV costs have gone up to what they are because providers demand such a big chunk of the profits, and Vince wanted to put WWE Network out there as a traditional channel that the providers would carry, but they'd only do so as a for-pay service, rather than getting it in their basic or even sports packages. They want to be like the last-mile telecoms, leeching off the majority of profit for content when all they're providing is one way among many for viewers to obtain it.

Plus, PPV is going to die. It'll probably die quicker than traditional network models and rating systems. The online streaming model is revolutionary as hell, and even if they take some revenue hits at first, they're ahead of the game in the long run. Let DirectTV scream and cry with all the rest of the fossils.  

The way Dave was talking the other day, it sounds like there will be a lot less archival stuff on the network than people here would want.

He mentioned "every" raw, SD, and ECW and some World class and AWA.

"If you think you'll be able to dial up a 1978 episode of mid-atlantic, that probably wont be happening."

Heck, it doesnt even sound like we'll get the WCWsaturday night show right away.

I think expecting to have EVERYTHING in the library available at launch is pretty crazy. It's also just as crazy to think that they won't be adding stuff over time. I watched a thing about the WWE video library on the website a few months ago, I don't think they're really even all that close to digitizing their whole library yet.

The more interesting aspect is that I think this is going to give them a whole lot of creative freedom to try new ideas. We're definitely going to see some different types of shows like Tough Enough, Total Divas, Legends House and I would imagine they'll try and do an updated Tuesday Night Titans deal. They are going to be able to throw shit at the wall with very little consequences of failure. That could lead to a lot of good, a lot of bad, or a combination of both.

• Like 1

With all the talk of WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair being a "traitor" to the Carolina Panthers for taking a paid appearance where he gave a motivational speech for The San Francisco 49ers, one of the side stories has been whether Flair would attend this weekend's game between the two teams in Charlotte.

Flair's agent issued a statement yesterday (which you can read by clicking here), claiming there had been "death threats" against Flair issued via social media and that Flair wouldn't be attending the game.

The reality is that Flair can't attend the game without running the risk of being arrested on an outstanding warrant issued in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. The warrant has been the reason Flair has been living for the last six months in Atlanta, GA (where his girlfriend, the former "WCW Fifi the Maid" resides) and Tampa, FL (where Flair had been living with former WCW star Joe Gomez as a way to be near his daughter, current WWE NXT star Charlotte).

The warrant, issued on 7/3 ordered Flair arrested for contempt of court after the former NWA, WCW and WWF World champion failed to adhere to a June judgment against him, requiring the two-time WWE Hall of Famer to pay close to $33,000 in legal fees and support to his most recent ex-wife, Jacqueline.

A similar warrant was issued against Flair several years ago when he failed to pay a settlement he agreed to resolve a civil case brought against him by wrestling merchandise dealer www.highspots.com after they lent him a sum of money and Flair used the original NWA World championship belt as collateral on the loan. Highspots was eventually paid, so the warrant was rescinded. The NWA belt now sits in Triple H's office in Stamford, CT.

While the charge is technically a misdemeanor, the judge's ruling issuing the warrant calls for Flair's immediate arrest with the stipulation that he not be released until the complete amount he owes is paid off.

The warrant was issued just a month before Flair's Summerslam weekend outburst during the WWE 2K14 videogame panel discussion, which left WWE requesting Flair take care of personal issues if he wanted to have a relationship with the company going forward. Flair was not used again until this past Monday's Old School Raw. His 49ers appearance was booked via WWE, according to the Facebook statement issued yesterday.

So, Flair can't attend the game without risking being arrested in a very public forum.

"What can I say? I’ve always been a very good heel!” said Flair in the press release announcing he would not be at the game.

http://pwinsider.com/article/82744/arrest-warrant-issued-for-ric-flair-in-north-carolina.html?p=1

I wonder if Flair thinks he's living with Mongo, and Joe doesn't have the heart to tell him. 

It's probably a smart move to do it that way. There's likely to be three selling points to this, and one (original content) is a bit iffy. The other two are inexpensive PPVs, and the library. If you start off with the WHOLE library, eventually you'll get your fill, and if the original content doesn't take off, now you're just paying for PPVs and access to WWE's version of youtube. If the library keeps adding content month to month, that becomes another thing to look forward to.

I would think it wouldn't be right away, the more successful it is I can see them slowly adding more and more things. Or adding and deleting things as they see fit I guess

Unfortunately that will probably happen also. They used to do it on the 24/7 online thing and it was so frustrating.

You guys act like WWE have nothing to worry about but this is actually a serious issue. I wouldn't be surprise if WWE officials kissing Direct tv ass behind the scene. The WWE network might not be a success, that is a huge possiblity that wrestling insiders/fans is not talking about.  

Do you think staying PG will help or hurt the network?

It's mentioned in the FAQ that content on the WWE Network will range from TVPG to TVMA. There will be parental controls on the app. I doubt it will affect RAW or SD! because of the TV deals and advertising dollars.

They are going to post Attitude Era stuff and none of it is going to be censored. They have been planning that for a while by making the deal with the World Wildlife Fund. Doesn't make sense to pay them all that money and then turn around and censor the content anyway.

The way Dave was talking the other day, it sounds like there will be a lot less archival stuff on the network than people here would want.

"If you think you'll be able to dial up a 1978 episode of mid-atlantic, that probably wont be happening."

Heck, it doesnt even sound like we'll get the WCWsaturday night show right away.

Why would they give you everything right away? It's smart of them to do it slowly..  keep the network fresh..

Plus they know people are going to find a way to rip it and it's going to hit the torrent sites. Putting out everything all at one time would be kind of silly because I think their ability to stop people from ripping stuff will evolve over time.

How deep in Flair's Rolodex did he have to go before he reached Joe Gomez for living arrangements?

I can understand Sting turning him down for residency because of all the times Flair turned on him. But everyone else? "Hey, Dean Malenko? How you doing?" "Magnum!'

• Like 3

Why would they give you everything right away? It's smart of them to do it slowly..  keep the network fresh..

I agree they shouldn't. But people mainly wanting to get the network for a certain thing may not want to get their hopes up about what they want to see

I was just thinking about their website protection to stop people from ripping things, and I actually don't think it will be that hard to make it possible to trace where the rip came from due to the subscription model. They could have software that would create a blip of your subscriber # somewhere in the video that wouldn't be visible to the naked eye, like the way movie studios started putting tracking codes in their movies so they can trace what theater online copies came from to try and crack down on pirates.