DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

Do yourself a favor and skip the first 17 minutes of today's Observer Radio. Doesn't matter who you agree with, they literally just yelled and argued the same point over and over and over again. It was very unbearable.

• Like 2

Amen. I wanted to beat Bryan to death with a hammer during that. 

I don't even know what the argument was. Meltzer just kept saying "it doesn't matter." & Alvarez just kept saying "at least try to make it matter." I don't know what the point is. Does Melzer just want them to abort the story altogether, or what? He never made a point. At least Bryan made a point.

I honestly think there's something wrong with Dave Meltzer. Like, mentally, there's something wrong upstairs. I don't know if it's OCD or what but the dude is not normal. Like, so many things just go flying over his head, he takes everything SO literally, he can never tell when someone is joking, he never picks up on sarcasm, etc. Someone will say something like "about two-thousand people were there" and he'll have to jump in, Rain Man style, to point out "oh, it was actually one-thousand, nine-hundred & fifty-six!" Dude is fucked up.

Amen. I wanted to beat Bryan to death with a hammer during that. 

I honestly think there's something wrong with Dave Meltzer. Like, mentally, there's something wrong upstairs. I don't know if it's OCD or what but the dude is not normal. Like, so many things just go flying over his head, he takes everything SO literally, he can never tell when someone is joking, he never picks up on sarcasm, etc.

I haven't listened to the aforementioned audio, so I can't speak for that, but having read the Observer for almost a decade, Dave has some of the driest wit I've ever seen to the point that sometimes I don't even realize he's making a joke until later.  He's well-aware when someone is making a joke, especially a bad one.  That's his schtick.  When Bryan makes some ridiculous comment and Dave takes it seriously, it makes it all the more humorous.

Dave himself has even pointed out that he does that stuff on purpose and gets frustrated that people think he's really that stupid.

Not on the actual website, but Meltzer was great doing the retrospective for UFC 11 through 20 on Sherdog Radio. If he can get three hours out of the UFC's dark age (granted he actually judged one of the events in that timeframe and knew all the top guys personally), he can probably do at least two of those shows with Sempervive on a particular era of wrestling.

So based on Meltzer's logic about the AJ Styles/TNA angle on Thursday, all companies should create a contract on original angles like the Montreal screw job or the CM Punk angle, or the NWO that expires on a certain period.  Until that period, NOBODY CAN USE THAT ANGLE because it was already done before and chances are it won't be like the original.  

I am really glad that Meltzer didn't have this opinon in 1996 when Bischoff stole the NWO concept from Japan.  The reason that there are wrestling companies and MMA companies other than the WWE and UFC is because people think that can do their shit better.  Well that and money.