DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

Yup. He had a non-tournament match on day 1, and everybody who wasn't in the semis and finals did a battle royal on day 2. In regards to currently, I think his last match was against Lance Storm a couple years ago.

Here's one I don't get.  I've noticed several times lately that they will put a poll up on the site and when reporting the results, they feel the need to mock the readers for their choices.  For example, from today's update...

WHAT WAS THE BIGGEST NEWS STORY OF SEPTEMBER?

Jim Ross fired by WWE 40.8%
Mayweather-Alvarez breaks all-time revenue record for combat sports 27.2%
Wrestling voted back into the Olympics 12.9%
Jones-Gustafsson fight 7.5%
SummerSlam does lowest number since 1997 5.9%
CMLL 80th anniversary show 2.8%
WWE Night of Champions, WWE title held up 1.9%
New Japan Destruction PPV 0.5%
UFC on 9/4 does record low ratings 0.2%
WWC anniversary 0.2%
  I'd be shocked if Jim Ross himself thought his being fired was even in the realm of stories two or three.

What's the point of that?  It's comes across as smug and demeaning to me.  Almost a, "Oh, look at these silly pro wrestling people thinking their news is more important" in this case.  But usually, it's just a snide comment.

Have they always done this and I just never noticed?

One could argue that two and three have nothing/very little to do with pro wrestling, so Ross's firing was in fact the most important pro wrestling story.

But it says "news story," and Dave's world (party time, excellent!) has always been pro wrestling, MMA and to a lesser extent, boxling. And there have been much worse mockings on those polls in the past. 

Today's classic Observer has the Herb Abrhams obituary, with this piece of info I never knew:

Blackjack Brawl, which drew just 228 paid in a 17,000-seat Arena despite Abrams pulling a coup in getting Steve Williams on the Jay Leno show to plug the event

Why do I have no memory of this? Now, off to scour YouTube

Today's classic Observer has the Herb Abrhams obituary, with this piece of info I never knew:

Blackjack Brawl, which drew just 228 paid in a 17,000-seat Arena despite Abrams pulling a coup in getting Steve Williams on the Jay Leno show to plug the event

My guess is that Williams was probably in some sketch where he beat people up as opposed to literally sitting on the couch having an interview.

Loved that Dave spoiled the NJPW PPV result just because some New Japan guy said he didn't "get" wrestling.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Dave has been randomly more critical of little WWE stuff since breaking his foot?

My guess is that Williams was probably in some sketch where he beat people up as opposed to literally sitting on the couch having an interview.

This had to have been on YouTube at some point because I know I've seen it before.  He was a seated guest.  Other than bringing his UWF belt with him I don't recall any specifics about the interview.  Pretty sure it was a short straight forward interview and not played for laughs at all.

I just wish I could Photoshop well enough to crudely put Dave and Bryan's faces on the Wayne's World poster.

I didn't really want to do this but I have Meltzer's head around still from this creepy one

Posted Image

and you said crude so why not

Posted Image

• Like 7

You call that "crude"? That's 1,000 better than my pitiful attempts at Photoshopping (or, more accurately, GIMPing). Bravo, sir!

That's actually pretty good.  You probably could legit get an entry job at an average TV.production market with similar skills. 

Seriously, what is with you guys trashing your work then showing it?  "I wrote a RAW review but it sucks but if you want to read it..."  "Here's some crude PhotoShop"..." Shit, show pride in your work.  It's a message board, we're going to shit on it for whatever reason because most of us are assholes, but deal with it. At least if you're going to post it, be proud of it.

If someone posts a link to something they wrote and then adds "eh, it's not that great, read it or whatever" or some similar bullshit, well, guess what?  I won't.  Because I'll take their word that it sucks.

• Like 4

That's actually pretty good.  You probably could legit get an entry job at an average TV.production market with similar skills. 

Seriously, what is with you guys trashing your work then showing it?  "I wrote a RAW review but it sucks but if you want to read it..."  "Here's some crude PhotoShop"..." Shit, show pride in your work.  It's a message board, we're going to shit on it for whatever reason because most of us are assholes, but deal with it. At least if you're going to post it, be proud of it.

Yeah I can see your point. There are just imperfections noticeable clearly when zoomed that I am both aware of and capable of fixing. So writing that is trying to preemptively address that point if someone makes it. I am comfortable with a lot of the software and sometimes do video editing as well for some musician friends. I really liked the Blind Blake photo I colored and posted in the music picture thread. Even now though if I look at it the first thing I think is the table I rebuilt needs some texture work and a few pixels in the guitars paint needs fixed. I will say that picture came out really solid though. Looks like a painting now due to the low resolution of the original. 

Yeah I can see your point. There are just imperfections noticeable clearly when zoomed that I am both aware of and capable of fixing. So writing that is trying to preemptively address that point if someone makes it. I am comfortable with a lot of the software and sometimes do video editing as well for some musician friends. I really liked the Blind Blake photo I colored and posted in the music picture thread. Even now though if I look at it the first thing I think is the table I rebuilt needs some texture work and a few pixels in the guitars paint needs fixed. I will say that picture came out really solid though. Looks like a painting now due to the low resolution of the original. 

Most people are their own worst critics. Every time I look at video I've edited, I mostly see the flaws or the things I would have done differently. But I wouldn't go out of my way to point those things out to anyone else.

Cena ends government shutdown, we don't need health care

By Jim Valley

STAMFORD - WWE and President Barack Obama are proud to announce the end of  the government shutdown.

"We have found a compromise on the GOP opposition to ObamaCare," said the president. "It turns out we don't need health care any more."

"Instead of mandating the Affordable Care Act," said Speaker of the House John Boehner, "all Americans will now be immunized with the DNA of WWE Superstar John Cena."

Cena, the cornerstone of WWE programming, has uncanny healing powers.  Americans immunized with C-DNA will now be incredibly healthy, driven, and all natural. People can expect to recover from torn muscles in weeks and mangled elbows in days. Everyone will be so healthy we will no longer need insurance coverage.

"With that out of the way, the U.S. government can go back to work," said Boehner.

Part owner of the WWE Stephanie McMahon showed up uninvited and said, "The only thing more powerful than Cena DNA is McMahon DNA, which can cure cancer. But we will not be giving that up to the US government, which persecuted my family in the early 90's worse than The Holocaust, 9/11, and the Battleground PPV combined."

John Cena's power has been tested. His C-DNA has made noted genius Stephen Hawking walk and talk. "I have a new lease on life. Forget black holes. I want to explore other holes. I mean video games. I want to play video games just like the wrestlers...er...WWE Superstars."

There is still no cure for jorts.

Editor's note:  This is a spoof.  So please don't use this as serious news and send to other web sites.

Noted.

Loved that Dave spoiled the NJPW PPV result just because some New Japan guy said he didn't "get" wrestling.

What's the story with this?

Basically, someone at NJPW mocked him for believing Okada could/should win.

Cena ends government shutdown, we don't need health care

By Jim Valley

STAMFORD - WWE and President Barack Obama are proud to announce the end of  the government shutdown.

"We have found a compromise on the GOP opposition to ObamaCare," said the president. "It turns out we don't need health care any more."

"Instead of mandating the Affordable Care Act," said Speaker of the House John Boehner, "all Americans will now be immunized with the DNA of WWE Superstar John Cena."

Cena, the cornerstone of WWE programming, has uncanny healing powers.  Americans immunized with C-DNA will now be incredibly healthy, driven, and all natural. People can expect to recover from torn muscles in weeks and mangled elbows in days. Everyone will be so healthy we will no longer need insurance coverage.

"With that out of the way, the U.S. government can go back to work," said Boehner.

Part owner of the WWE Stephanie McMahon showed up uninvited and said, "The only thing more powerful than Cena DNA is McMahon DNA, which can cure cancer. But we will not be giving that up to the US government, which persecuted my family in the early 90's worse than The Holocaust, 9/11, and the Battleground PPV combined."

John Cena's power has been tested. His C-DNA has made noted genius Stephen Hawking walk and talk. "I have a new lease on life. Forget black holes. I want to explore other holes. I mean video games. I want to play video games just like the wrestlers...er...WWE Superstars."

There is still no cure for jorts.

Editor's note:  This is a spoof.  So please don't use this as serious news and send to other web sites.

Noted.

Now THIS guy should have prefaced his work by saying that it sucked.

• Like 2