DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Observer/Meltzer Ominbus Thread

Lets talk more about musical theatre.

Has any other show aged as badly as Rent has?

It's definitely dated, and just screams early 90's, but I still dig a lot of the songs. (Although for Roger spending the entire year/show trying to write one song, the one he comes up with isn't that great.)  Always the problem with a big "cultural zeitgeist" thing...  When the culture moves on (in this case, mostly from aids being THE disease) the thing gets left behind.

Man, I wish Larson had lived to write a second show.

It was a really common plot device back then, but by "back then" I mean for like 80 years.

According to WIKI-Poo, the group of symptoms commonly called "consumption" back then were identified as "Tuberculosis" around 1840.  Traviata is from 1853, but it's one of hundreds of plays, books, and operas where lead characters have the disease.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis_in_popular_culture

Also according to Wiki-Wiki, around that time, it was responsible for as many as 20-25% of the deaths in Europe.

However, it remained that way for the entire century so it would be hard to argue that it was a unique zeitgeist moment, unless you want to argue that the entire 1800s was a "moment."  Things moved slower then.

But we're a solid 100 years past when the disease was a major part of life, and that opera still kicks ass.

Fair enough.

Rent is actually based (somewhat loosely) on La bohème*.  As long as we are talking operas with TB in them.  But enough opera, more musical theatre, dammit.

*For reasons I am unaware of, the second word is not capitalized.

I saw pictures of Harris' emcee. Fightningly emaciated. That being said, I do love just how unabashedly pervy Joel Grey is in the role. From what I've seen of Stamos and others, they seem to try to ape Cumming's take on it though.I'm guessing that's a directorial decision.