DVDVR Message Board

All things STAR WARS~!

ultimoDANK

I have a friend betting me that Star Wars won't beat Jurassic World's domestic box office.

Bet taken.

Well maybe not by the end of the year. . . but overall? Avatar ought to be taking notice. . .
Overall, domestic only. I think it cruises quickly to beating JW.
LOL. You'll win this bet easily. This will be the highest grossing movie of all-time.

I honestly don't get my buddy's view on this movie. I think he's just way out of touch, but then when I think of it, maybe I'm too much in the bubble. I don't know. I was willing to bet $100, but it's been bumped down to a dinner somewhere. I'm going to enjoy my free dinner.

I just looked at the Tallahassee marathon. $64.51 per ticket. I think I'll pass on that one.

The next closest one is Atlanta, and that looks like it sold out.

I'm fine with seeing it Friday at this point.

I have a friend betting me that Star Wars won't beat Jurassic World's domestic box office.

Bet taken.

So they're expecting SW7 to double JW's opening weekend numbers. If this movie is as good as we all expect, I think it's gonna shatter the domestic box office record

I'm just holding out waiting to see if the new AMC opening closer to me that'll have the recliners is starting to sell tickets soon, rather than going to the other AMC with standard seats.

Bet taken.

So they're expecting SW7 to double JW's opening weekend numbers. If this movie is as good as we all expect, I think it's gonna shatter the domestic box office record

That would be a $400 million opening or more opening weekend.  I don't see that happening.  

Variety is reporting that they've bypassed the most tickets sold on the first day of sale...by eight times.  This is going to be a HUGE movie, the question is going to be how much more profitable is it going to be than #2. 

I'm not sure you can compare early ticket sales because Star Wars has super fans unlike anything else. Word of mouth would probably play a factor with others.

Umm...tickets have been on sale for less than 24 hours, and they've exceeded the previous record by eight times.  I don't think it matters if super fans are buying the tickets or just regular ol' movie fans.  This is going to be the most successful movie of all time.  This movie will have to be Phantom Menace or worse not to be. 

• Like 1

Umm...tickets have been on sale for less than 24 hours, and they've exceeded the previous record by eight times.  I don't think it matters if super fans are buying the tickets or just regular ol' movie fans.  This is going to be the most successful movie of all time.  This movie will have to be Phantom Menace or worse not to be. 

I'm with you I think it's going to be the most successful movie in the U.S. ever also although I am on the fence whether it will outperform Avatar's worldwide take.  If this isn't a lot better than Phantom Menace, god help us..  I don't actually think that's possible. I don't think JJ is capable of making a worse film than PM.

I'm with you I think it's going to be the most successful movie in the U.S. ever also although I am on the fence whether it will outperform Avatar's worldwide take.  If this isn't a lot better than Phantom Menace, god help us..  I don't actually think that's possible. I don't think JJ is capable of making a worse film than PM.

Did you not see Star Trek Into Darkness?

• Like 1

It'll crush JW. I was fascinated by how huge JW was.  I saw it.  I liked it.  We all grew up on Jurassic Park and dinosaurs.  I thought the sequels would sour folks on seeing another. I would have predicted $200M domestic.  Not over $600M. 

Raziel403, on 20 Oct 2015 - 3:56 PM, said:

No, I wanted to see it but I never got around to it.  I heard there were some changes that longtime fans didn't like.

My cracks at JJ aside, this movie is the closest shot at something surpassing Avatar.

Considering reviews and the potential for re-releases even in the Blu-Ray age, this might actually be the one that gives Gone With The Wind a challenge for All Time Adjusted.

Raziel403, on 20 Oct 2015 - 3:56 PM, said:

No, I wanted to see it but I never got around to it.  I heard there were some changes that longtime fans didn't like.
Imagine if someone did a Star Wars remake, and in the role of Darth Vader they have... Jango Fett. I mean, it's clearly NOT Vader; it looks nothing like him, sounds nothing like him, acts nothing like him. But the filmmaker justifies it all by saying "Look, they're both villains in hi-tech costumes with cool masks and electronic-sounding voices. Close enough, right? Geez, you hardcore fanboys are unpleasable!"

And then Leia falls in love with Chewbacca. And Han screams a big ol' "NOOOOOOO!" while watching Luke get frozen in carbonite.

That's basically what Star Trek Into Darkness was like for a Trekkie.

• Like 1