DVDVR Message Board

Teach me about: Davey Richards

Why doesn't Eddie Edwards catch as much flack as Davey. He is in most of those matches and spots.

Is Kyle O'Reily the next Davey Richards?

I think Richards brings out the worst in Edwards. Without him, I think Eddie's a pretty solid wrestler, a little bland, but less prone to the ridiculous excesses of Davey, and far more likeable outside the ring as well.

• Like 1

Well, his opponent was 16, so...

http://youtu.be/JPMp86PRrzU

I see. In what State can a sixteen year-old get a wrestling license? Kozina's even more of a jerk than I had previously thought, and that was based on meeting him a few times. I'd like to see him try that crap with someone that knew how to fight back. It would be dwarf-tossing 101.

I see. In what State can a sixteen year-old get a wrestling license? Kozina's even more of a jerk than I had previously thought, and that was based on meeting him a few times. I'd like to see him try that crap with someone that knew how to fight back. It would be dwarf-tossing 101.

What's the story here?

My first exposure to Davey was him having a terrible match with AJ Styles in 05 RoH.  That says a lot about Richards. 

He can be good, when someone's keeping him reeled in.  He might get that in NXT.

I think everything that has been said here has been spot on. He's a Nuke LaLoosh... Million dollar talent and a 5 cent head. When someone is in his ear telling him to chill and structuring matches for him, he's very good. Leave himself to his own devices... he's abysmal. 

• Like 2

What's the story here?

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/8/3/3216134/the-indie-corner-this-is-staged-right

Low-Ki made it to television. I don't anticipate Davey doing that.

I fear that Davey will suffer the same fate in NXT as Chris Hero.  He will find some way to fuck things up.

I have no problems with Davey as a worker.  My first exposure to him was during my tape trading days when I scored on some German pro wrestling and watched him work with Murat Bosporous.  Davey was smart enough to let Murat carry the match, bump huge, hit his spots, transition back to Murat, and stick to the script.

I agree with the guy that said that Davey's NXT matches will be okay if someone reels him in.  Davey hasn't learned on his own that you don't have to work every spot you know into a single match.  If Davey makes the roster, he'll benefit best from a manager that does his talking for him.

Davey's attitude isn't nearly as bad as Teddy Hart's is.  Hart is fucking delusional.

0ds9Y.gif

Is this properly executed double stomp supposed to be bad or something?

I think everything that has been said here has been spot on. He's a Nuke LaLoosh... Million dollar talent and a 5 cent head. When someone is in his ear telling him to chill and structuring matches for him, he's very good. Leave himself to his own devices... he's abysmal. 

This is likely the real truth about Davey Richards.

That double stomp is just a perfect example of dangerous, reckless, middle of the match spot for no reason except MOVEZ BRO. There 's no way to hit it and land well himself (as evidenced by his double flop to the floor), and he's doing the move at a weird angle while heading toward his opponent lengthwise, which means if he's off at all, he spikes Elgin's head or throat. And it's not even a near-fall. It looks good enough, but what's the point of doing something that runs a much-higher-than-normal risk of hurting you or your opponent when you're going to do twenty other equally stupid/hurty things before you get to the finish anyway? Davey in a nutshell, to me.

• Like 3

Why doesn't Eddie Edwards catch as much flack as Davey. He is in most of those matches and spots.

Is Kyle O'Reily the next Davey Richards?

I think Kyle is worse than Davey. It's like a copy of a copy.

I was at Davey/Shingo from a few years back and I fucking loved it. I haven't watched it since to see if it held up, but I was flipping out. Then I watched Davey wrestled Mochizuki, and he tried to do the EXACT same match with a guy who was completely different, and it felt like bullshit. Then I watched a little more and it felt like no matter who he was wrestling he'd try to shoehorn him into the same style of match. The Davey Mystique disappeared for me really quickly. The next good match I watched him in was against Colt Cabana. It was really toned down, no overkill and sold a flash KO quite brilliantly. So I truly think that if he's with somebody to tone him down he can be...adequate, I guess. I don't see him elevating to a Punk/Bryan position or even a Cesaro spot, but that's probably more because of his personality. 

I like matches where everything matters, and for me a lot of Davey's work is a pretty simplistic story of two supermen going until they die, just bombing each other with crazy stunts and combos. Sometimes I like that, when done right, but more often than not I feel like the match isn't for me. Like they won't leave me alone until they run through all their shit. DON'T WALK AWAY IT'S TIME FOR THE FALCON ARROW NEAR FALL! JAE WE JUST STARTED. C'MON WE GOT 30 MORE MINUTES OF THESE PLANNED. FINE WE'RE GONNA JUST KEEP GOING. SOMEONE SAY THIS IS AWESOME SO JAE FEELS LEFT OUT.

• Like 7

I don't like Richards or Eddie Edwards at all in terms of their wrestling matches, but I guess those convoluted spots are what the ROH fans enjoy, right? It's not for me, but maybe those spots make sense in terms of popping the crowds they were working in front of. Of course a fan of JCP, WCW, or AWA in the foremost won't like them, but current ROH fans probably loved that stuff.