DVDVR Message Board

Teach me about: Davey Richards

I acknowledge your response, only to also rebut that I think your point about El Generico only has merit if someone (probably Davey Richards) were to call him a "stinkin' wetback."  THEN we have parity.  As it is, though, I refuse to get into a debate on my issues over this with you. 

If you don't see the obvious offensiveness of a white Canadian man playing a goofy Mexican character who 90% of the time communicates using the word "Ole", then I can't help you.

Yet, somehow, I think I'll get by okay in life without your help. But I do appreciate the offer.

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll do fine making people aware of the prejudice against the early 00's white urban hip-hop culture by yourself.

That's not anywhere close to the point I was originally making, but if it were, I would more strongly consider any arguments you would have against the folly of such a task.

Wigger stands for "white nigger," so yeah.

I've never heard or seen anyone that was offended at the word "wigger". Like, ever. And I live in the South, so there's plenty of 'em. But, hey, just because I don't get upset about it doesn't mean there aren't people out there that do get offended.

I'm sure you'll do fine making people aware of the prejudice against the early 00's white urban hip-hop culture by yourself.

That's not anywhere close to the point I was originally making...

So wait, you're telling me that what ended up making you dislike Davey wasn't his derogatory comment made to a early 00's white urban hip-hop culture character? Because that's what you wrote...

One thing I have a hard time forgiving him for ... and I'm pretty forgiving of a lot, personally ... is a match he had teaming with Super Dragon, and I don't remember who Jack Evans was teaming with against them, but Davey has the upper hand on Evans, then just blurts out, mid-offense, "STUPID WHIGGER!" and proceeds to further stiff Evans. 

That's not anywhere close to the point I was originally making...

So wait, you're telling me that what ended up making you dislike Davey wasn't his derogatory comment made to a early 00's white urban hip-hop culture character? Because that's what you wrote...

One thing I have a hard time forgiving him for ... and I'm pretty forgiving of a lot, personally ... is a match he had teaming with Super Dragon, and I don't remember who Jack Evans was teaming with against them, but Davey has the upper hand on Evans, then just blurts out, mid-offense, "STUPID WHIGGER!" and proceeds to further stiff Evans.

Okay, okay, I'll admit it; I feel like I'm missing somthing. Are you:

1. ... trying to get me to *appreciate* Davey Richards, even though he uses a derogatory term that I happen to find offensive, in the middle of a match, where said term has no bearing, stake or context;

2. ... get me to *dislike* El Generico, based on diametrically opposed principles, i.e. because Davey calls Jack a "whigger" and I didn't appreciate it, I'm supposed to dislike a Canadian who plays a goofy luchadore gimmick; or,

3. ... trying to say I'm an idiot for having any opinion on the matter, an opinion that appears to be somewhat obtuse for you?

Please, if you'll help me figure this out, I promise I'll respond accordingly.

I'm just saying... How can that offend you, and sour someone for you for the rest of your life, when you're still a fan of Sami Zayn(A white wrestler who portrayed a goofy racist Mexican stereotype for years before joining the WWE)?

Edit: BTW, you're full of it anytime you call the El Generico character "a goofy luchador" so you can sound like you're are not defending a racial stereotype.

I'm actually curious about this matter, myself.

So, all this time, I've been assuming that El Generico The Character was obviously supposed to be a Canadian (read: white) guy who happened to get wrestling training in Mexico, and so enmeshed himself in the culture that he adopted behaviorisms indicative of the indigenous people of Latin and Central America.

Instead, I have been understanding that character all wrong. He's aping the worst behaviors of standard Mexican and Latino stereotypes, not as parody or lampoon, but as a crass, demeaning commentary *against* Mexicans. So, El Generico is like, say, Daniel Tosh, in that being racist in an ironic fashion could be just be justifying in a backhanded way one's own permissibility to be a racist.

Wow. Mind ... blown. I defer to your wisdom; you do not get nearly enough credit on this forum, smart mother fucker you are, man,

Oh my God Nate, you are on the pulse with your accurate description of the El Generico character. Are you in charge of the characters Wiki?

How about Roddy Piper going half black face Vs. Bad News Brown? Could you also come up with an excuse... I'm sorry an "Explanation" for that wacky storyline as well?

I just don't understand.

I state a reasonable opinion of dislike for something that David Richards did in a match, an act that I found offensive. You called me a hypocrite and "full of shit" (before the edit) and tell me that I should dislike El Generico because, in your reasoning, he's just as offensive - yet in a far more longitudinal manner - as Davey's one-off behavior.

I agree with you, in the spirit of what you're saying, and yet now you take a mocking tone with me. I don't believe I wish to engage you in discourse on this matter anymore, as this exchange has become most dissatisfying. My life was much more enriched before you came along this day.