DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 4/24 - 4/30/2024 - Who's House? Gunn's House!

40 minutes ago, Casey said:

. We aren’t going to get TV vignettes of him building a team or something.

Holy shit. You accidentally found the greatest outcome of this or any booking I’ve ever heard. Tony Khan as Nick Furry. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I'm convinced some people are going to just always have something negative to say about AEW.

pre-Bucks heel turn this was literally you, every show thread, bitching about how Adam Cole or the Bucks or whoever and what they’re involved in. Now you’re in the position we were in, and you’re seeing people being negative and don’t like it because you’re enjoying it.

God forbid some of us who have been super positive, to the point that other people here mock it, about AEW for five years now are starting to see some flaws.

Swerve will be fine, yeah, but this is the equivalent of Cody winning the title at WrestleMania and then the next night he wrestles a 20 minute match and a segment for his next challenger is announced for next week. And then in the main event segment, the Bloodline beat up Adam Pearce or something. WWE fans would rage that the focus isn’t on your new World champion who just spent a year (two actually) chasing that title.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

pre-Bucks heel turn this was literally you, every show thread, bitching about how Adam Cole or the Bucks or whoever and what they’re involved in. Now you’re in the position we were in, and you’re seeing people being negative and don’t like it because you’re enjoying it.

God forbid some of us who have been super positive, to the point that other people here mock it, about AEW for five years now are starting to see some flaws.

Swerve will be fine, yeah, but this is the equivalent of Cody winning the title at WrestleMania and then the next night he wrestles a 20 minute match and a segment for his next challenger is announced for next week. And then in the main event segment, the Bloodline beat up Adam Pearce or something. WWE fans would rage that the focus isn’t on your new World champion who just spent a year (two actually) chasing that title.

I mean, that’s probably fair. I tried to talk about stuff I liked, too. Also, the stuff I hate actually sucks, whereas everyone else is wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

My thing though, is that I don’t want to see Tony Khan walking tall like Bill Watts. Actually I don’t think anyone wants to see that. 

I would enjoy the ridiculousness of a "Fonzie vs Todd Gordon" type of angle.

Tony's involvement or increased involvement in this is going to be based on the ratings.    If they can get momentum in terms of ratings and fan interest without Tony they will probably not use them.  But if this starts to die I have to think they will go back to the tired old wrestling well and use more Tony.  Or even worse a worse "authority figure"   While I am sure people will say that showing the Punk All In Footage was only used to build the match against FTR, it was obviously done as a rating ploy and a look at me Louie moment.   There is a reason it was announced within an hour of the Night 1 WM main event. It worked once.   Hell maybe it will work again.  

Again my biggest issues is that it is another company who thinks they can do the authority figure angle better than the WWE and almost always does the same shit.   And the reality is that except for Austin the authority figure angle in WWE sucked.   To the people who say "people are just being negative because it is AEW",  I don't have any issue with the show before it.  Thought the show before was really good.   

• Like 1

That's fair. I think I was just kinda shocked because of how well received the angle was pretty much everywhere else online. 

9 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

That's fair. I think I was just kinda shocked because of how well received the angle was pretty much everywhere else online. 

...and this is what we mean by "being in a bubble." 

Anywho...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

I’m scared. I’ll admit it. People I stumble across on TikTok that are much more WWE-centric content creators and were more critical of AEW’s storytelling really seemed to enjoy this. They’re maybe going after a different potential fan base then me. That’s fair, I’m a minority opinion and catering to me is likely bad business. I’m just afraid they’ll change the recipe of my favorite chicken tenders. And I’ll sit alone during lunch, eating subpar chicken tenders while everyone else is having a great time. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

...and this is what we mean by "being in a bubble." 

Anywho...

Instead of the Cowboy hat it’s his silly press conference hat.

Just now, Octopus said:

I’m scared. I’ll admit it. People I stumble across on TikTok that are much more WWE-centric content creators and were more critical of AEW’s storytelling really seemed to enjoy this. They’re maybe going after a different potential fan base then me. That’s fair, I’m a minority opinion and catering to me is likely bad business. I’m just afraid they’ll change the recipe of my favorite chicken tenders. And I’ll sit alone during lunch, eating subpar chicken tenders while everyone else is having a great time. 

That's a really great way of saying that. I thought last night was a really great ratio of stellar in-ring action to story. If they stick with that mix, I think they'll be okay. Fwiw, TK is getting his money's worth on that Ospreay deal. That dude has risen to the occasion. 

I like AEW because I see cool shit that I don't see anywhere else. I've gone on youtube deep dives looking at Bandido, RUSH, Mina Shirakawa, Thunder Rosa, and others because they appeared on AEW TV. I don't think TK is gonna suddenly stop having great wrestling matches on his wrestling show because he shot an angle with the top heel act in his company. It probably also helps that the workhorse of that heel act is Kazuchika Okada, who's one of the best in ring performers in the world. I totally understand what you're saying, though.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I think it’s sort of all true

The babyface owner/matchmaker getting beat up by heels is a trope as old as pro wrestling itself: Watts did it, Jarrett did it, Von Erich did it, Vince did it…

Said babyface then gathers all the top good guys and walks tall over the heels in the big blowoff.

So in that sense this doesn’t make TK Jacksonville Dixie or whatever. This is the usual TK deal of revisiting classic territory angles. That’s generally perfectly ok.

My thing though, is that I don’t want to see Tony Khan walking tall like Bill Watts. Actually I don’t think anyone wants to see that. 

Tony Khan would need a couple of milk cartons and to get on the juice to be able to walk tall like Watts.

I noticed something during the segment - Tony Khan and Jack Perry are about the same height.

I thought it was a good angle. The fact that it got an unexpectedly large amount of positive mainstream press suggests it was a good idea to run with it. I don’t think there’s much you can read into the future based on it, though. Some of these angles have been harbingers of doom for certain companies, but others have kickstarted a period of big business. It’s all about the follow-up.

To that end, if Kayfabe TK really is a benevolent and beloved owner, then I better see EVERY babyface in the company standing up for him and trying to get a piece of the Elite next week in Winnipeg. In fact, I better even see a few heels coming out against the Elite. It can’t just be business as usual for most of the roster.

• Like 8

look I just hate the angle because main event Jack Perry is an unearned huge glowup, and is only near as over as he is, and in this spot, because Punk did a little light choking in England. For all the talk of fragile egos for one person, it’s funny that All Out or All In was never brought up for storyline purposes while Punk was still there, but the minute he’s gone they’re off to the races to try and cash in on it.

I’m fine with the Bucks being shitbag heels abusing their EVP status, but the minute you bring real life drama into all of this when the real pay off is now unobtainable when it previously wasn’t, I’m going to get annoyed.

Whatever, at least Swerve is champion even if he’s going to take a backseat to more Elite bullshit. Ospreay is going to keep being awesome, even if the International title isn’t what he should be chasing (unless the plan is to unify it with the World title and keep the Continental and TNT titles). Mina/Mariah/Toni continues to be good, and Deeb/Toni will rule obviously. I really want Megan Bayne to Mone’s heater, and for the Statlander turn to be a red herring when it’s actually Stokely turning on them both to introduce Bayne and join up with Mone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Just Dave said:

That main event segment was awesome and everything pro wrestling should be. I'm convinced some people are going to just always have something negative to say about AEW. This door was opened when TK played the All In footage, which he was right to do, and making this issue part of the show is no different than a million other times backstage issues have been made into wrestling angles. I despise the Young Bucks, but they're knocking this role out of the park. Okada fucking rules. He looks like he's having the best time. 

I'm surprised you liked this knowing you hate the Young Bucks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'm surprised you liked this knowing you hate the Young Bucks.

This angle makes it ok to talk about how much I hate them. And I do fucking hate them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Willo is such a good promo, I love Mercedes but se has to get rid of that WWE style promo Cadence. Especially since she probably won't be wrestling frequently on this current run she's got to get better with the promos. Willo could be a made woman if this comes off well.

Also needs to drop that affect-UH that you hear a lot-UH nowadays where any word that ends in s hard-UH consonant-UH has a UH at the end-UH.

Anyway, I think TK has the self awareness to know he can’t act and is an awkward guy in general and can’t be a regular character on screen.  I mean there’s a reason he had no lines last night.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Also needs to drop that affect-UH that you heat a lot-UH nowadays where any word that ends in s hard-UH consonant-UH has a UH at the end-UH.

Triple H syndrome.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Also needs to drop that affect-UH that you hear a lot-UH nowadays where any word that ends in s hard-UH consonant-UH has a UH at the end-UH.

Dude, THANK YOU. I thought I was being overly critical (man). I love Mercedes, not a hater whatsoever, but it's nails on a chalkboard - It was like a 1999 HHH "I am the Game-uh" promo fed through an AI taught to use her voice by listening to a supercut of only her most awkward cutscenes from the 2K games.

Edit: Ha @The Naturalyou caught me typing - great minds and all that

I liked this show a whole bunch, and honestly, I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said by @Octopus- he's 100% right here; the only reason I had any apprehension about how this show closed was because of things done by completely different people, in completely different promotions, in completely different landscapes.

I looked at it again without the WWE PTSDemon on my shoulder, and honestly? It was everything I've been calling for in these threads lately. Big, chaotic, cliffhanger ending, announcers dropping the mics and letting the ambience be, locker room emptying out, Papa Shad selling that shit as only he can. It was probably the best non-match Dynamite ending since the Daily's residency earlier in the pandemic IMO.

Also:

SERENA FUCKIN' DEEB. That's it, that's the paragraph.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1