DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

9 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Too esoteric. Just stick to cool robots and you'll cast a wider net.

Hmm. Maybe.

Or maybe I just need to tune it for the audience more. Are there any indie wrestlers out there whose gimmick is they're a robot god?

19 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Hmm. Maybe.

Or maybe I just need to tune it for the audience more. Are there any indie wrestlers out there whose gimmick is they're a robot god?

I wonder if Shockwave the Robot is 1) still wrestling and 2) ever proclaimed themselves to be a god.

7 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I wonder if Shockwave the Robot is 1) still wrestling and 2) ever proclaimed themselves to be a god.

Shockwave had a match September of last year. I’m sure they’re available for bookings to proclaim they are the almighty. 

• Haha 1

FTR is made for life, winning or losing a feud to BCC makes no difference to their status. They could win the tag titles at any time and be credible doing it, nothing wrong with gate-keeping for a bit. If anything, out of the 4, Claudio needed the win the most.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

FTR is made for life, winning or losing a feud to BCC makes no difference to their status. They could win the tag titles at any time and be credible doing it, nothing wrong with gate-keeping for a bit. If anything, out of the 4, Claudio needed the win the most.

I probably shouldn't speak for everybody, but I doubt many people are complaining that FTR were ruined by the loss or anything. The complaint I've seen is that it just doesn't make sense for FTR to get a first-round match in the title tournament while the team that just beat them doesn't even get a "wild card" match. It's a reasonable complaint, in my opinion.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I'm only offended that I can't seem to segue this thread into a discussion of robot gods in pop culture.

To me, Primus is a winter weizenbock from Live Oak brewing in Austin that was one of my wife’s and my favorite seasonal beers. It definitely doesn’t suck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I probably shouldn't speak for everybody, but I doubt many people are complaining that FTR were ruined by the loss or anything. The complaint I've seen is that it just doesn't make sense for FTR to get a first-round match in the title tournament while the team that just beat them doesn't even get a "wild card" match. It's a reasonable complaint, in my opinion.

I guess we could argue about whether this should've been addressed on TV or not, but I feel like this is answered well enough with Mox and Claudio declining the invite for health/family reasons. A quick pre-tape from BCC or even Danielson off-handedly mentioning it during his screen time would make for optimal continuity, I'll agree with that. Just seems like such a small thing to worry about because only people who watch every second of AEW TV would catch it anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I guess we could argue about whether this should've been addressed on TV or not, but I feel like this is answered well enough with Mox and Claudio declining the invite for health/family reasons. A quick pre-tape from BCC or even Danielson off-handedly mentioning it during his screen time would make for optimal continuity, I'll agree with that. Just seems like such a small thing to worry about because only people who watch every second of AEW TV would catch it anyway.

Well, I'm putting myself in danger of getting yelled at for repeating old issues here. But I'd say it would be a small thing if it were a one-off occurrence. It's not; AEW has wrestlers go off TV with no stated explanation all the time. And no other well-written serial fiction that I know of has characters randomly disappear from the narrative when the performers aren't available and just pop back up later still with no explanation for their absence. Pro wrestling shouldn't do it either, in my opinion.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

Methinks we should refer to this being as "it" instead of "they".

Maybe. Either way the pronoun should be capitalized, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tbarrie said:

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Yeah, this is the thing.  There needed to be an explanation of why BCC wasn’t in the tournament after beating FTR and apparently becoming the top team in AEW on the last PPV.  Because sure, FTR wins the tournament, but then BCC shows up like, “well you never beat us, though, and we’re the best!”  but then there’s the gaping logic hole of, “well why weren’t you in the tournament then?”

It’s like Hogan and Andre being inexplicably left out of the Mania 4 tournament and then showing up on Superstars the next week to challenge Savage.

Edited by Technico Support

If Tony Khan blames Jack Perry for costing him CM Punk, then just fire him. Jack Perry isn't a draw, and he's not important to AEW's bottom line. If he was, we'd have seen him on TV in the last six months. 

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

If Tony Khan blames Jack Perry for costing him CM Punk, then just fire him. Jack Perry isn't a draw, and he's not important to AEW's bottom line. If he was, we'd have seen him on TV in the last six months. 

Or Tony could look in the mirror and realize his refusal to do something when the issues with Punk and The Elite started and deciding to ignore it and hope it went away is what led to everything going to shit. Punk doing what he did wasn't a matter of "If" but "When", if it wasn't Perry who set him off it would've been something else.

• Like 9

On 3/22/2024 at 11:49 AM, Technico Support said:

This reminds me of that series of Achewood strips where Ray is prank calling various other comic strip characters and Beef is cheering him on.  Someone's going to be laughing in my ear and asking me to do Mike Bailey next.

"HEY GARFIELD!  Up yours Garfield"

I've been using variations of that for the last 20 years

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Or Tony could look in the mirror and realize his refusal to do something when the issues with Punk and The Elite started and deciding to ignore it and hope it went away is what led to everything going to shit. Punk doing what he did wasn't a matter of "If" but "When", if it wasn't Perry who set him off it would've been something else.

It's like blaming the match for setting the fire and not the gas-soaked pile of kindling that's been there for a year or so and you never got around to cleaning up.

• Like 4

It seems like such a trivial and frankly patriarchal/hierarchical gripe. "Young boy disrespects me, I have to beat him". It's like something he would probably get away with backstage at a New Japan show. Begs the question of what other petty crap might've set him off. Sammy Guevara makes fun of his comic writing? No muffins at craft service? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

It's like blaming the match for setting the fire and not the gas-soaked pile of kindling that's been there for a year or so and you never got around to cleaning up.

When Tony signed him, he knew This Fire Burns. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

It seems like such a trivial and frankly patriarchal/hierarchical gripe. "Young boy disrespects me, I have to beat him". It's like something he would probably get away with backstage at a New Japan show. Begs the question of what other petty crap might've set him off. Sammy Guevara makes fun of his comic writing? No muffins at craft service? 

Way after the fact I learned that was the story of Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher. In (I believe) on of the CHIKARA Tag Prix Necro Butcher beat the F out of a team of ROH students. So Samoa Joe came to IWA-MS to beat the F out of Necro But her.

Fun stuff. One of my favorites.

OCTOTHOUGHTS ON JUNGLE JACK AND THE PUNK-ELITE SITUATION AND SAMMY G:

There has been enough recent inaccurate reporting that idk what to believe. The well has been poisoned.

assume Jungle Teen is on excursion and using real or alleged drama for his character. I blame Jack for everything that has ever happened in AEW (he was a real prick to Big Swole) but leaning in on the slimy miserable piece of shit that is the sole reason for high taxes and the Ukrainian-Russian conflict is a good idea. Quit pretending to be innocent, you trying to switch Cookie Monster to Salad Creature fuck-face.

CM Punk was never going to work out in AEW. His fault or not his fault, it sadly appears to be too many personality differences to make it work. Allegedly being hands off in confronting talent relation issues didn’t work that lead to and created issues from talent (both Punk and others) going into business for themselves. Hangman, Punk, and Jack Perry is what I’m referring to. ALSO, being more hand on didn’t work that lead to Jimmy Butler style putting out business conflicts to the public . The Rocky jokes by CM Punk about Mox and Jack’s “real glass line”. Even separating the talent into different brands didn’t work. In good faith, I cannot blame AEW, Tony Khan, CM Punk, or even The Elite for the mess. I don’t believe there was a scenario where things work out. Saying that, it was all Jungle Boy’s fault.

I do find it annoying everything keeps coming out and we pinpoint where everything went wrong or who is to blame unilaterally (because we know it’s Jack Perry). BUT I understand why. It was the Era defining moment(s) that arguably changed the entire wrestling scene. Killed AEW’s momentum (along with injuries), lead to questionable booking and a necessity to regularly change bookings, TNA got Bobby Fish for a few days I think, CM Punk returns to WWE before another injury that changes their booking plans. It’s going to be regularly talked about.

Sammy G. If he’s hurting people and going against what he’s asked to do in those moments in the ring, then get rid of him. If he’s hurting people and has bad judgement on what to do in those situations, then don’t put him in those situations on TV until he is trained better. I’m still irritated he went to the press to shittalk Eddie during their backstage shenanigans. So fuck him?  AND/OR Is Mercedes cool with him after he made SA jokes about her? Colt Cabana him and send him to Siberia/ ROH to get points from your newly signed WWE talent. 

Do I know what I’m talking about? Likely not. But I would if it wasn’t for that human dumpster fire Jack Perry.

• Like 1