DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2024 Wrestling Talk

I’m not sure any SCSA list would have a WCW match on it except for Wargames 92. I actually haven’t seen that but I’ve read he bled the most or something which was a big deal back then, and is still a big deal today when done right. Vs Dustin just wasn’t quite up there. I love Dustin as much as everybody else but that match just isn’t up there. Neither is vs Steamboat. Him trying to mat wrestle in WCW just wasn’t even in the same universe as him merely talking in the WWF, let alone brawling and going crazy.

I haven’t watched vs HBK since but I can’t believe that didn’t make the list even if it wasn’t a clinic. That was 90s Hogan vs Andre. They didn’t have to have a good match. They only had to do 1 thing and they did, even though somebody did try not to.

Meanwhile in WCW 🙄🙄🙄

I don’t doubt the Eric or Kevin would drum something up to answer that question but the truth is there was no plan after Starrcade once its original plan didn’t happen. They did have plans for Starrcade had it went as planned which we have discussed but of course it didn’t go that. We’d learn that Eric’s plan was just keeping Hogan happy. Whenever Eric’s head had room  for 1 more thought besides that, that thought was keeping Nash happy. If Sting or Flair no showed in the meantime or if Raven just quit that was no big deal. Then they just made the shows up on the fly every week, even the ppvs in some cases. And that was mostly done by Kevin and Dusty besides the main events, that of course revolved around keeping Eric’s fantasy big brothers happy.

Just now, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've never really watched SMW but just started the TV from 1992 and I have nothing but love for Tim Horner coming out to "The Thunder Rolls."

SMW TV is possibly the funnest TV to go back and watch. It was week to week, like what people called that male soap opera that was the same way years later. SMW holds up a little better because while it obviously never had the peak that the WWF did, it also didn’t have the things that came with success that make WWF TV not hold up. 

On 3/15/2024 at 9:18 AM, twiztor said:

i just want to pop in here and point out that the 80s Transformers and GI Joe cartoons are legitimately good. they're not the fucking Sopranos, or Game of Thrones, or what have you, but for 80s kids TV, animated or not, they are pillars of quality. Their contemporaries: He-Man, Thundercats, MASK, GoBots, et. all., are all objectively of lower quality, but Transformers and GI Joe i found hold up reasonably well for what they are. 

source: i love cartoons (you may remember my 'Help me find all the cartoons' thread from a few years ago) and finished rewatching those two series a year or two back.

The first ever episode of Silverhawks has an extended intro that’s better than Gone With the Wind.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve sold a tape or 2, but only ones that weren’t worth anything or worth ever watching again. And I bought them of course.

I have more…how do I say it without being vain…valuable crap than many people lol! I won’t sell it either. It wasn’t all mine. My folks and gradfolks were the owners of some of it and they never sold it. 

16 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've never really watched SMW but just started the TV from 1992 and I have nothing but love for Tim Horner coming out to "The Thunder Rolls."

I like how it implied that Horner's opponent was always his husband and he was gonna murder him on account of all the cheatin'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Speaking of SMW, my 1995 continued on as I watched the 3/18/1995 episode for SMW. It may be the most random and also unintentionally entertaining hour of wrestling. First off, Bullet is strangely missing from the show. I am guessing that's going to be explained next week or he just failed to make it in. Either way, I think it was a SMW requirement to have Bullet Bob all over the goddamn show. Second, this is the beginning of the Undertaker vs. Gangstas stuff and New Jack once again proves he is the promotional MVP by his amazing sell of this announcement of the Undertaker coming in. The return and inclusion of Killer Kyle in the Gangstas is weird, but whatever. I want ALL OF THIS. Ok, now that said, it does feel like the promotion is not on a death march as it is they are stuck in a serious rut. God bless the dead, but Buddy Landell is trying several different acts and none of it is working. Ole's kid disappeared after getting a push. Al Snow and Unabom are basically doing what Candido and Brian Lee did the previous year right down to Snow doing commentary while Unabom is wrestling 2-on-1. DWB is stuck in the Landell Vortex of Mediocrity™. RnR Express are somehow feuding with Al Snow and Unabom but also feuding with the Gangstas. However, since Undertaker is a "real" star, a WWF guy is basically taking their place along with Smothers against the latter. Bobby Blaze is SMW champ just so they could get the title off Lawler and also get a hometown pop beating both Lawler and Landell the same night. Except now it's weird to have an enhancement talent being your main champ unless you've already done the pre conditioning ECW did with Whipwreck where his gimmick is he takes ass whippings and backdoors into a win.

And oh yeah, I am going to need someone to explain Bad Boy Billy Black showing up in SMW, getting a big push for 3-4 weeks, winning the Beat the Champ TV title over Boo Bradley, and then apparently walking out of the promotion. Has Cornette ever explained what happened? I saw that he was one of those guys who worked from time to time in Japan, but he doesn't have another match again until early 1996. Was he hurt?* Did Cornette not have enough money to afford the services of one Bad Boy Billy Black? Here, Killer Kyle replaces him on the show against Boo Bradley and apparently that's the last of Billy Black. WHY DIDN'T HE FINISH THE STORY?! Now I don't even get a payoff for this one guy carrying a bag around with this mysterious creature for weeks like a Dollar Store Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

*Prior to Boo Bradley vs. Killer Kyle, New Jack exclaims the reason for the substitution is that Bad Boy Billy Black "was taking a shower, slipped, and fell in his own tobacco spit". I am guessing that's just going to have to suffice as my answer for right now.

• Like 2

I want to throw a random of my own out here. I’ve been watching The X-Files almost every Saturday and Sunday night. It comes on local TV here in blocks. I’d never seen it much because wrestling or football was always on but it’s great like I’ve always heard.

I’m tell you what though, a YouTube video of every time somebody said “I don’t know” would last longer than a video of Jim Mora saying “you don’t know”, Mike Graham saying “didn’t draw a dime”, Ric Flair saying “Whooooo” and The Rock saying “The Rock” added together Xs 1000. 

• Haha 1

Just to drop in on the cartoon talk a bit, I had a flashback to the Inhumanoids and looked up that toy/cartoon series, and found out it is a crazy in-depth Japanese production mixing ecological concern with dark sci-fi and elemental-spirit concepts. They showed scary stuff like people melting and transforming into monsters in a very grade school level cartoon series and it's wild; the whole thing's on Youtube. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think Billy Black didn’t like the travel/weather IIRC. I’ve heard it discussed on a pod, whether it was BTS or on JC’s show. 

I guess that certainly makes sense if he was legit from south Georgia or living in like north Florida where what he was getting paid (which likely wasn't much) didn't give him enough motivation to come back. Again though, it's still strange for him to bolt like that after being booked strongly for an entire month. At least lose the Beat the Champ status on TV. Damn, I guess Bad Boy Billy Black don't do no jobs. 

I am noticing a trend here in 1995 where people work 1 or 2 SMW tapings then quit. First Eddie Gilbert a few weeks before his passing and then Billy Black. When it rains, it pours....

18 hours ago, zendragon said:

May be an image of 1 person

Backlund after demanding Masakatsu Funaki do the Harvard step test and name state capitals in alphabetical order

I lost a lot of weight doing the Harvard step test/Brouha test, over four stone!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I guess that certainly makes sense if he was legit from south Georgia or living in like north Florida where what he was getting paid (which likely wasn't much) didn't give him enough motivation to come back. Again though, it's still strange for him to bolt like that after being booked strongly for an entire month. At least lose the Beat the Champ status on TV. Damn, I guess Bad Boy Billy Black don't do no jobs. 

I am noticing a trend here in 1995 where people work 1 or 2 SMW tapings then quit. First Eddie Gilbert a few weeks before his passing and then Billy Black. When it rains, it pours....

I was going to say Gilbert before you said it at the end. At least then, it was because he had just gotten the book in Puerto Rico. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Gorilla Monsoon almost commentated the entire Vince Russo WWF era

Shit gets dark and Kane’s music hits, meanwhile Gorilla “Watch your wallets” 😂

Even without Heenan there he was still clowning. Good shit. 

At the risk of making people sadder: if Gorilla was still alive and upright by April 2001, I’m pretty confident it would have been Gorilla/Bobby for the gimmick battle royal

But yes, there’s a “Gorilla Monsoon commentating on Don Callis” match out there too. I can’t find it on YouTube right now but it’s a Kurrgan match.

• Like 2