DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/21 - 2/27/2024 - Rhythm of My Julia Hart

Good point. They could have maybe worked it differently though? Maybe just have him overpower Danielson and make him eat a bunch of Exploders and knees and shit and -- see, this would be a fun twist considering the angle -- make him play Eddie, dying on his sword until he finally makes the big rally and finishes him off with a couple Busaikus. Make it a bomb-throwing affair. Something to cover the limitations, because I know they're not gonna go out there and pull off Danielson/Sabre Jr.

Welcome to the opening of every Botchamania, Max Caster. 

This show was embarrassingly quiet, to the point where you could hear the ref in the ring shout when they were back from break or how many seconds until break.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I enjoyed Bryan Danielson vs. Jun Akiyama though it was my least favourite Bryan Danielson vs. Japanese wrestlers since joining AEW. I'd go:

6. Bryan Danielson vs. Jun Akiyama. AEW Collison, 24th February 2024.

5. Bryan Danielson vs. Yuji Nagata. AEW Collison, 27th January 2024.

4. Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January 2023.

3. Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada. AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door, 25th June 2023.

2. Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki. AEW Rampage, 15th October 2021. *****.

1. Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada. NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 18, 4th January 2024. *****.

I think the Caster Rap dying might have been a planned spot rather than a botch. I mean, we don't know, but if it becomes an angle, that's probably a good explanation.

Is Malakai Black a bleeder? I don't remember seeing his blood ever. Brody King, sure, but I think he's the only bleeder in the HoB. I think they might be doing a TNA on this one (building up to a First Blood match, in which the person they want to lose isn't willing to actually blade at all).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Technico Support said:

AEW, please stop trying to make Sammy Guevara: Likable Babyface happen.  Dude could save animals from a burning pet shelter while curing cancer and we’d still want to punch him in the face.

Amen! 

Solid Saturday Night. Ugh, man, that Collision Opening was something to look forward to and really imbued the show with a meaningful feeling. It's something that feels sorely missed. This show always has great matches, but lacks a feeling of importance. Guevarra v Hobbs opener was pretty strong. Loved Hobbs stealing Kevin Kelly's pants belt. Yeah, they totally should have pants that dweeb. No DQ feels like a tired concept. FTR v Taylor/Moriarty was a good solid TV match. Nice finish. The next gear was never in the cards. I wonder how long before they get serious about Lee. Choose the loose shorts Shane! Good FTR promo that followed, and an even better Mox/Claudio promo preceded. So stoked for round 2. I skimmed passed the Rosa Squash and Scissor Gang v Savages. Not into either. Get Jay White out of this bullshit. I relaxed my ffwd trigger for a fun Bryan Danielson promo. Danielson was scaring me scaring Lexi. Bryan Keith v Malakai Black was terrific. I wonder how high Black's contract sits amongst the highest paid in the company? Building him to taking a loss for a definitive clean Mark Briscoe win - 'I back that play'. That said, it goes against all logic of this promotion that nobody would save Mark from the House. Deeb v Lady Frost was good solid action. Frost is underrated, and Deeb's game is a joy to watch. Serena promo similarly to the last reminds of that scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High where the cheerleaders are trying to get a tired teen pep rally crowd to participate with their message. Putting the Wrestling back in All Elite Wrestling seems a bit silly. Akiyama v Danielson...

11 hours ago, username said:

I saw a few people saying this re: Danielson/Akiyama and like... did everyone forget that Jun is 54? He's held up very well given the age and how physical a style he worked for the first half of his career but he is only gonna be able to give you so much anymore. I thought the match was fine given that.

Totally with this. I thought it was good clean fun, outside of the two missed knees from Danielson - I kinda applaud Danielson's being extra cautious with the Blue Thunder. Kingston was fun on the commentary, and totally dug the post match shenanigans. Kingston/FTR v BCC, fuck YES!  

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 9:41 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Tony's RVD line was a Joey Styles crack from the old days. A Jerry Lynn match I think. 

Styles broke it out in the WWECW days with Kofi when he did his leg drop spot. "The Jamaican's getting high!"

On 2/24/2024 at 12:34 PM, JLowe said:

Rampage was hit and miss, mostly miss for me.

Trios was pretty messy, and seeing Penta meant the finish was a foregone conclusion. Komander did some cool stuff. Darius and Bryan Keith looked a lot alike, about the same height, same braids, Keith has a slightly larger build, but they matched up well. Sydal was odd guy out and Penta tried to kill him twice (pretty sure the apron botch rang his bell some and led to the springboard botch). Private Party don’t really interest me anymore. In my perfect world, Top Flight go back to tag team and chase the ROH titles they were supposed to win. Komander keeps doing cool shit. Not sure how to book Bryan Keith but I like him. Speaking of, you can see how 13 years on the indies makes a huge difference in Keith versus the super green Andretti.

Guevara doesn’t apologize for breaking his idol’s face. Ok. I FFWD through this, Callis at this point draws a ton of heat for himself but is total death as far as angles.

Why do we need Saraya’s brother? I guess she can be his manager. I don’t know, I assume this is for All In but I was under the impression he kinda sucks?

Half watched the Bucks match. It is interesting how they’ve varied their style some to be heelish.

Mariah May has superstar potential. Hot, talented, stiff wrestler, good at getting character across in the ring. Good match. I’m hoping they don’t rush the angle with her and Toni splitting.

Would they actually run a Skye Bkue-Stokely match?

Main was alright, I don’t care much for Hager but he was working hard and there were some good comedy bits. Of course, one of those involved the action in the ring stopping dead for over a minute which I hate. Figured OC would get involved, but also expected the mascot to be a wrestler.

From what I’ve been reading, ROH would be a far better use of my time than Rampage recently.

IMO Rampage-Baby is a far better use of time than 'Lee Johnson In Action' aka ROH on Honorclub. It's nice to see the Ladies getting opportunity, but the results have not exactly been a roaring success. Rampage on the other hand has been quietly pretty excellent Saturday Morning Wrestling for weeks now.

Flights v Parties v Luchadores/Bryan Keith was pretty well executed for what it was. Dante Martin post-broken foot has a chip on his shoulder. I wouldn't say no to a Martins/Andretti heel turn. Saraya/Harley/Zack Knight promo was, uh, offbeat. Knight has looked good on ROH. Harley Cameron is ridiculous and hilarious. Young Bucks squash was fun. Love the heel repertoire thus far. The post match Bucks/Tony segment was more fun from the EvilVPs. Guevarra promo suggests Sammy/AEW Creative's intent on his being latter day Elite Cody. Not a great aim. Hobbs thankfully saved us from Sammy's babyface pursuits.  Skye/Julia promo wasn't great, but far better than the average House of Black promo. I just really applaud the promo reps that are happening - especially on Rampage. Anna Jay v Mariah May was a nice solid TV bout. Mariah May is a total star. More, more, more! It's funny hearing ppl question Anna losing too much. I'm of the belief that Anna will be just fine, and begin her ascent when the time is right. Fuck undercard protection plans. I say 'Better and more competitive matches and more losing for everbody!' I wish I was into the Angelo/Ruby promo, but I'm just not. Here's hoping Knight kills Parker and we can be done with this.  Hager v Strong was a  pretty good TV match. It wouldn't have hurt to give Jake a little mic time prior. 

On 2/24/2024 at 12:05 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Excaliber could easily explain the booking instead of...

When they finally figure out how much less effective the 'Excalibur telling them' strategy is to promos, packages, etc. AEW will have made a huge, huge stride forward!

p.s. great to have Daddy Magic Matt Menard at the desk for the full show.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Loooool at Kingston’s Latte Larry’s hoodie.  Clearly the next step in this feud is Eddie opening a spite shop next to Danielson’s favorite Trader Joe’s.

Sounds like a fun idea for an episode. Not so sure about a season arc tho.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AxB said:

I think the Caster Rap dying might have been a planned spot rather than a botch. I mean, we don't know, but if it becomes an angle, that's probably a good explanation.

Is Malakai Black a bleeder? I don't remember seeing his blood ever. Brody King, sure, but I think he's the only bleeder in the HoB. I think they might be doing a TNA on this one (building up to a First Blood match, in which the person they want to lose isn't willing to actually blade at all).

On second thought after rewatching the entrance and seeing the end of the match, I think you’re right. I saw some people mention that Max’s rap got cut last week by management and this seems to be a response to that. That and Max not celebrating with the rest of the group makes me think it’s setting up the inevitable split where they hopefully take the trios titles off the Acclaimed.

And I’m still stunned by how quiet and small these crowds have been. I think once it’s figured out what nights Raw and SD are going to be on, they should shuffle Collision to a different night.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

Bryan Keith is 32. Why do they keep calling him a young man?

Wait...32 ain't young? Is this 1765 when getting to the ripe age of 23 and not dying of a plague or typhoid fever is considered inconceivable?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Wait...32 ain't young? Is this 1765 when getting to the ripe age of 23 and not dying of a plague or typhoid fever is considered inconceivable?

Nah, too early for the pendulum to swing that far back yet. But Covid was a start.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Peck said:

Penta's taunt was so long Friday night they fit an entire promo read in during it. 

Y'all know how much Penta annoys me. That fucker to me is what Interstellar is to Technico Support and the Young Bucks to Just Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

Moriarty is really shining as the little dog with a big bark that hides behind Taylor.

Oh man, great call.  I have been trying to figure out why I like the Moriarty/Taylor pairing more than the Moriarty/Stoke pairing so far, and I think that element might've been the missing ingredient

• Like 2

Thought Keith/Malakai was good, they got pretty creative with their strike sequences. Also nice that they threw Keith a bone on Rampage, even if it's right back to "close but not quite" jobs on Collision for him.

Good to see Hobbs get a real win, and the main was a solid Danielson carry though not a bad effort by old man Akiyama.

Caster having a "mom's spaghetti" moment needs to be turned into an angle if it wasn't one. That was very weird.

• Like 1