DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 2/7 - 2/13/2024 - First Come, First Swerved

7 hours ago, Sublime said:

Sting will retire tag team champion so that Tony can do his favorite thing and have a tournament to decide the next champs 

Edit: Coach TK here is my pitch for the tournament also. It’s a round robin battlebowl/lethal lottery tournament but everyone gets points individually and the teams are reset after ever round of matches. The two with the highest points at the end become the tag champs.

Make it 3x more complicated, have eliminated wrestlers somehow come back, and then end with Hangman & Swerve as champs, and it's the most Russo idea ever!

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I should also add: I think the refusal of the 5 min extension did a LOT for Hanger character-development wise, and you really can't get there without such a finish.

Hell yes it did.  Hangman going over the edge and hating Swerve so much that he'll sacrifice a title shot just to make sure Swerve can't have one is amazing storytelling.

4 hours ago, Log said:

I had done something to get grounded the week of that show. Of course, since wrestling was by far my favorite thing at that point, my punishment was no wrestling for a week.

Buuuuuut, my parents neglected to inform the babysitter I had on the day of the Clash of my punishment. So, I got to enjoy the show in all it's glory. I thought Sting was the coolest, but didn't hold out much hope that he'd win the title. As the match went on, I kept thinking he may actually do it. I don't think I'd ever seen a match that long at that point in my wresting fandom, so it really stood out to me.

If I recall, that was also the same day as WMIV. I would occasionally switch over to scramble-vision and check in on what was happening there.

Meanwhile, I was 13 and traveled what would turn out to be my future college, Towson State University, to watch Mania 4 on closed circuit.  Truly a tale of two fandoms.

• Like 4

unless they explicitly make the three way elimination.. then having two challengers and one champion might help the challengers more than the champion, at least if you pretend this is all real. Joe could lose the title without being pinned.

I've typed this before, but I think it would make sense that if the first fall involves Joe, the match is over, but if the first fall is Swerve/Page, then the match goes on to have a one on one with Joe. Sorta like Captains rules in Lucha. But I doubt they'd do it like that.

• Like 1

Dynamite Parte Dos

Spoiler

The Brown Note is rumbling so you know Don's Destroyers are on their way out. "JERICHO GO BACK TO TORONTO" is how one fan feels. He lariats Takeshita over the top, who imitates smelling a real bad fart. Sammy comes out to make you hate him even more by not only using the steps to do the stupid reverse cutter but then hits Hobbs right in the face with a chair. I hope he got a reaming by Tony for that, maybe a fine. Both guys trade off having their opponents not catch them on dives. They botch (yeah Chris I said it) something else and almost blow a Blue Thunder bomb off the top. Jericho sells being knocked out -- for about 10-20 seconds tops -- from a screwdriver shot but has to tap. This was just a mess. 

Tag match is immediately a stadium brawl. Bill hilariously licks his fingers after a chop and provides a perfect base for Sting to fly off an entranceway. Then he makes Darby eat a BEAUTIFUL and most impactful Black Hole Slam out of an attempted tope which is the best highspot you will see all week. Our boy tonight is the MVP for sure, he is feeling it, giving the crowd the international "up yours" gesture, shucking and jiving on the mat after tossing Darby like an action figure. Ricky is no slouch either; the look of doubt and regret prior to hitting Sting with the spear, then his loss turned to fuming anger after the kickout is so great. They give Sting and Darby the belts and it's enough to bring a tear to your eye, then the Bucks show up from the white party they were at (ostensibly drinking mocktails made with apple juice after a prayer session and a speaker hired to give a speech about abstinence within a monogamous, heterosexual relationship) and get blood all over them. Awesome, awesome, awesome. 

I'd like to say the main, the sadly truncated women's, and parts of the opener along with Hechicero made up for the rest? Wishful thinking maybe. I'll give it a C. 

EDIT: Man I feel bad going back and reading all the responses (because I screwed up and ruined the finish of Swerve/Page for myself before stopping), y'all liked this way way more than me. This all reads like I'm Debbie Downer over here (including below) and I don't really mean to be like that. The main is definitely going on the Best of AEW comp. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

I was kinda rolling my eyes at the dude with the Ezekiel sign clearly having fucked up the first time with only getting to EZEK on the back before he realized he didn't have any room and had to redo it on the other side, but the actual quote? Brilliant. Next time my dude a ruler and a pencil are your friend. 

Didn't like Sting vs. Flair Broadway. Too long for the amount of stuff they had to work with. Stinger's never really been built for marathons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dynamite Parte Dos

Reveal hidden contents

The Brown Note is rumbling so you know Don's Destroyers are on their way out. "JERICHO GO BACK TO TORONTO" is how one fan feels. He lariats Takeshita over the top, who imitates smelling a real bad fart. Sammy comes out to make you hate him even more by not only using the steps to do the stupid reverse cutter but then hits Hobbs right in the face with a chair. I hope he got a reaming by Tony for that, maybe a fine. Both guys trade off having their opponents not catch them on dives. They botch (yeah Chris I said it) something else and almost blow a Blue Thunder bomb off the top. Jericho sells being knocked out -- for about 10-20 seconds tops -- from a screwdriver shot but has to tap. This was just a mess. 

Tag match is immediately a stadium brawl. Bill hilariously licks his fingers after a chop and provides a perfect base for Sting to fly off an entranceway. Then he makes Darby eat a BEAUTIFUL and most impactful Black Hole Slam out of an attempted tope which is the best highspot you will see all week. Our boy tonight is the MVP for sure, he is feeling it, giving the crowd the international "up yours" gesture, shucking and jiving on the mat after tossing Darby like an action figure. Ricky is no slouch either; the look of doubt and regret prior to hitting Sting with the spear, then his loss turned to fuming anger after the kickout is so great. They give Sting and Darby the belts and it's enough to bring a tear to your eye, then the Bucks show up from the white party they were at (ostensibly drinking mocktails made with apple juice after a prayer session and a speaker hired to give a speech about abstinence within a monogamous, heterosexual relationship) and get blood all over them. Awesome, awesome, awesome. 

I'd like to say the main, the sadly truncated women's, and parts of the opener along with Hechicero made up for the rest? Wishful thinking maybe. I'll give it a C. 

EDIT: Man I feel bad going back and reading all the responses (because I screwed up and ruined the finish of Swerve/Page for myself before stopping), y'all liked this way way more than me. This all reads like I'm Debbie Downer over here (including below) and I don't really mean to be like that. The main is definitely going on the Best of AEW comp. 

Yeah, per cagematch (har har har) this was the highest rated episode of Dynamite since the Brodie tribute and the third-highest rated episode ever. It'll probably even out somewhere around the top five all time. Somewhere around the episode with the Moxley/Kenny cage match or the Danielson/Takeshita + Hangman/Mox + Elite/Death Triangle 7th match.

I don't bring that particular metric up like it proves some objective point, but it is one of the best gauges we have in assessing how much the hardcore fanbase enjoys something. This was clearly the kind of episode that the core fans WANT. A combination of a vibe shift, a return to a more sports-style approach, a much better women's division and the promise of a fresh new champion clicked really hard on Wednesday. The featured outside acts are working out. A lot of fat has been trimmed. The Bucks even seem to be onto something. In my opinion, the most important thing was I didn't know who was going to win a majority of the matches and I can't overstate how important that is at keeping my eyeballs on the screen.

The most telling quote I've heard about AEW in the last few months was QT Marshall complaining about how AEW wanted to "be like New Japan". And you know what? That's what people kinda always wanted it to be. I don't know if the 2023 sports entertainment experiments were a direct reaction to the WWE product being so hot, or if it was a matter of a backstage creative shakeup or what. But I think the C2 really woke up AEW as to what it's core intent should be, and I think the MJF reign is eventually going to be looked at as AEW's Her Satanic Majesty's Request, or something. The high points were really high and most bands/promotions would consider it a solid enough entry but they were chasing the other guys' vibe and getting way too cute with it when they should have kept the grit and been themselves.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Yeah, per cagematch (har har har) this was the highest rated episode of Dynamite since the Brodie tribute and the third-highest rated episode ever. It'll probably even out somewhere around the top five all time. Somewhere around the episode with the Moxley/Kenny cage match or the Danielson/Takeshita + Hangman/Mox + Elite/Death Triangle 7th match.

I don't bring that particular metric up like it proves some objective point, but it is one of the best gauges we have in assessing how much the hardcore fanbase enjoys something. This was clearly the kind of episode that the core fans WANT. A combination of a vibe shift, a return to a more sports-style approach, a much better women's division and the promise of a fresh new champion clicked really hard on Wednesday. The featured outside acts are working out. A lot of fat has been trimmed. The Bucks even seem to be onto something. In my opinion, the most important thing was I didn't know who was going to win a majority of the matches and I can't overstate how important that is in keeping my eyeballs on the screen.

The most telling quote I've heard about AEW in the last few months was QT Marshall complaining about how AEW wanted to "be like New Japan". And you know what? That's what people kinda always wanted it to be. I don't know if the 2023 sports entertainment experiments were a direct reaction to the WWE product being so hot, or if it was a matter of a backstage creative shakeup or what. But I think the C2 really woke up AEW as to what it's core intent should be, and I think the MJF reign is eventually going to be looked at as AEW's Her Satanic Majesty's Request, or something. The high points were really high and most bands/promotions would consider it a solid enough entry but they were chasing the other guys' vibe and getting way too cute with it when they should have kept the grit and been themselves.

Nice read. 'Their Satanic Majesty's Request' is a fun comparison. I vote higher than average on both AEW in 2023 and that underrated Stones LP. I guess that is to say I'm totally down with some inebriated experimentation with 'results may vary'.   

• Like 3

Hangman/Swerve is a great example of going with what the fans give you and making it work. Hangman has every right to be pissed that he's always taken the high road, only for the fans to ditch him for the guy who broke into his house. Nevertheless, the guy who broke in is cool as hell and always delivers a great match even by AEW standards, so he's picking up a lot of organic support. It's the little things that put it over the top, though, like Nana being much more of a babyface manager, and Hanger growing that heel stache.

Bo$$ton wasn't very subtle, but that's ok. That show should really be First Dance but for Mercedes. Okada and Ospreay can debut at the ppv. The women's division is starting to look really crowded now, but in a good way. They finally have a roster that's comparable to WWE talent wise, so hopefully the next step is actually giving them big featured matches.

• Like 1

Because Sasha Banks’ WWE nickname wasn’t The Legit Ness.

That was Giant Haystacks in WCW.

• Haha 9

Sting is actually out of his fucking mind doing balcony dives at 64 years old like 4 weeks before his retirement match. It's reckless, stupid, all that. I fucking love it. The true spirit of pro wrestling.

That Darby tope/side slam bump was so fucking great. I swear to god Darby is made of rubber. I think he's probably my favourite current wrestler.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Hangman has every right to be pissed that he's always taken the high road, only for the fans to ditch him for the guy who broke into his house.

We left him much earlier then that, once he did the Dark Order wrong.

• Thanks 1

Huge Dynamite here! Swerve was THIS close and that was pretty much a heel turn for Hangman. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but since Bucks are heels now, I guess that tracks. I'm shocked that this ended up with 3-way on the PPV. Yes, this is my shocked face 😐

Takeshita with a huge submission win over Jericho and Toni's public workout was successful.

BCC vs CMLL trios match was really entertaining and I got to hear Hechicero's awesome theme again!

Sting and Darby are champions!!! But the EVP's SOILED their reputation worse than any executive in wrestling business history...this week. I mean the week is still young, but so far this week, in any case!

Oh, and @Curt McGirt , unfortunately that sign was none of my doing. Cool sign, though! Not at all outside of something I could have come up with!

Edited by Shartnado
Must have been some other Finn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/7/2024 at 7:30 AM, Just Dave said:

I’m thinking this announcement is a special show in the Boston area to debut Mercedes. 

Right on the Mone! Predictions could be Big Business for you, JD!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Right on the Mone! Predictions could be Big Business for you, JD!

Nobody wants that. All my predictions are based on who I like/think would be good. I don't consider the other audience members or talent. The AEW I've booked in my head is probably really only entertaining to me...

@John E. DynamiteI gotta co-sign every word of that one, huge. You know that Mike Tomlin quote "The standard is the standard?" The marching orders at AEW should be "The alternative is the alternative." Just do whatever the competition is not - fill the void, and the people will come. This week's show was so good, I didn't even bitch and moan about the screens on the ring!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Nobody wants that. All my predictions are based on who I like/think would be good. I don't consider the other audience members or talent. The AEW I've booked in my head is probably really only entertaining to me...

Hey, those are best kind of predictions!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I'll tell you this; someone suggested a Lethal Lottery- type tournament when/if Darby & Sting vacate the Tag Titles. I'm predicting, because I'd find it entertaining, that that's how Santana & Ortiz get back together and finally win their long overdue AEW Championships. I'm also predicting some kind of title reign for Ruby Soho, because it would rule, and she deserves it. I'm also predicting that Swerve/Page/Joe will fornicate.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

m predicting, because I'd find it entertaining, that that's how Santana & Ortiz get back together and finally win their long overdue AEW Championships.

Yo, I SO hope that you're right on this. Id pop huuuuge. In lieu of that, I'd even take a Santana/Ortiz/Kingston power-trio

There's really no reason to do it, but they need established tag teams not named Jackson. It'd be hilarious if Starks/Big Bill said they were amicably going their separate ways and then get partnered up in the draw. They're the team S&O face in the finals. Then maybe you turn Starks on Bill, depending on whether or not Ricky thinks it'd be more fun to toil in nXt as Stark Richards than be in a top spot on AEW TV. If he's leaving, let him shine Large William up on the way out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Just Dave said:

The worst kind of entertainment is the kind made "for everyone". The best stuff is often made to amuse the creator and that's it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Log said:

The worst kind of entertainment is the kind made "for everyone". The best stuff is often made to amuse the creator and that's it.

Yes, unless you are Vince McMahon.

• Like 3