DVDVR Message Board

R-EVOLUTION V - 3/3/2024

On 2/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, tbarrie said:

No, no. There should be another tournament to determine Darby's partner, held simultaneously.

Darby Allin picks 3 of the competitors while the final spot is determined in one of those battle royals with two rings, a ladder, and a life preserver.  What will happen if one of Darby's foes wins?  Can he coexist with Brody King or Swerve Strickland as a partner?  If Danhausen wins, will Ric Flair say, "God, you've only been retired for a few months.  You look like shit, Stinger."

Then Darby/partner face the interim title holders in a best of 7 series.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Darby and Danhausen as a pair of facepaint guys, one a gimmick worker and one who's right up there with Sabu on the crazy scale? Print all the money. 

Danhausen either wimps out or screws up all the time and Darby plays the partner who gets furious but doesn't kick his ass because he's like a lost puppy. *Darby nearly dies from a 20 foot fall* "DANHAUSEN!!! NEXT TIME YOU CAN CATCH ME... CATCH ME! Just... don't do it again. Please." "Danhausen is sorry. Look! He brought you a candy bar."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hangman Adam Page to announce AEW Revolution status on AEW Dynamite.

Well, too late now! Whatever he says, I have already bought the PPV. Hangman is one of my biggest favorites, but if he's out, there's still enough good stuff to make this worthwhile. Now Wardlow already has his own 3-way, so he won't be replacing Page in any case. Maybe it will be Swerve vs Joe one on one? There probably isn't any big names from Japan available to take the spot at a moment's notice, right?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

If Sting is going over do you put that as your main event? End the PPV with hugs, tears, standing Ovation, streamers confetti?

It's rare when the AEW World Championship doesn't go on last but Sting's final match should main event. I just hope he and Darby Allin don't lose. You can do a tournament for the vacant AEW World Tag Team Championship later.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Natural said:

You can do a tournament for the vacant AEW World Tag Team Championship later.

Or a competition where people do the craziest coffin drops they dare and the one who can still get up after the biggest one they do will be Darby's new partner.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Log said:

I don't know how we'd get there, but I'd love a Darby/Brody King team.

You don't have much trust in Brody's coffin droppin' abilities, I see? I'm pretty sure he'd do surprisingly well in that department, the crazy bastard.

Also, if they go to the traditional tournament route, I could see Young Bucks angling their way into the semi-finals, when some team gets taken out (by Young Bucks, who aren't in the original line-up, but because EVPs, now they are) In this case, it could be Kings of the Black Throne, and somehow, Brody could then take Darby's original partner's place (I guess also taken out by Bucks, trying to make the finals 2 on 1) and thus the unlikely team is born?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

You don't have much trust in Brody's coffin droppin' abilities, I see? I'm pretty sure he'd do surprisingly well in that department, the crazy bastard.

Also, if they go to the traditional tournament route, I could see Young Bucks angling their way into the semi-finals, when some team gets taken out (by Young Bucks, who aren't in the original line-up, but because EVPs, now they are) In this case, it could be Kings of the Black Throne, and somehow, Brody could then take Darby's original partner's place (I guess also taken out by Bucks, trying to make the finals 2 on 1) and thus the unlikely team is born?

I dig this a whole lot, the only thing is, I worry that another 'unlikely allies/will they or won't they' pairing with HoB involved is a little too close in proximity to whatever is going on with Skye/Julia

• Like 1

Putting someone else in the three-way would be the dumbest shit ever. Even Wardlow wouldn't work. It's gotta be Joe/Strickland, and it's gotta be Swerve winning unfortunately for Joseph. 

It would be really funny if someone is such a huge fan of the Hungman that they wouldn't buy the PPV cuz he's not on it. 

1 hour ago, Log said:

I don't know how we'd get there, but I'd love a Darby/Brody King team.

Hear me out. Brody picks someone up in a fireman's carry, kneels down, head dropped forward. Darby coffin drops the dude, Brody stands back up, Samoan drop. 

• Like 3

If Swerve is winning, I'd put that on last. Swerve is over enough that he'll have the crowd back and you really don't want your first black world champ getting pushed down the card as an afterthought to a white man's retirement.

I get it, Sting's a legend, and AEW is fortunate to feature his official retirement tour, but I've always been of the mind that the current stars get main event preference over retirees. Going on last helps Swerve's presentation a lot, and it does nothing for Sting since he won't be on any more shows. I'd put this match in the middle of the show. Give it some time to breathe after with all the crowd respect, run a couple backstage segments, then have Meat Madness as the next match because they'll get the crowd back with power spots and meat chants.

• Like 1

I still think Darby and Sting go over, and then Sting says to Darby “time for one last singles match, let’s go” and does the time-honored tradition then. I also am predicting Mutoh will be ringside.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Meat Madness is off. All Star Scramble it is. 

Switching one match that sounds like a Waffle House order for another...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

8 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Switching one match that sounds like a Waffle House order for another...

Oh shit! They should have the MEAT SCRAMBLE MADNESS match IN a WAFFLE HOUSE!

It'd be the greatest thing since the Japanese Bath House match.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I still think Darby and Sting go over, and then Sting says to Darby “time for one last singles match, let’s go” and does the time-honored tradition then. I also am predicting Mutoh will be ringside.

I had that thought too, way back when they first announced it - my thinking was, even if Sting doesn't have enough left in the tank for a singles match, Darby might be a light enough guy that Sting could play the hits both safely, and without getting too blown up. That said, the Bucks aren't exactly Bear Boulder so it wouldn't surprise me if there was a similar thought process at least partially in play, here.

Also: don't ask me why, but after the ceiling entrance last night, I've got a weird premonition the Bucks are gonna come out to Voodoo Child or the stock nWo music at the PPV. They're only a few years older than me, and celebrate that era of Sting/WCW hugely. It would be interesting as a low-key nod to '97 being 'another wrong righted' - similarly to what Darby wrote in Players Tribune about Sting's forced 1st retirement having been corrected by ending this run on his terms.

• Like 2

Visiting a close friend in NC for the weekend and we got to talking about wrestling (he isn't a huge fan).  Long story short, him, my daughter, his girlfriend and myself will all be attending AEW Revolution.  It will be my daughters first wrestling show ever and she'll be getting to see Sting's final match.  She's so excited.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ok, so Revolution has a tradition of multi man matches, but I'm a bit bummed about Meat Madness being expanded into a decidedly less meaty options. Even with the additions, the only guys with a shot at winning are still Hobbs and Wardlow. But if scramble means elimination style one on one matches until only one remains (I'm not sure if that's the case?) that could make for a better match than just another big man 3-way.