DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

Bret's stuff looked like it hurt, but didn't. Goldberg's stuff looked like it hurt because it did. He hit very hard, but not always in safe places.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

Bret's stuff looked like it hurt, but didn't. Goldberg's stuff looked like it hurt because it did. He hit very hard, but not always in safe places.

Okay, now the punches (the rubber mallets as Mick calls them) did on occasion. 

As Goldberg started wrestling actual wrestling more competitive matches, he knew how to work stuff. The issue is you can tell he doesn't really know how to create the music between the notes (including selling). I watched Souled Out 1999 last night. There was some dangerous stuff in the match, but it wasn't because of Goldberg. You got Scott Hall trying to HBK in a ladder match and do the ladder crotch on the ropes, missing, and almost tearing his groin. Then not even a minute later, Disco runs in to interfere, tips the ladder over with Goldberg on it, and Goldberg almost decapitates himself cause his head ricochets off the top rope. That was partly his fault cause he fails to square up his body, but the ladder was not close to enough to ropes for Goldberg to do that spot. 

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

30 years ago tonight:

I was there. Everything just blends together in my memory after so many shows. I had forgotten that those things happened on the same show.

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

That goofball in the front row with the Konnan mask looks a lot like me😂

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ka-to said:

I was there. Everything just blends together in my memory after so many shows. I had forgotten that those things happened on the same show.

That goofball in the front row with the Konnan mask looks a lot like me😂

it is kinda wild that Feinstein looks like an obviously better worker than Paul E, but it wouldn't shock me if Feinstein tried getting wrestling school training in exchange for tapes before finding out that cardio sucks.

Although if he didn't find a way to get a concussion taking that chokeslam, he got real close to it. But then again, 911 isn't putting guys down as gently as Paul Wight.

But yeah, I watched "The Night The Line Was Crossed" for the first time last week and it certainly was something. I've watched more 1995 ECW TV than 1994.

Someone should probably do a triangle/three-way match where the champion has a decided advantage (of entering after the two contenders start) instead of the "first fall wins the title" rules.

• Like 1

Floral Pattern Shirt got over big with me after seeing that video. Everyone else is in some sort of workout or sparring gear and she just rolls up in a shirt and regular pants and throws hammer fists at her opponent while the ref considers maybe stepping in at some point.

If I had a time machine, I'd book Floral Pattern Shirt and Chyna to be the most dominant women's tag team of all time. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Floral Pattern Shirt got over big with me after seeing that video. Everyone else is in some sort of workout or sparring gear and she just rolls up in a shirt and regular pants and throws hammer fists at her opponent while the ref considers maybe stepping in at some point.

Yo seconded!! That was like, some early proto-MMA ground 'n' pound by her.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Say what you will about Meltzer but WOR always entertains me. Talking about Damage CTRL breaking up he compares it to Seinfeld and says they did it on there 15 years ago. Turned me into the weirdo on the bus laughing loudly by himself. 

Were you laughing because Seinfeld went off the air 27 years ago and thus couldn't have run a storyline fifteen years ago, as Meltzer apparently said?

Meltz is a total space cadet and I remain surprised that people pay to listen to him talk about wrestling because they value his wrestling opinions. Now, valuing him for being unintentionally funny and generally entertaining, I totally get. 

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Like 2

After the atrocity of the first one, I think any thought of revisiting it was nonexistent. The lack of forethought into that thing was mindboggling.

For example, the amount of lower body injuries in the tournament cause these dudes aren't actual boxers save for Mero who was like probably a decade or more removed from amateur boxing or training anything boxing so he essentially sucked like the other dudes. So if you're off balance or don't particularly move with any grace like most real boxers would, falling involuntarily backwards or forwards is probably going to lead to a pretty serious and significant injury that puts you out several months in addition to any traumatic brain injury. Doesn't help that all those dudes are giants so it's their own body weight coming down on them. So if none of the movements you make are natural, a torn hamstring, blown out knee, or maybe a nasty ankle break ala Ezra Sellers vs. John McClain is definitely on the table.

40 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Were you laughing because Seinfeld went off the air 27 years ago and thus couldn't have run a storyline fifteen years ago, as Meltzer apparently said?

Meltz is a total space cadet and I remain surprised that people pay to listen to him talk about wrestling because they value his wrestling opinions. Now, valuing him for being unintentionally funny and generally entertaining, I totally get. 

Yeah, I was. At this point I listen because I have a ton of time to fill because I work by myself in a kitchen. I'd listen to music but it's an open kitchen so I can only use a single earbud. Dave is kind of like an uncle I have a lot of good will towards even if his opinions are out there. Plus it's a break from the Between the Sheets marathons. I also enjoy him pushing Alvarez to his limits on a seemingly daily basis. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I believe this is also the one exploitative idea that the WWE didn’t make their divas do in the 2000s

They tried to do Foxy Boxing during the live divas search but it got shut down by the local athletic commission 

15 minutes ago, zendragon said:

They tried to do Foxy Boxing during the live divas search but it got shut down by the local athletic commission 

guess they didn't try it in a state where strip clubs had powderpuff boxing or whatever they called strippers playfighting that I saw once while in College

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

guess they didn't try it in a state where strip clubs had powderpuff boxing or whatever they called strippers playfighting that I saw once while in College

The issue isn't so much the fighting as it is televising something that should not be happening cause that puts the state in trouble. Yeah, a quarter century plus ago, it was easier to get away with (the televising aspect). However, once folks started dropping dead in toughman contests and/or getting seriously hurt, states/commissions started cracking down on stuff across the board. There is stuff going on that's still wildly illegal or borderline in gentlemen establishments to bars, but the difference is it's not being televised for someone to get in serious legal trouble.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Say what you will about Meltzer but WOR always entertains me. Talking about Damage CTRL breaking up he compares it to Seinfeld and says they did it on there 15 years ago. Turned me into the weirdo on the bus laughing loudly by himself. 

Surprised Dave didn’t make a Friens reference 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Lingerie Pillow Fight was the Divas equivalent. 😀

It's crazy that in era of influencer boxing where legit 90 percent of them cannot fight, 5% are semi decent, and the other 5% are actually good that more of female contingent aren't bigger superstars than they are. Like Valerie Loureda had to leave fighting to actually become something than what she was (hot woman who kinda knows Taekwondo). Ebanie Bridges is kinda extremely example since she's a former actual world champ, but if this was 1998, she's on the level of Sable. Elle Brooke, who is more famous for her adult entertainment content but can actually fight, is just some low level pseudo celeb. Maybe it's different cause where I am with those two and @AxB can say differently, but it feels like they don't have that profound impact. Maybe Gina Carano screwed it up for hot women in combat sports. Who knows?

5 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

Meltzer first said it happened on Seinfeld 100 years ago, but because he is nearly Drax levels of not understanding or using sarcasm, he had to immediately correct himself by saying, “well, not 100 years ago, probably more like 10 or 15.”

It’s too bad for Bryan that they’re on video now and can’t mute himself before banging his head against his desk.

Oh Dave.

• Haha 3