DVDVR Message Board

AEW - FEBRUARY 2024

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Should book Penta in a hands tied behind his back match but he'd still somehow taunt to spite me.

Only if it’s against OC where the gimmick is Orange has to do the Penta taunts the whole match

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Baker seems to be waiting for others to fail first, not sure that'll happen if they keep bringing in new talent

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/britt-baker-addresses-taking-step-back-from-aew-spotlight-in-2023

"I think with our very passionate fans, they're very vocal with what they want, what they don't want, what they like, what they don't like. And we listen -- I listen. So if they are telling me they want more or less of something, then ok, I hear you loud and clear. And a lot of them said, 'We want less Britt Baker.' So if that's what they want, ok that's what they'll get. Let me take a step back. Here's the rest of the women. Someone else take the ball and run with it and make the women's division about you, and you be the face of the women's division. And when no one else can do that, I'll be there to pick up the pieces and do it all over again."

That has to be a semi kayfabe answer, right?  In an effort to be not so cynical, I need to believe nobody is that far up their own ass.  I mean I have seen many examples of the Dunning–Kruger effect in my lifetime, but god damn.

• Like 1

TD Garden show is up on Ticketmaster. Presale is on Saturday at 10am.

Feels like tonight will be an announcement of the show + a vignette teasing Mercedes Mone probably.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That has to be a semi kayfabe answer, right?  In an effort to be not so cynical, I need to believe nobody is that far up their own ass.  I mean I have seen many examples of the Dunning–Kruger effect in my lifetime, but god damn.

That's fair, the article does say the last part is in-character and I missed that 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

That's fair, the article does say the last part is in-character and I missed that 

Oh no, it's totally understandable that you'd miss it...the quote is so worky-shooty that it's easy to take it as real.  I mean, in kayfabe, where this is supposed to be a legitimate sport, what does "handed the ball" mean?  Why would a competitor care about the fans being sick of them?  They should be concerned with winning titles.  The Patriots didn't take a step back to see who else could carry the NFL when we were sick of them winning every year.   A wrestling character giving that sort of quote makes no sense.

Edited by Technico Support

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Wasn't she taking time off for a back injury?

She was and then she came back and looked awful and was getting go away heat.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

The Patriots didn't take a step back to see who else could carry the NFL when we were sick of them winning every year.  

Yes they did. They just did it a lot later than we wanted them to.

• Haha 2

I’m not suggesting Britt Baker is any kind of great worker, but the fact that she went from ultra bland baby face to carrying the Division during the first couple years is pretty remarkable. Could she surprise again? During that run she may not have been the divisions best worker (also nowhere near the worst), but she was easily its best talker/entertainer. She’s also shown herself to be a pretty selfless team player where needed. Stepping back rather than playing politics for belts and top spots. I also respect her for listening to the crowd. A work/shoot comment on a pod doesn’t seem like a great reason to bury her. As @JLowementioned she got injured and tried to work through it. It was ugly but she ultimately read the audience. To that I say Thanks DMD. 

If they ever get women’s tag straps she’d be a great fit with a less charismatic but better worker. I’d also welcome a transition to part time wrestler/manager. 

ps more importantly, I miss Rebel/Reba. Surely somebody in the division could use her excellent services.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I’d also welcome a transition to part time wrestler/manager. 

Baker is probably the exact shot in the arm that Cole's stable needs to get some actual heat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

they ever get women’s tag straps she’d be a great fit with a less charismatic but better worker. I

I was all ready to shout "Serena Deeb!" to anyone who would listen, but after her great comeback promo on Collision the other week, I'm not even sure she should be saddled with the "less charismatic" designation anymore - perhaps less charismatic than Britt herself, but very, very few in the division can match her on the mic anyway IMO.

Overall, I enjoy Baker, and look forward to her coming back refreshed - not dumping on anyone, but some of that Outcasts stuff really didn't do her or anyone involved any favors (One could argue it was necessary to get to 'Timeless Toni' but candidly, I wasn't really into the ride).

I seem to recall Britt doing a lot of posturing on social media trying to make a Purazzo match happen when she was TNA champion and the 'Forbidden Door' was first opened - maybe that's where we're eventually heading

• Like 2

I started watching in early fall of 2021 so I missed the start of AEW and the pandemic Daily’s Place years.

Baker has a lot of charisma and is a solid mic worker, and has a slightly above average in-ring ceiling (using a sling blade almost as shitty as Penta’s as a finisher setup doesn’t help). This also isn’t helped by her seemingly having kind of a shitty attitude (that “kayfabe” answer to that question comes off so real because it matches things said elsewhere about her), doesn’t do a ton to get her opponents over, and half-asses when she’s booked to lose. That reality show (which was a HUGE mistake all around) where Schiavone chews her out backstage and tells her to get over herself was revealing.

Meanwhile, AEW has brought in a number of very talented wormen, with experience around the world, mostly good talkers and charismatic, most are conventionally attractive, all are native English speakers (which is still pretty important when it comes to a company mainly broadcasting to an American audience). They’ve also been able to bring in and build up some talented indie workers (Skye Blue and Willow Nightengale immediately spring to mind) and hit on one of their in-house products (Julia Hart).

It’s a tough business and I don’t blame her for trying to protect her spot. But it’s also a business where you can easily be passed up.

• Like 2

I still have the gif of Schiavone mouthing "What the fuck?" during one of Baker's promos on him, it has a million uses. I remember it being a bad promo and they cut away mid-sentence but right after that was Covid and during the Daily's Place matches she really started to improve in and out of the ring. The whole thing with Saraya was weirdly executed though, no idea why Baker kept babyfacing herself in that angle and turning it into the Outcasts thing

https://x.com/ehsteveG/status/1220159805689683968?s=20

Looks like AEW is putting together an impressive women's division, we'll see if it gets the time and attention to develop with these new faces or if they will just push the current crop aside for the one timeslot (I know they have more matches during the week but Dynamite is the A-show). Deeb, Statlander, Purazzo, and Storm are all great, add in Mone for star power and all their developing talents and undercard vets and there's a lot of potential there

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I started watching in early fall of 2021 so I missed the start of AEW and the pandemic Daily’s Place years.

Baker has a lot of charisma and is a solid mic worker, and has a slightly above average in-ring ceiling (using a sling blade almost as shitty as Penta’s as a finisher setup doesn’t help). This also isn’t helped by her seemingly having kind of a shitty attitude (that “kayfabe” answer to that question comes off so real because it matches things said elsewhere about her), doesn’t do a ton to get her opponents over, and half-asses when she’s booked to lose. That reality show (which was a HUGE mistake all around) where Schiavone chews her out backstage and tells her to get over herself was revealing.

Meanwhile, AEW has brought in a number of very talented wormen, with experience around the world, mostly good talkers and charismatic, most are conventionally attractive, all are native English speakers (which is still pretty important when it comes to a company mainly broadcasting to an American audience). They’ve also been able to bring in and build up some talented indie workers (Skye Blue and Willow Nightengale immediately spring to mind) and hit on one of their in-house products (Julia Hart).

It’s a tough business and I don’t blame her for trying to protect her spot. But it’s also a business where you can easily be passed up.

Baker's Covid/Daily's place run: she was booked as a babyface and was just kinda meh.  Not a great worker, either.  Got injured in May 2020 and then came back a better wrestler in September, which was a pleasant surprise.  Her heel character carried a limited division.

Now she's pretty banged up and the company has many workers who are better and have far fewer miles and injuries piled up.  She still has the star power and can get people to chant "DMD," but I'm not positive what she can bring to a division that has passed her by.  I do like the idea of women's tag belts and teaming her with someone who can go, where she could be hidden a little better, working to her strengths while taking it a little easier.  I'd suggest Hayter but I selfishly need to see what Hayter can do with this new crop as soon as she's back.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I very much agree with the latter half of your comment concerning the Division. I also very, very much agree with your assessment of the Sling Blade (not the criminally-underrated-by-some Penta tho).

What's the example of Baker not doing 'a ton to get her opponents over'? And also 'half-asses when she's booked to lose'? That doesn't seem fair, nor does it feel all that fair or reasonable to judge a wrestler based on a pro wrestling character and a 'reality' show. Still seems a bit unjust to bury her from a pod comment, but I'm now interested to hear that interview. The Schiavone thing is worth noting as their were some political games being played around Rosa (forgot about that). I don't feel confident about what the fuck that story is to blame either woman, and that was what brought upon the restaurant scene with Skee-vone. 

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Baker's Covid/Daily's place run: she was booked as a babyface and was just kinda meh.  Not a great worker, either.  Got injured in May 2020 and then came back a better wrestler in September, which was a pleasant surprise.  Her heel character carried a limited division.

Now she's pretty banged up and the company has many workers who are better and have far fewer miles and injuries piled up.  She still has the star power and can get people to chant "DMD," but I'm not positive what she can bring to a division that has passed her by.  I do like the idea of women's tag belts and teaming her with someone who can go, where she could be hidden a little better, working to her strengths while taking it a little easier.  I'd suggest Hayter but I selfishly need to see what Hayter can do with this new crop as soon as she's back.

Pretty accurate, but the Daily's Place run was all heel. She turned on the Cruise. I thought she was a really fun heel throughout that run. Save for that awful Swole bout, but what are you gonna do with incompetent Swole? It should also be noted that the hate for DMD during that early run of heel promos was at a fever pitch, far worse than more recent times. It's remarkable that she was able to get passed that. Her heel mic work and character were fucking great, and what got her over. During the first promo she heartlessly talked shit on Schiavone for working at Starbucks. I thought it was great, but a lot of ppl seemed to be reading it as as some sort of semi-shoot or something. I assume because they personally hated her so much. I'm not saying she didn't need a few national TV mic reps to get herself comfortable, but she was a natural heel from the get go. The role she should always play. Her big title win at Double or Nothing felt very exciting, even if the match v inconsistent Shida wasn't 'much to write home about'.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

you know if they were doing this like how they used to do wrestling, Darby would go to Everest and come back using a mysterious move that he learned from a Sherpa.

Would Darby come back spraying Asian Mist in his opponents eyes? 

It would have to be white mist causing his opponents to be snowblind, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2