DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/24 - 1/30/2024 - Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Scissor Gang

Collision was pretty fun.

Enjoyed OC vs Komander going with the lucha matwork to first.

Danielson vs Nagata was as awesome as it could have been

The cage match- I hate escape rules, but they worked the best possible match under those rules, and made it make sense, plus really got DG over at the end.  Bravo to everyone involved in that, really well done.  They need to strike now with DG I think, this is his best chance to get over- maybe even have him beat Christian- Cope/Christian doesn't really need the belt.

• Like 5

Jenalysis said pretty much what I came to say. Multi-person escape-the-cage matches are stupid when looked at through a sensible eye, but those guys made a great match out of them. (And really, how big of a problem is being stupid in the world of pro wrestling?)

This was a bit difficult as I was juggling between this, the Rumble, and commenting on the Discord, but fun to do. 

Shane Taylor Productions vs. Blackpool Combat Club! Good stuff, a hard-hitting sprint. I don't think the feud is over nor should it be. Does STP have a third member? If not they need to get somebody and we need some six-mans out of this. Let it get nasty. 

Kelly: "The llave submission style is relentless", meanwhile they are trading high spots all match long after the initial rolling. It's what you'd expect from a Komander/Orange match. At least Kingdom didn't have much of a purpose aside from being bases. 

Garcia has been Nancy Kerrigan-ed! He is covered in the red red krovvy! Oh my stars and garters!

We get two women's matches tonight, which is fun to see one happen while the women's Rumble is on elsewhere. Lady Frost is great and is willing to lay down for Mariah May. Nice to see Tina Fey Serena Deeb "back from injury"/out of the doghouse. Her and the very solid Robyn Renegade, who has impressed in all the matches I've seen her in so far, worked some really complicated and fluid stuff, including a wiggle out of a hold into a prayer-hands position from Serena which should be called the Namaste. Crowd is HYPED for her being back, which is pretty cool. 

They're also hyped for Yuji Nagata! That is a welcome surprise. He looks a little slow at first but soon as he hears "Let's Go Yuji" following the "Let's Go Bryan" his ears perk up and he gets the red light fever. Yuji is underrated as one of the most facially expressive of all Japanese wrestlers, many go for stoicism but Blue Justice is out here pulling faces like crazy, he's a busted up old man and he is showing it in every pained grimace and show of strength. The King of the Mountain spot with Bryan headbutting him down the buckles over and over was so good. He would just not die and you feel it. The zombie armbar spot wasn't as good as I expected but besides that this was really, really fun. I guess they wouldn't let Eddie stare through the curtain so they put him at ringside instead, so Bryan can fuck with him by cutting off his music to start and flipping him off at the end. The Eddie-Willie match, meanwhile, is vicious. Eddie eats a powerbomb with his head bouncing like four inches off the mat; Willie gets popped with a line-drive-down-center-field backfist that nails him right in the neck. Ouch. 

The main was alright. Its internal logic is real weird, why are you gonna leave the ring and give your team a disadvantage, why not get the door open and toss someone out instead. This was just a bunch of bombs instead of a brawl with a guy wearing a fittingly Mid-South-esque "pressure bandage" (TM Bill Watts) that should have came off so he could leak all over the ring. But, they landed the finish pretty perfectly in a very crowd-pleasing fashion. This crowd btw was night-and-day to the one on Wednesday. Meanwhile at the Rumble people are sitting on their hands. 

• Like 4

Remembered this. Some goober decided to try and start a "Suplex City" chant after Lady Frost and Mariah May switched off doing Germans. He got through two hollers and stopped. I'm not sure if this was live or pre-recorded, but if it was live... man, I can only imagine the dirty looks he caught.

• Like 2

Long day but caught Collision on a dvr type recording.

Very good wrestling television show. The type of fun variety I like. 

OC vs Komander reminded me of a fun CHIKARA match. Technical lucha with fun gimmicks and shenanigans sprinkled in.

Two women’s matches! Look at that. Tony comes through.

Deebs is awesome. Glad she is back. Excited for her to mix it up in high profile matches.

Kingston vs Mack was ugly delicious. Classic Eddie underdog but King Road Tributing his way through. I was worried about Willie for a second with him not backflip if and landing on his head, but they did a good job making it work because of the knee. Was very well played and made the match even better. 

Danielson is a prick and hates Eddie. Love it!

Bryan Danielson vs Yuji Nagata I’m jotting down as a MOTYC. I absolutely adored this. Yuji still has it and was really getting me excited with his rising and lowering up and down the top rope. 

I will tell lil Octopus about this Danielson AEW run when he is older.

Forgot to mention the opening tag. Good stuff.

Cage Match was very fun. I liked the dynamic of starting outside of the cage, the swerve of thinking we’re getting Briscoe, and the actually getting a beat up Garcia. Who might I add sold wonderfully throughout the match. Daniel Garcia was a real highlight. I like the dynamics of teams where escaping can actually put your team in peril. The late part with Buddy climbing back up really made sense and added to it. I also don’t care as much for door usage, but it can be done well and I liked it here. You have to carry the momentum of the match and have everyone down or something. It worked even in the flawed way. The mist was cool. Loved the ending with a returning Mark. Good guys hug. They really feel like the Collision Crew. House of Black still look strong.

In summation: Neat.

• Like 6

Just now, Octopus said:

I was worried about Willie for a second with him not backflip if and landing on his head, but they did a good job making it work because of the knee

There were three thoughts that went through my head on that in about as many seconds. 

1. "He didn't quite get that, good thing he didn't rotate more"

2. "Wait that looked too good to be a botch"

3. "Ah they're talking about the knee I think it might have been intentional"

We probably won't find out. But if that was planned, kudos. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There were three thoughts that went through my head on that in about as many seconds. 

1. "He didn't quite get that, good thing he didn't rotate more"

2. "Wait that looked too good to be a botch"

3. "Ah they're talking about the knee I think it might have been intentional"

We probably won't find out. But if that was planned, kudos. 

Yeah, no idea if it was a *BOTCH!!!!!!! or a planned failed move. But it worked perfectly with the story they ended up telling.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Eddie was fantastic on commentary for that Nagata/Danielson match, and if he doesn't become Collision Taz once he hangs it up, I'll be immensely disappointed. I also thought this was a great match, they had me going with that entire corner sequence (and I especially enjoyed the Scott Norton reference from KK and TS).

Complicated feelings on the cage match. On the one hand, they structured the escapes in such a way to avoid the bullshit inherent to doing escape rules in a tag/trios. On the other: its glaringly obvious that... they structured the escapes in such a way to avoid the bullshit inherent to doing escape rules in a tag/trios. Also didn't love all the stuff with Briscoe and Julia just for the reason of that it defeated the purpose of the cage a bit. Enjoyed the actual match, though, particularly all the Dax/Brody exchanges and that king size crossbody from Cash off the top of the cage

Also: Serena Deeb is not only back, not only had a great match, but is now also a good promo?!?! Not sure when the hell that happened but now there's absolutely, positively, no choice but to belt her up ASAP. Welcome back, indeed

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

Serena Deeb bringing the FIRE! Love to see it, one of my all time favs. Great match and promo. Robyn Renegade's also been shining in all of her outings lately, so this all ruled.

Opening tag was fun. Bryan/Nagata was as awesome as would be expected.

Really enjoyed the main event. Thought all the story beats were really well executed and the escapes all made sense. Particularly dug Brody tackling Dax out the door. Loved Mark Briscoe not just disappearing but coming back around to be a major part of the finish. Star quality ending for Garcia. Great stuff. 

• Like 4

Really damn good Collision. Two camera shots I loved:

1. Komander's rope walk springboard dive, staying with it from the behind angle gave it a cool perspective. Similarly...

2. Brody and Dax tumbling off the cage back into the ring. Looked like they fell a goddamn mile from that angle, as opposed to the replay. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

the Scott Norton reference

I grinned real big when that happened because I knew that Tony was doing the same thing and thinking "God, Flash Norton, what a great guy. Oh, and that time at the bar in Greensboro..." followed by his answer. 

I missed those two camera angles. Shit.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I want to give that crowd a shout out. Especially for being directly against the Rumble, they were loud and awesome. That’s how it’s done, Savanah 

I know AEW has their attendance issues, but I’ll take a smaller, passionate crowd over a huge one with the same handful of dorks in the front row every show reacting to nothing. 

• Like 9

Yeah, kudos to Bossier City! Fun show! BCC v STP was on point. Mox's entrances have been wonderfully bananas lately. OC v Kommander went 2 for 2 and an A+ for variety. OC v CMLL on the way!? Storm promo was solid. I loved Mariah v Frost. Both were excellent. Mariah is a total star. Very much dug the Hanger/Swerve promos. They need a slightly less clunky way of introducing the Dealers Choice gimmick, but it's a fun idea. What does RVD v Swerve look like? I don't love Strickland needing interference here. Kingston v Mack was awesome. Willie Mack is a great hand. He's also a presentation tweak and a tag partner away from a more signifcant place on the card. Hoping he's doing alright today. That was really scary. Best wishes to Willie. The transition to Nagata v Danielson was excellent. Wonderfully fun booking here. Deeb v Renegade was a nice competitive enhancement match. Deeb promo made pretty well the most of her minutes. She should talk more inbetween matches. So should everybody in the division. Garcia/FTR v House of Black was so fun. They worked very well with such a easily clunky gimmick. My only real question is 'why would Dax suddenly leave the cage as he did? Not gonna tell your teammates there Dax?' Amusingly, it seemed like a dick move. Also, Mark Briscoe is too proven tough to be done after that single stage bump. He should have had a follow up attack. Brody's finisher? Visually I would have loved a medical staff attending to Mark. That said,so much to love here. Most everything. Especially loved the dive Brody threw. Of course, Cash is Money. Nice storytelling, @MattD was right to assume they'd pull it off. I shouldn't have doubted this stellar 6. Fuck yeah! DUB RULE WORLD.

• Like 4

Collision was definitely "My AEW." Hard hitting opening tag with a limb focus. Orange Cassidy match; not the best but still a lot of fun with percolating storylines underneath. Solid women's match to get May over even more; she's very active and in the moment all times with her crowd interaction. That just awesome stretch of the Kingston match, the wonderful Danielson match that you couldn't get anywhere else, Deeb's return, and then the wild six man cage match full of bells and whistles and family and hatred. Such a great show.

Granted, it's AEW so I'm not looking forward to Dynamite much (Jericho vs Fletcher, Deonna vs Taya, Strickland vs RVD?, Page vs Toa).

• Like 7

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hoping for Bryan Danielson vs. Eddie Kingston for the AEW Continental Championship at AEW Revolution 2024.

Silly question - does the Continental title 'include' the ROH title lineage? Wondering if there would be some kind of record in play here of longest time between title reigns should Danielson win it (I had a false memory of Claudio having held the title under the old regime but I must be thinking of when he lost to Morishima or something, it's Monday morning and I'm not alive/alert/awake) - the only other semi-recent example I could think of is where Bret beat the Miz for the US title for a hot second, making it something like 12 or 13 years between then and when he beat DDP on Thunder

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

Collision was definitely "My AEW." Hard hitting opening tag with a limb focus. Orange Cassidy match; not the best but still a lot of fun with percolating storylines underneath. Solid women's match to get May over even more; she's very active and in the moment all times with her crowd interaction. That just awesome stretch of the Kingston match, the wonderful Danielson match that you couldn't get anywhere else, Deeb's return, and then the wild six man cage match full of bells and whistles and family and hatred. Such a great show.

Granted, it's AEW so I'm not looking forward to Dynamite much (Jericho vs Fletcher, Deonna vs Taya, Strickland vs RVD?, Page vs Toa).

First paragraph sums up my feelings well, this one was right up my alley too for all the reasons you noted - where I'll diverge from you a bit is the second; I hard agree it's not a 'look forward to' card on paper, but sometimes those end up being the sneaky good ones. Full disclosure: I'm also probably being a bit 'glass half full' about it because I'm the right age to have spent some time as a teenager thinking RVD/Jerry Lynn's matches were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

First paragraph sums up my feelings well, this one was right up my alley too for all the reasons you noted - where I'll diverge from you a bit is the second; I hard agree it's not a 'look forward to' card on paper, but sometimes those end up being the sneaky good ones. Full disclosure: I'm also probably being a bit 'glass half full' about it because I'm the right age to have spent some time as a teenager thinking RVD/Jerry Lynn's matches were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

To be fair:

• Toa is pretty much a perfect Page opponent if he gives into the flow and doesn't try to make a statement with it and take too much of it. 
  • I have no idea if Swerve is a big RVD fan but they're two guys who move in weird ways and come at things from weird angles and maybe there could be something compelling there. 
  • Deonna and Taya have been in the ring together over ten times and that'll probably give them a jump start. 
  • Fletcher will have a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. He can create motion for Jericho. I got nothing. 

So it is set to overachieve but I'd be just as fine with it not existing they run back the Collision card again?

• Like 5