DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 1/10 - 1/16/2024 - I Know Why The Christian Caged Bird Sings

56 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Apologies for the back to back posts, but I really gotta co-sign this one - good call GTS.

Also: It bears repeating how friggin badly I want a Dutch singles run. Vincent is a little too over the top for me - I want "meth head" energy, but he's giving me "theater kid."

I am the same with Vincent. I was never clear why he was doing some variation of jazz hands on his way to the ring. Very much an “all-star high school cast doing Grease at a prominent regional theater” vibes and not desert dwelling weirdo with Messianic vibes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I am the same with Vincent. I was never clear why he was doing some variation of jazz hands on his way to the ring. Very much an “all-star high school cast doing Grease at a prominent regional theater” vibes and not desert dwelling weirdo with Messianic vibes. 

Yes, exactly!!!! You hit the nail on the head, dude. Someone lock that guy in a room with nothing to watch but Charles Manson interviews and Uncle Acid music videos, please.

Edit: @Matt DI can't argue with that. In a perfect world, we get the Dutch/Drake pairing and Anthony becomes a force in the Pure division - but I can't lie, as a single, I think that MIGHT be his ceiling? Not dumping on the guy at all, he's obviously great in the ring, but (at least on AEW TV) I don't think he's shown the same 'intangibles' of, let's say, a Danny Garcia. Which is a bit funny with the benefit of hindsight, because Drake, despite being the meaty shitkicker half of the team, was low key hilarious during his tenure with the Wingmen IMO.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Action Bronson wrote Hook's theme just for him. He's not getting rid of it. 

Damn you, Action Bronson! Damn you to hell, so you can learn write better themes.

And Baltimora wrote his only hit well in advance for Jungle Boy and not only did they get rid of the theme, they got rid of the Jungle Boy!

Edited by Shartnado
There's a precedent!
  • Haha 2

He's long been noted as sounding too much like Ghostface Killah, which is definitely not the worst person to either imitate or sound familiar to in hip hop. I've never listened to any of his albums. If anyone on here has a recommendation, I'd check it out and give my appraisal. I've certainly seen enough of him on Fuck, That's Delicious and he seems like a stand-up guy and a wrestling fan (ECW hats, went to see BJW in Japan). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Just Dave said:

Looks like the Bucks were eyeball repellant again this week. The ratings breakdown was… unkind, to say the least. 

Dog shit biased take man. Someone appearing for 3 minutes at the end of a show has zero bearing on the previous hour and 57 minutes rating trends. I know you know that.

Is it really too much to ask to keep takes based in logic?

• Like 4

As for the 'Why can't Sting just work a singles match question', A LOT of the structure of the tag matches they work are heavily based around segments where Darby does Darby shit and Sting gets to lay around & sell / catch his breath.

I know he does lots of brawling and bumping and selling as is, but they don't have to show a full 5 minutes of that if they can switch to Darby doing a dive or being sandbag tossed 300 feet.

There would be long segments of extended two people laying around so Sting doesn't get too gassed. Which is boring to show on camera. And your cardio drops hard as you age. He's literally not capable of even the brawling kind of match he does as a team without lonnggg segments of double down selling.

He picked The Bucks and I get why. Car crash craziness with them and Darby. Can keep a highhhh pace. Can stooge and sell and an all action high spot filled exciting match. Very similar to Sting & Darby vs Swerve & Christian from All In (which I thought was match if the night).

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

He's long been noted as sounding too much like Ghostface Killah, which is definitely not the worst person to either imitate or sound familiar to in hip hop. I've never listened to any of his albums. If anyone on here has a recommendation, I'd check it out and give my appraisal. I've certainly seen enough of him on Fuck, That's Delicious and he seems like a stand-up guy and a wrestling fan (ECW hats, went to see BJW in Japan). 

I'm not like a massive fan so someone else may be more qualified to answer this, but I think Blue Chips 1&2 is his 'big' tape. Lots of great wrestling references throughout, too (e.g. one of my fav tracks on it is just called Ron Simmons, and starts with a 'Damn!' sample).

• Like 2

I'm sure Sting was looking at Darby when Tony was talking about "his last opponent", even after the Bucks came out. I'm hoping it's a bait-and-switch. Sting and Darby can do a 10-minute smoke and mirrors match.

12 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

I'm sure Sting was looking at Darby when Tony was talking about "his last opponent", even after the Bucks came out. I'm hoping it's a bait-and-switch. Sting and Darby can do a 10-minute smoke and mirrors match.

I mean they could do one. But the degree of difficulty is pretty high. Even if the odds are 50 / 50 that it could be good vs a train wreck why risk it? I think its more like 20 / 80 to be honest. But a tag match vs The Bucks has a significantly lower degree of difficulty. The match could still be bad. But the odds are more like 90 / 10.

I guess people aren't factoring in the pressure of I HAVE TO HAVE A GOOD MATCH HERE on a performer's psyche. This is his last match. And Im sure he doesn't wanna have a bad showing like the World's End trainwreck. The easiest way to almost guarantee it is handpick a team he's confident in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Log said:

Hook's theme is awesome and fits his vibe perfectly.

Ok, maybe they have just replaced it with something shitty on Triller due to copyright reasons, idk?

Edited by Shartnado

No Young Bucks fan but it's Sting's right to call who he wants for his final match and Sting/Darby Allin/Shingo Takagi vs. Young Bucks/El Phantasmo at AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door 2022 was a great match. I still think Sting/Darby Allin vs. #FTR from AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021 was Sting's best AEW match though.

• Like 3

Meltzer:

Tony Khan was going to give Sting the option to pick whoever he wanted to face, and that would include pretty much anyone on the AEW roster or most other rosters besides WWE since Khan would have given him any match he wanted that involved talent he could have access to. When he was asked who he wanted to face, they were his choice, as he loved doing the Forbidden Door 2022 match in Chicago (Sting & Allin & Shingo Takagi vs. Bucks & El Phantasmo).

The Young Bucks were originally going to take more time off before returning but Sting asked them and they weren’t about to turn that down.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I really liked the Blue Chips mixtape when it came out. I haven't listened to it in years so I don't know how it holds up.

• Like 1

Sting is such a great smoke and mirrors wrestler. Dude is 65. He does wild garbage match-y stuff for a reason. A match where Sting takes a crazy table bump and sells for a while or wins with his scorpion drop from the rafters — maybe the crazy bump is not as crazy as a non-wrestler thinks and they’ve done a good job protecting a lot of the damage. That is part of the illusion and magic of wrestling. I mean, maybe Sting is just insane. But I could see there are possible ways where the bumps he takes in these matches (or bump?) are a hell of a lot easier on a body than a whole bunch of regular back bumps in a ring. Higher degree of difficulty with the table bumps but maybe they’re not as dangerous? 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

maybe Sting is just insane.

Any 65 year old man who decides he's gonna fall off a balcony in Scorpion deathdrop position holding another man with only two tables to break his fall, where he could easily smack the back of his head directly onto the floor even if the tables worked as they should, is insane. In fact anyone who does that is cuckoo, meaning most if not all wrestlers 🤪

EDIT: I got ahold of the Blue Chips tapes, there are actually three of them (Blue Chips 7000 seems to be the third one). That's... a lot to get through. But I'll do it. 

EDIT II: Just thought of this: did Stinger still come down from the rafters after the Owen fall? I mean, if so...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 4

On 1/11/2024 at 2:56 AM, Craig H said:

It was a Violent Gentlemen shirt being sold right after Brodie passed with proceeds going to Brodie’s family. I remember trying to buy one and they were all sold out online and I went back some months later and they were no longer being sold. It would be cool if they would sell them again.

I’ve got one, I’m a huge VG fan, I wore it to the first Grand Slam and wore it to Worlds End as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Any 65 year old man who decides he's gonna fall off a balcony in Scorpion deathdrop position holding another man with only two tables to break his fall, where he could easily smack the back of his head directly onto the floor even if the tables worked as they should, is insane. In fact anyone who does that is cuckoo, meaning most if not all wrestlers 🤪

EDIT: I got ahold of the Blue Chips tapes, there are actually three of them (Blue Chips 7000 seems to be the third one). That's... a lot to get through. But I'll do it. 

EDIT II: Just thought of this: did Stinger still come down from the rafters after the Owen fall? I mean, if so...

Don’t think so 

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Dog shit biased take man. Someone appearing for 3 minutes at the end of a show has zero bearing on the previous hour and 57 minutes rating trends. I know you know that.

Is it really too much to ask to keep takes based in logic?

When it comes to the Jackson’s, yes. 

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I feel like the obvious answer is no, but for some reason I have it in my head that he did it at least once with Bret's permission, or something - maybe my brain is confusing it with the whole trenchcoat/Columbine thing  with him from around the same time