DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Interesting that as of this second, both McCarthy and Tomlin will be going into next year on the last years of their contract. Rare for coaches to not get extended before their last year, curious to see if either do sign an extension this Spring even if its just to tack on one more year.

Bill Belichick will be having a 2nd interview with the Falcons this weekend so all signs are pointing to that being his landing spot

The Bears are interviewing Kliff Kingsbury to be OC

Oh I would be remiss to not mention that Kingsbury is currently senior offensive analyst and quarterbacks coach at USC

Insert the eye emoji here

Speaking of barely surviving...   Mike Tomlin says Kenny Pickett is Pittsburgh's QB1. 

However... they will "bring in competition" next season.  And that they want Mason Rudolph back (which of course means, 'Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Mase').

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Speaking of barely surviving...   Mike Tomlin says Kenny Pickett is Pittsburgh's QB1. 

However... they will "bring in competition" next season.  And that they want Mason Rudolph back (which of course means, 'Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Mase').

As he should be, Pickett was playing better after Canada was fired and before the injury. Art Rooney II really needs to open the checkbook up(which is hard for him to do) and hire a legit O coordinator and QB coach.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

As he should be, Pickett was playing better after Canada was fired and before the injury. Art Rooney II really needs to open the checkbook up(which is hard for him to do) and hire a legit O coordinator and QB coach.

He played less than a game and a half after Canada was fired. Threw no touchdowns in the full game, but did reach 278 yards, with the team scoring 16 points. Threw none in the partial game but he only threw 10 passes. 

So, perhaps, "better" but only because the bar was so low. 

The offense definitely had more life after the firing of Canada, and especially under Rudolph, but I'd say if you bring back Kenny, he's got to be on a really short leash. 

23 hours ago, Raziel said:

Somehow it looks like Siranni is surviving, but Johnson and Patrisha are likely toast.

Considering how horrendously awful Johnson's first NFL season as an OC went, it's pretty funny how obvious it is that all these head coaching interviews he's getting are just Rooney Rule satisfiers...

10 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Tomlin I don't think has ever went outside his current staff to hire a coordinator. He also often hires guys most other NFL teams aren't particularly interested in to fill out his staff. He might need to step outside that comfort zone and get a true fresh voice in the locker room.

I saw a thing about the massive haul the Dolphins got out of all the players directly and indirectly from the Laremy Tunsil trade with Houston and it included Waddle, Tyreek and a bunch of other good to great players and the Texans got totally fleeced and yet the Texans have won multiple playoff games before the Dolphins. Crazy league 

7 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

I saw a thing about the massive haul the Dolphins got out of all the players directly and indirectly from the Laremy Tunsil trade with Houston and it included Waddle, Tyreek and a bunch of other good to great players and the Texans got totally fleeced and yet the Texans have won multiple playoff games before the Dolphins. Crazy league 

That trade was terrible, but at least Tunsil has been really good to great ever since. Takes some of the sting out of it at least.

• Like 1

the Bills interim OC interviewed for the Falcons job (as the Falcons tweet all the meetings they hold)... obviously not the first time a coordinator interviewed for another job the day before a playoff game but interesting nonetheless.

Per the NFL guidelines of not having been in the playoffs for two straight years, not hiring a new head coach, and not having done the show in the last ten years, there are reportedly three teams that the NFL can force to do the preseason version of Hard Knocks if they don't get any volunteers:

The Bears, the Broncos, and the Saints.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/19/bears-are-1-of-3-teams-eligible-for-hard-knocks-in-2024/

15 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Per the NFL guidelines of not having been in the playoffs for two straight years, not hiring a new head coach, and not having done the show in the last ten years, there are reportedly three teams that the NFL can force to do the preseason version of Hard Knocks if they don't get any volunteers:

The Bears, the Broncos, and the Saints.

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2024/01/19/bears-are-1-of-3-teams-eligible-for-hard-knocks-in-2024/

I don't watch Hard Knocks but I definitely vote for the Broncos, that sounds the most funny.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I don't watch Hard Knocks but I definitely vote for the Broncos, that sounds the most funny.

As a lover of chaos, as a hater of the idea that teams can be forced to do Hard Knocks, and as someone who relishes any black eye on the league's image/marketing strategy, the Broncos are definitely the best option due the puncher's chance Sean Payton will get caught doing something incriminating on camera that causes the league to abruptly pull the show from the air to protect itself.  Another bountygate?  More shady shit like benching Russel Wilson to sabotage his incentives/guaranteed money that'll piss off the Players Union (or at least, would piss off the Player's Union if it had any guts)?  Why not both?

• Haha 1