DVDVR Message Board

2024 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The Simpsons should have ended 25 years ago.

Though I suppose at least now he actually sounds 100+ years old.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EVA said:

Following the lead of their fellow legendary fiction adapters, Weiss and Benioff, by going off-book, baby. What could go wrong.

I mean,  I guess the worst that could happen is Blackthorn becoming Shogun...

11 hours ago, Raziel said:

I mean,  I guess the worst that could happen is Blackthorn becoming Shogun...

That was the feeling I had from the very first episode.

I think the biggest question I have is just how is FX able to afford this. Shogun is maybe the best looking tv series I’ve ever seen. It has to be outrageously expensive.

No, wait, that’s not my biggest question. My biggest question is…

WHERE IN THE FUCKING FUCK IS THE GREENLIGHT FOR ONE MORE SEASON OF JUSTIFIED?!

Me and some friends got in a conversation about movies and shows that our parents inspired us to like as a kid, and I was reminded of stuff I haven't thought of in years. Moonlighting. Designing Women. Murphy Brown. Thirysomething. St. Elsewhere. St. Elsewhere is where I learned what it's like to have a heart attack and die in a hospital! They stuck a needle in that fat man's chest the length of a butcher knife.

• Like 1

So for know reason I asked myself "I wonder what Bonnie Franklin is upto?"

Turns out, not much since she died in 2013. I've since been listening to "This Is It" (the theme to "One Day At A Time") for like 25 minutes. That is a damn catchy song!

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.H. said:

So for know reason I asked myself "I wonder what Bonnie Franklin is upto?"

Turns out, not much since she died in 2013. I've since been listening to "This Is It" (the theme to "One Day At A Time") for like 25 minutes. That is a damn catchy song!

James

I learned recently I’d been hearing some of those lyrics wrong for 40 years.

Posted (edited)

Not knowing off the top of my head,I wonder what the cast was in the final season. IIRC, Levitt had made detective by then. 

the opening credits are Barney, Wojo, Harris, Dietrich and Levitt. I had thought Landesburg left the show before the end. Guess not. 

Edited by odessasteps

During that time I was an avid watcher of MASH, Taxi, Happy Days, The Jefferson's, One Day At A Time and Threes Company, but Barney was somehow off of my radar.

• Like 1

I think between live and reruns, there are prob few comedies I didn’t watch at the time. My dad, to my memory, rarely watched the prime time dramas,I think, except Falcon crest. I don’t remember him watching, say, Dallas or Knots Landing or Dynasty. 

Around that time I was at my dad's on Wednesday's and weekends and I have a weird memory of seeing an episode of Cliffhangers after watching a first season episode of The Facts of Life.

They found a guy to play Paulie in Jack Reacher season 3. Paulie being a character in the books who is much taller and bigger than Jack Reacgher, outweighing him by 200 lbs. It's Olivier Richters:

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 6:27 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

My guy thought he was on Family Feud. 

• Like 1

I finished House of Cards last week, after a 2 week or so binge. Kevin Spacey might be a piece of shit but he made that entire show. It really sucked once he left and it was just Robin Wright. Not her fault, she’s fantastic as well, but the whole show was just obviously anchored around Frank and it suffered as a result of Spacey’s personal life. And that last scene, whaaaaat the fuck?

So now I’ve switched genres completely, and I’m watching New Amsterdam. These NBC shows, like SVU especially, are straight up comfort food for me and I don’t know why. Not Fox shows, or ABC, or CBS. Something about dramas on NBC just hit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Log said:

Finished Ripley last night. Holy shit, one of the best-shot series I've ever seen. Just gorgeous. Loved everything about it.

Finished it over the weekend. Totally agree, it felt like you were looking at a masterpiece. Found myself looking up flights to Rome, Palermo and Naples afterwards.

• Like 1