DVDVR Message Board

2024 VIDEO GAMES CATCH ALL THREAD

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Microsoft is laying over around 1900 employees in the video games with several of them being from Activision Blizzard

It is such a cluster that employees are texting Jason Schreier to see if they still have a job or not

EDIT

Apparently Xbox laid off its entire physical games division, so those rumors about Xbox going all digital and the next console not even having an optical drive are probably true.  I’m not opposed to digital gaming - I usually buy digital first, then go back and pick up a retail edition if I like the game - but I am not particularly excited to be forced into an all-digital future either. Sony and Nintendo are probably going to be slower to embrace digital exclusivity, so the end result will probably be me giving more money to them going forward.

Sony and Nintendo also have larger install bases, so it makes more sense for publishers to keep releasing physical editions on those platforms. A Best Buy employee recently told me Xbox retail games mostly sit around at his store, with PS & Switch physical editions outselling Xbox by 20:1 or so.  Not idea if that’s true at other stores, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I have always been more of a physical media guy as I rarely re-play games so I like to trade them in (got over $400 in credits at eStarland in the last month), but since I buy multiple consoles I don't mind the xbox being my "GamePass Machine" (which it is now) and the PlayStation being the higher powered physical media machine. So hopefully all three don't go in that direction or I'll be a sad panda.

50 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I will be honest I think the last game I bought a physical copy of was Skyrim. There are a few really cool collector's editions out there but they tend to be priced to the moon, so

I prob would have bought a physical copy of Starfield if I had a series X and nit got it for pc. 

I’m starting to think about whether or not I need to keep buying new consoles.  I am increasingly out of touch with the current gaming scene and don’t follow the trends all that closely anymore. Last year was an objectively great year for new releases, but I had little interest in most of the big hits and GotY candidates. I bought more games for seven different retro consoles (Wii U and earlier) than I did for Switch and new PlayStation/Xbox titles were barely on my radar.  Realistically, I’ve got more games on my retro wantlists than I’ll ever have time to play, so subscription services and digital consoles might be enough to dissuade me from buying a PS6 or whatever. 

Currently playing Half-Life 2 on the original Xbox. My playlist for the next several months is basically GameCube, Wii, and Og Xbox titles. When I finish Half-Life, I’ll probably dive into Epic Mickey or the GameCube’s Resident Evil remake.  Lies of P might be the only newish title I play between now and early Summer.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:17 PM, Kang said:

I prefer 80s to 00's video games; the industry gets slowly worse over the next few decades after those decades.

Nowadays I look for spiritual successors. Few in the vein of Castlevania are coming out soon

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2024/01/8-bit-parody-the-transylvania-adventure-of-simon-quest-comes-to-switch-in-2025

For me I think early-mid 90s was the sweet spot where the technology was there to do bigger things but there were still constraints.  Within like 3 years we got Link to the Past, Super Metroid, X-COM, Sim City 2000, Final Fantasy VI, Doom, Syndicate, TIE Fighter, Warcraft, &c, &c.

The one are where I think modern games kick the shit out of older ones is in not being, like, actively hostile to the player.  I like tutorials and maps and quest lists.

• Like 1

I too have a stack of AAA games unplayed as I'm currently going through FF16 (borrowed a copy from a friend who got the collector's edition). I find it easier to play the indie or semi indie games which are shorter and less of a time commitment. But my current unplayed physical copy list is:

Ghosts of Tsushima

Nier Automata

FF7 Remake

Miles Morales

Sekrio

Borderlands 3

These were all purchased on sale because how can I pass up a deal on a physical copy.

Not to mention the digital stuff I have (hello both Horizon games). But did I knock out Trek to Yomi? Yup (only 8 hours of play time)! How about Midnight Fight Express? Yup! TMNT Shredder's Revenge? Yup! FF8 remaster? My traditional birthday week off in 2022! Raji? Had some virus thing that knocked me out for the weekend! Star Wars Republic Commando? Easy peasy! Will I fire up Streets of Rage 4 and play survival mode for an hour or so? Of course. Tetris Effect? You know it. Sink 100+ hours into WWE2K23? Light work.

I just want something that won't be a big time sink most of the time and my most played games reflect that. I do occasionally enjoy the big time sink game (hell I had 200+ hours on Witcher 3 in 2020) but not all the time and I'm a single guy with no kids!

On 1/26/2024 at 8:41 AM, Villanova Grad said:

Apparently Xbox laid off its entire physical games division, so those rumors about Xbox going all digital and the next console not even having an optical drive are probably true.  I’m not opposed to digital gaming - I usually buy digital first, then go back and pick up a retail edition if I like the game - but I am not particularly excited to be forced into an all-digital future either. Sony and Nintendo are probably going to be slower to embrace digital exclusivity, so the end result will probably be me giving more money to them going forward.

Sony and Nintendo also have larger install bases, so it makes more sense for publishers to keep releasing physical editions on those platforms. A Best Buy employee recently told me Xbox retail games mostly sit around at his store, with PS & Switch physical editions outselling Xbox by 20:1 or so.  Not idea if that’s true at other stores, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Damn near every Pokemon game on, let's say the DS, runs for $80-$150 complete despite selling tens of millions of copies. I think Smash Bros Melee was the best selling Gamecube game ever and it still runs $80ish bucks.

You take that away from me and I stop buying your games, period. I buy something, I own it. I can sell it. It becomes part of my personal worth. I understand that there's a different strategy of discounting the shit out of older games in Western franchises or selling games as a service, and these companies have the right to do things this way if the market is buying... look, I understand if you want to download Madden or Call of Duty or something that will cost 5 dollar in 5 years. But gamers willingly buying into a system that literally takes money out of their hands has never made sense to me. 

• Like 1

Unsurprisingly, the new Like a Dragon is hitting all my buttons. I'm mildly annoyed that apparently NONE of the romance subplots from 7 are canon, but I'm having so much fun. I can't wait to get to the western side of town and find out if the gunsmith called Bullet Hell in English has that name in Japanese or is called Danmaku.

• Like 3

Finally grabbed a PS5, got the Spider-Man 2 bundle.  Direct from Sony...

Of course it's missing the fucking voucher.  So now, let's see if Sony does anything about it.  I'm not hopeful.

There was some executive at Ubisoft who very recently was quoted as saying that "people need to get used to not owning the games they pay for", which is just laughably evil to a comic book villain degree.

Anyway, Skull & Bones releases soon so there's going to be even more cuts and layoffs in the industry soon, AAA is going well.

So uh, Enshrouded rules. Even with quest progress being tied to the server and not the player, there’s still plenty to do if you happen to miss out on a quest of your friends do it without you. 4 of us were on the other night and having a good time where one of us would venture out into a shroud, die, someone else would come rescue him, they’d both die, then eventually we’re all there trying to kill some stuff that’s probably a level or two higher than us. Lots of laughing and making progress and then back to gathering materials, building stuff, etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Death From Above said:

There was some executive at Ubisoft who very recently was quoted as saying that "people need to get used to not owning the games they pay for", which is just laughably evil to a comic book villain degree.

Anyway, Skull & Bones releases soon so there's going to be even more cuts and layoffs in the industry soon, AAA is going well.

Skull & Bones is one of those always online bullshit games where in a few years it'll get shut down. The Platinum will be pure torture to do in time and the game will pretty much be a $70 drink coaster.

Even if you don't care about the Platinum trophy, just the simple act of playing the game will be impossible at that point.

Edited by Andrew POE!

I really do like Metroid: Samus Returns, but I really do not like the 3DS, which has a weak analog stick. I'd prefer to move Samus with the pad, but I can't reassign her movement to it because it already has a function. I don't like the 3DS pad much, either, but it's better than the analog stick. This is another 3DS game that I wish got a Switch re-release so that I could play it with a Pro controller. Maybe it'll happen for Switch 2. 

On another note, Emergency Meeting finally came out on Switch, so I fired up Vampire Survivors again. The Emergency Meeting weapons are real powerhouses, especially if you play to use multiple of them and to evolve them all. The adventure stuff is cool, and I'm working through that as well. This has to be one of the best games at giving you a lot of quality gameplay for the least amount of money in the history of video games. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2024 at 7:44 AM, RIPPA said:

Just because I wanted to put a bow on it - The Day Before is officially dead as the servers were turned off today.

So that is 45 days from start to finish in Early Access and all the nonsense that came with it

The Day Before - A Scam to Remember

https://youtu.be/tdQXfXm8rjg?si=mUTh6PDdjVmpVhjX

On 1/31/2024 at 3:03 AM, Death From Above said:

You really do need to get a bit creative with some of the adventures, especially right out of the gate where you have limited options.

Yeah, that first adventure, the garlic one, had me trying to evolve the whip and Vento Sacto into the Fuwalafuwaloo in the third level, where it's really challenging not to die because of the limited options, and it took me about eight attempts to find the secret sauce that made it happen. It felt really good to solve it. I do like that if I want to just kill a hundred thousand enemies by overpowering myself, there's the base game, but if I want that challenge from the early game back, the adventures are there for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:41 PM, RIPPA said:

This is pretty close to being as big a shitshow as Curt Schilling’s foray into video games. Curt still takes the cake as biggest scumbag for essentially stealing a bunch of money from RI, talking shit about government handouts and welfare, stiffing employees on paychecks and overtime, then shuttering the studio without paying a ton of people their backpay and keeping the money RI gave him.

• Like 1

Also, Enshrouded still rules so hard. If they can make enough money to get their own servers for players to play on then that would be awesome.

A lot of talk online from leakers that Xbox is about to go multi-platform with their first party games, like Starfield after the Shattered Space DLC releases, and possibly Blade & Indiana Jones. It’s already been leaked that Hi-Fi Rush is coming to Switch and PS5.

Tom Henderson is one of the people claiming all of this, and Insider Gaming isn’t known for pushing bullshit. The Verge is reporting it, too.