DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JANUARY 2024

9 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

You jest, but I am completely, unironically in for all of that 100%! I honestly wish I threw Platinum Satnum on my list earlier now. Danielson could pinball around for him for a bit, build the whole thing around being "the first" to take Singh off his feet - dropkick him or chop him down for a huge pop, get a few spots in with Sanjay, Lethal, and Double J while Singh sells being down for the first time. It doesn't have to be anything long or crazy. I could totally see this on TV

My viewership/attention was spotty most of the time they would have overlapped- did Danielson ever wrestle The Great Khali at WWE??

No, I was serious when I daydreamed Danielson working locks and holds all over the body of Big Singher. As a high voter on Roddy, I want a lengthy Danielson classic on this run. Isn't the deal that Bryan goes part time/occasional after August/September? Seems as if the Dreams of matches can continue for years and years to come.

• Like 1

Really weird that they’re bringing in all those luchadores and running them on Rampage when Collision is like 10 miles from the Rio Grande the next night. Also weird that they ran Komander-OC in Bossier City instead of waiting a week for Edinburg and a “hometown” region ticket bump. Reynosa is 25 miles from Edinburg, and that area around McAllen/Mission/Edinburg/Hidalgo is densely populated.

• Like 4

Something I never thought to ask about: Why all the gambling references in the titles? Does Tony like to hit Caesar's Palace and dump some of dad's money into their coffers every once in awhile? It definitely works, but it's pretty single minded. About the only 'different' title I can think of is Winter Is Coming, or Battle of the Belts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

Really weird that they’re bringing in all those luchadores and running them on Rampage when Collision is like 10 miles from the Rio Grande the next night. Also weird that they ran Komander-OC in Bossier City instead of waiting a week for Edinburg and a “hometown” region ticket bump. Reynosa is 25 miles from Edinburg, and that area around McAllen/Mission/Edinburg/Hidalgo is densely populated.

I thought this too. Maybe it was a booking issue? The luchadores might have had existing Saturday night bookings and logistically it was easier to get them in on the Wednesday taping.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think either Wed or Thur was the best time to try and book someone from CMLL in the US back in the day.

Yeah in my head I still figure that top lucha guys usually have 3-4 bookings each weekend. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Something I never thought to ask about: Why all the gambling references in the titles? Does Tony like to hit Caesar's Palace and dump some of dad's money into their coffers every once in awhile? It definitely works, but it's pretty single minded. About the only 'different' title I can think of is Winter Is Coming, or Battle of the Belts.

I always assumed it was just cause AEW was as born out of the original All In event and they all just kept the theme for everything 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, the founding myth of AEW is that The Elite bet on themselves. So the gambling metaphors were a big thing early on. 

In 2024, it does feel a little… off?.. that some AEW things are locked in as permanent features because they were popular for a few weeks with 2019 BTE viewers. Like they have one of their big 4 PPVs named after the Bucks thinking it was funny that Pac showed up to a press conference dressed to wrestle.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, the founding myth of AEW is that The Elite bet on themselves. So the gambling metaphors were a big thing early on. 

In 2024, it does feel a little… off?.. that some AEW things are locked in as permanent features because they were popular for a few weeks with 2019 BTE viewers. Like they have one of their big 4 PPVs named after the Bucks thinking it was funny that Pac showed up to a press conference dressed to wrestle.

Full Gear was named after a BTE segment involving Hangman.

I guess yeah it was also a joke about PAC, but the Full Gear episode spawned the Full Gear Challenge and all of that shit.

Edited by Casey

Ricky Starks, on a pod called Gabby AF, shares who he goes to for advice:

"I talk to Cody Rhodes. I don't have anybody in the back to talk to." 

While he claims that he has nobody else to go to for advice in AEW, he then recalled that he does approach Bryan Danielson from time to time. "Yeah, the other person that I talk to when I can is Bryan, but that's not that often. But I don't really have anyone that I talk to, or can go to for advice back there. It is what it is," stated Starks.

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Ricky Starks, on a pod called Gabby AF, shares who he goes to for advice:

That says alot about Ricky if after 3/4 years in the company, he hasn't built relationships.

• Like 5

There's alot of "veteran presence" backstage in AEW. Dustin. Taz. Jerry Lynn. Dean Malenko. Jake Roberts. The fact Ricky "doesn't have anyone in the back to talk to" isn't because the people and resources aren't available to him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Infinit said:

There's alot of "veteran presence" backstage in AEW. Dustin. Taz. Jerry Lynn. Dean Malenko. Jake Roberts. The fact Ricky "doesn't have anyone in the back to talk to" isn't because the people and resources aren't available to him.

If he says he has nobody he can go to for advice, that doesn't mean he hasn't tried. Are those folks available all the time (clearly Danielson isn't)? Are they willing? If he talks to Cody you don't think he can talk to Dustin? Assuming that it's because Ricky is a malcontent or something seems like a stretch to me, unless I'm missing other reports about him

37 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I do wonder how much about that is a bit of a generational gap. I've heard Dutch say on his pod that Tully mentioned something about the younger guys rarely coming to him and Arn for advice, but the counterpoint to that was Taz tweeting a reply that he gives advice to the newer kids every single day.

Is it simply a matter of having a roster of younger guys in their 20s/30s/early 40s, who grew up watching ECW and ROH as opposed to Crockett? Not putting down the older vets whatsoever, but I could see the idea of wanting to seek advice from those one personally revered as a fan before breaking in - so if you're a guy my age / the Bucks age/ Ricky's age give or take, a tip might "mean more" coming from a guy like Taz or Danielson whom we got to watch the runs of live, as opposed to maybe some Brainbusters stuff that got thrown in the VCR or YouTubed a bit later on once they committed themselves to the path. I could be way off, but I can't fathom any other reason Ricky and others wouldn't utilize those resources. Not saying it's the move I would personally make, or that that later stuff is necessarily better in any way, I'm just struggling to get why this would be happening.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

There are alot of in ring vets too, though. Joe. Roddy. Eddie Kingston. Claudio. Sting. The Hardys. Christian. I'm not saying Ricky is a bad guy, and I haven't heard the pod so I don't know his tone when he said it, but at face value there looks to be alot of people one could lean on backstage in AEW. 

• Like 1

Something interesting from the Observer Radio after Collision is Dave saying Black and Matthews are likely WWE bound when they're done with AEW. I'm not a huge HoB fan. I like Julia and King but Black and Matthews aren't my favorites. I'd love to see King get a big push. 

• Like 1

Ricky Starks is a fan of 1940s French Catch and knew that Fred Beel invented the Beel throw, I think he’s aware of Wrestling history. 

(Or possibly he lurks here. Hi Ricky! Big fan BTW)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1