DVDVR Message Board

King of the Hill is the best animated show ever

Fat Spanish Waiter

There was a time when I thought that the weekly villains tended to be too one-dimensional...sort of letting Hank off the hook by pitting him against the most absurdly evil bureaucrats, evil educators, gun nuts, fundamentalists, "liberal elites" or whatever...

But looking back on it from the perspective of today, it was just prescient.  We grew into it.

Dissenting opinion: It ran too long and was too slice of life to be as devoted to status quo as it was. The lack of character growth becomes obnoxious after a while, in particular with Karma Houdini Peggy, who i consider to be nothing less than the most unlikeable character in the history of the medium of television.

• Like 3

Connie getting her period may be the very best episode of the entire series. It's strong in both main plot and side plot. And nearly every single line is capable of getting a laugh. I'm not exaggerating. Me and my wife die laughing every time we see it. I wish it was back on Netflix because we were kicking.

Dissenting opinion: It ran too long and was too slice of life to be as devoted to status quo as it was. The lack of character growth becomes obnoxious after a while, in particular with Karma Houdini Peggy, who i consider to be nothing less than the most unlikeable character in the history of the medium of television.

It has more character growth than any other animated show, but the point about Peggy is fair.

She did break her back falling out of a plane though. And there was the child aduction.

I'll admit it. I am not a fan of King of the Hill. I appreciate it. I think it's generally well executed satire. I can definitely go for an episode now and again but I wouldn't want to watch a lot of it. It's a smart show about dumb people, basically. Hank is sort of like the one-eyed man in the land of the blind. It deals with a part of America that I basically never interact with in my daily life and I'd really never want to. It has this ethos that's extremely deconstructionist and often quite cynical, both to things I sort of value and things I revile, while building up these very simple pleasures that I can't relate to at all. 

I can watch a couple a year and really enjoy them, but if I try to do more than that, it wears out its welcome quickly for me.

• Like 1

I will hear no arguments.

So you basically started this thread only to hear us say "You're right," "I agree," "It sure is," and "Damn straight!" 

Too many episodes relied on the plotline of "Peggy/Bobby/LuAnne makes some lifestyle decision that Hank strongly disapproves of but he slowly comes to accept."

I will say without spoiling it, it does feature the greatest voiceover by a wrestler ever.  Never heard it coming when it happened.

It deals with a part of America that I basically never interact with in my daily life and I'd really never want to. It has this ethos that's extremely deconstructionist and often quite cynical, both to things I sort of value and things I revile, while building up these very simple pleasures that I can't relate to at all.

Approximately 125 million people live in or around the country's top 20 metro areas.  You've just eliminated around 62% of Americans as possible associates simply because of where they live.

Your snark is commendable. However, the idea of disliking an area and, perhaps by unintentional extension, its people says nothing about them.

I actually have only a vague idea about what you were implying that I was implying there, but I had to get the snarky comment out and let it sit for a moment before I went back and questioned you about it. The appreciation is appreciated.

Now then, If we're going to make horrible assumptions about me, I'd much rather you make them about a north/south divide as opposed to a metro/rural one.