DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

3 hours ago, dogwelder said:

USC was punished more harshly by the NCAA for Bush getting money from an agent than UNC did for systematic academic fraud and Penn State for covering up children being raped in the locker rooms.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'll just hazard a guess that someone over there finally realized they'd taken away Reggie's trophy for *whatever the fuck it was* and they literally tweeted their condolences to a guy who probably killed his ex-wife and her boyfriend.

One, I don't think anyone should follow NCAA rules, break all of them.  Second, Reggie Bush is on the list of most exciting college football players ever.  If you don't think he's #1, I'm not going to argue with you, but if you're making a list and he's not in consideration for #1, you are dead ass wrong.  Taking his Heisman was bullshit then, now, and forever.  He's the exact type of player who the Heisman was made for.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

One, I don't think anyone should follow NCAA rules, break all of them.  Second, Reggie Bush is on the list of most exciting college football players ever.  If you don't think he's #1, I'm not going to argue with you, but if you're making a list and he's not in consideration for #1, you are dead ass wrong.  Taking his Heisman was bullshit then, now, and forever.  He's the exact type of player who the Heisman was made for.

On one hand, I never thought he should've gotten that Heisman (also, though Bush was incredible, Young was not only better that year, but also, imo, more exciting.)

But taking it away because somebody bought his mom a house or whatever was such incredibly stupid bullshit.

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

On one hand, I never thought he should've gotten that Heisman (also, though Bush was incredible, Young was not only better that year, but also, imo, more exciting.)

But taking it away because somebody bought his mom a house or whatever was such incredibly stupid bullshit.

Reggie won the battle, Vince won the war.  I honestly wouldn't change how that played out at all.  Vince Young should have an effigy of a fallen USC Trojan in his house.  That National Championship game is a top-5 all-time sporting event for me.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

Reggie won the battle, Vince won the war.  I honestly wouldn't change how that played out at all.  Vince Young should have an effigy of a fallen USC Trojan in his house.  That National Championship game is a top-5 all-time sporting event for me.

FWIW, before the title game I said something to the effect of "both of them are deserving, but I would vote for Young"

On 4/25/2024 at 10:43 AM, supremebve said:

As a Michigan fan, I got to see a preview of that performance the year before. Just picture 3-1/2 hours of me yelling, "WHY AREN'T THEY TACKLING THAT GUY???" He was on another planet as a college player. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

As a Michigan fan, I got to see a preview of that performance the year before. Just picture 3-1/2 hours of me yelling, "WHY AREN'T THEY TACKLING THAT GUY???" He was on another planet as a college player. 

Ain't that the truth. Steve Breston and Braylon Edwards both had legit great games, and it just didn't matter because Vince Young got dressed in a phone booth (and one of the ugliest game winning field goals you'll ever see.)

• Like 1

Brian Kelly decided he should come out and tell people he never considered taking the Michigan job after Harbaugh left.  That's OK, Brian, you were never in the running.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What happens when you put a furry in charge of your art and no one double checks their work?

... when you see it.  👟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Auburn running back Brian Battie is in critical condition following a shooting in his hometown of Sarasota, Florida on Saturday that took the life of Battie's brother, 24-year-old Tommie Battie.

Auburn coach Hugh Freeze asked for prayers for Battie on his social media account Monday. Freeze said there was a setback Sunday and that Battie remains on a ventilator.

The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office released a statement over the weekend that it was investigating a shooting that occurred in the 3400 block of 17th Street early Saturday morning.

Deputies initially responded to the Tallywood Centre Plaza at approximately 3:30 a.m. where they observed a large crowd with multiple shooting victims in the parking lot. One victim, Tommie L. Battie IV (10/3/1999), was pronounced deceased at the scene. Four additional victims were transported to local hospitals in both Manatee and Sarasota counties.

Auburn's only official statement to this point is that the school is aware of the incident and still gathering information.

Battie, who started his career at South Florida, was Auburn's top kick returner last season and also rushed for 227 yards as a running back.

Shilo Sanders has filed for bankruptcy. He owes $12m for breaking a security guard's neck in an assault he committed in 2015. Not sure why Shilo would be on the hook for that instead of Deion since Shilo was a minor at the time. 

46 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Shilo Sanders has filed for bankruptcy. He owes $12m for breaking a security guard's neck in an assault he committed in 2015. Not sure why Shilo would be on the hook for that instead of Deion since Shilo was a minor at the time. 

Parental civil liability ends once the child becomes of majority. Shilo turns 18, Shilo owes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Parental civil liability ends once the child becomes of majority. Shilo turns 18, Shilo owes.

Even when the incident occurs when the person is a minor? 

49 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Even when the incident occurs when the person is a minor? 

Again, parental civil liability ends when the child becomes of majority. The time in which the incident took place does not matter. The moment Shilo turned 18 (or whenever majority is in his state; in some it's 21), he owes for his own issues, as evidenced by the court allowing the case to go forward solely against Shilo and not including Deion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

H E B Presents University of Texas Football!

Your Southeast Michigan Ford Dealers present your National Champion Michigan Wolverines! Ford drives Ann Arbor.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Haha 2

They also just got rid of the rule for transfers requiring players to sit for a year. And are awarding more eligibility to some players. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2024 at 2:53 PM, Tabe said:

They also just got rid of the rule for transfers requiring players to sit for a year. And are awarding more eligibility to some players. 

Dilfer was on Mac and Cube in Bham a few weeks ago and mentioned that there are some West Coast venture capitalists that want to buy and own some of these college brands. They're just waiting for the opening to do it. With all of these changes, the inevitable super conference, and wild west mentality, this feels like an inevitability within 3-5 years if not sooner. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like 1

Playoffs going until January 20th, what could go wrong?

I444PbA.jpeg

That's my snarky way of saying I'd preferred they start the playoffs in early/mid December and end it early/mid January. The risk here to me is that's a lot of time off, and of course the eternal risk of players getting itchy and jumping in the portal. Or by January 20th, players being concerned about getting injured before going to the NFL.

On the plus side, it does give time for injured players to recover, it just seems.... risky to run it that late into January.

EDIT to say - I am pro-playoff. Very happy there is a playoff. Just a little concerned about the dates.

There was an absolutely great question in Ari Wasserman's mailbag on The Athletic this week: 

Which is more likely to be replicable: Michigan winning the 2023 title with recruiting classes in the 10's, great player development and retention, a veteran roster, and key portal additions. 

Or Georgia winning the 2022 title without taking a single transfer player in either window leading up to the season.

I hope the winner is something stupid that ends up with it being named The Cheez-its Conference or some shit.

What if they all start doing this? We could get some great stuff hearing commentators say, "Ohio State is looking to extend their streak of playing in Charmin Ultra Conference Championship games to three!"

• Sad 1

Al least they’ve given up on the faux dignity and admitted they’re ready and willing to sell out to the highest bidder. 

The SEC better go with someone with an easily chantable name.  An LSU crowd ain’t gonna be able to chant Apollo Capital Management in the fourth quarter of a night game.  Maybe Bucees. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Robert C said:

Al least they’ve given up on the faux dignity and admitted they’re ready and willing to sell out to the highest bidder. 

The SEC better go with someone with an easily chantable name.  An LSU crowd ain’t gonna be able to chant Apollo Capital Management in the fourth quarter of a night game.  Maybe Bucees. 

I think the SEC and B1G would go with something like the SEC or B1G presented by Allstate. The rest of the conferences will sell out their names the Barstool Sports 12, Duke’s Mayo Coastal Conference, Fan Duel Athletic Conference and so on. 

• Haha 1