DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

11 minutes ago, EVA said:

Loving the implication that Arch is such a hardcore gamer that, if he can play as himself in the college football video game, he will care less about playing actual football.

Hilarious that someone in the Manning camp thought this would be a good thing to leak to the press. Just say you wanted more money!

That's better than saying they asked EA for more money and EA said no.

Nick Saban has done an interview where he explained his reasoning for retiring. He blamed the reaction from his players to their loss to Michigan. Said there were guys throwing helmets, etc., and he was upset by the lack of class and not by his failure to teach his players how to behave. 

He then blamed NIL and, with not even a hint of self-awareness, said "it’s all about how much money can I make as a college player". It's ok, Nick, I'm sure when you left Michigan State while under contract, or when you left LSU while still under contract, or when you left the Dolphins while still under contract, that it had nothing to do with money. 

Good lord, the hypocrisy. He should partner up Coach K and Tony Dungy and start "The Sanctimonious Gasbag Podcast". 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 4

I know you’ve always had a problem with Nick, so I’m not totally surprised, but you’re grossly misrepresenting what he actually said. His full comments are really insightful and introspective. And he *explicitly* said that he doesn’t think it’s bad or wrong that the players are focused on money. It’s right there in the text, almost verbatim what I typed.

What he’s actually getting at there is his growing realization that his approach to the college game is incompatible with the modern culture of the college game, with the Rose Bowl post-game (which I honestly don’t even remember happening to any significant degree) being one of the last strong indications that his way just wasn’t resonating as well anymore. He’s very clear that it’s just an issue that the modern game stopped being as fulfilling to him anymore, and that’s a him thing and not a negative judgment on anyone else.

Honestly, it’s just another reasons he’s the GOAT. He knew when to get out and *not* be one of these Dabo or Gary Patterson types who just complain all the time while the game passes them by.

• Like 1

Nah. "I'm not saying it's wrong (but I'm still complaining and by bringing it up I'm actually saying it's wrong.)" If he truly thought it was wrong, he'd praise the changes or not bring it up at all. And it IS hypocritical. He's a guy who has bailed on multiple contracts to make more money, forced guys out so he can violate scholarship limits, and on and on. Yeah, it's all about the team to Nick - when it suits him. I'm sure Spartans players felt the team message really resonated as they practiced for the bowl game he ditched. 

Kudos to Nick for recognizing he's too old for the modern dynamics. Seriously. 

And I agree he's the GOAT. I think he's the greatest college coach in any sport ever. The results speak for themselves. 

Edited by Tabe

It does seem from the people trying to defend Saban like Scott Van Pelt is using an argument that your emphasis on money in decisions  is dependent on your age and/or experience.  If you are a older person it is about making that money and making yourself as comfortable as possible.  But for these high school and college students, money shouldn't be a major factor in your decision.  It should be things like education and the college experience or whatever you want to call it.   It is that last grasp of thinking there is such a thing as "amateurism"  in college sports.  That is why in some people's mind that it is okay that Saban and other coaches can make 500 times more than the average professor at the school but kids should be "satisfied with what they get".  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Tully

My guess was someone very old, or someone who played at a service academy. 11 games each year, without clearing 130 attempts tells you they have not played for awhile. 

On 1/17/2024 at 11:01 PM, Brian Fowler said:

In other other news, nobody is ever going to feel sorry for Alabama, but I think Kadyn Proctor just became something like the 22nd player to hit the portal since Saban retired.

So this turned into a weird story. Proctor originally committed to Iowa (he's from Iowa) but flipped to Alabama on signing day and was a day one starter as a freshman last year. Hit the portal after Saban retired and transferred to Iowa. Just announced he was leaving Iowa and would re-enter the portal when it opens next month to return to Alabama.

There was some statements about Iowa coaches talking to him while he was at Alabama that had some tampering whispers, and now this feels than more bizarre. But one thing we know: Kadyn Proctor loves to break Hawkeye hearts.

I know Etienne just got there, but at what point does the sheer number of Georgia DUIs become a real issue?

(Not to throw stones, Michigan just lost a coach for an OWI charge.)

• 2 weeks later...

Warren Sapp is joining Deion Sanders' staff at Colorado as a "Senior Quality Control Analyst".  

You just know the Buffaloes athletic staff are just excited as hell when their statement includes the statement: "Sapp went through all of the necessary steps required of anyone who is employed at CU Boulder, including a background check."

And in other Sanders Getting His Boys Hired news, George Hegamin is the Buffs' new "director of leadership and engagement."

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just hazard a guess that someone over there finally realized they'd taken away Reggie's trophy for *whatever the fuck it was* and they literally tweeted their condolences to a guy who probably killed his ex-wife and her boyfriend.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'll just hazard a guess that someone over there finally realized they'd taken away Reggie's trophy for *whatever the fuck it was* and they literally tweeted their condolences to a guy who probably killed his ex-wife and her boyfriend.

I mean we all know who the real killer was...

You guessed it: Frank Stallone!

• Like 1