DVDVR Message Board

Survivor Series XXXVII : WarGames - 11/25/2023

Dolfan in NYC

And my final thoughts on Punk, because man this is going to take up too much oxygen:

* The dude got into at least two fights with co-workers. That’s so lame.

* He went off-script on TV because ha had boo boos about Adam Page (that alone should have benched him) and then he did so even worse in his press conference where he put Colt Cabana’s mom on blast. 

* His biggest beef were apparently with The Bucks and Omega and etc. I am not a fan of their in-ring style. But those guys have done everything outside of the corporate wrestling structure, built up a brand completely on their own, and essentially started a new national TV promotion. Want to talk about DIY punk ethos? 

* Punk got paid a lot of money to perform in the promotion they were the backbone of. Punk had creative freedom, which he abused. Then TK even gave Punk his own TV show and he flamed out on that for who knows why. 

That is not a guy who should be rewarded with a big spot in any promotion. 

The WWE has been REALLY great and for a while now. I know a lot of big wrestling fans will never like WWE, and that’s fine, different tastes. But for people who like big US mainstream wrestling — it has been awesome. The Bloodline story was awesome. They do things like have a 20-minute Raw Main Event with Chad Gable and Gunther (as good a Raw TV match as anything)or will have Ivar of the Viking team go for a multi-segment match against Kofi. The anchor of the promotion right now is arguably Rhea Ripley. Cena ate like 19 Samoan Spikes. And the main core of dudes — Sami/KO/Cody/Seth/Jey Uso/Finn/Damian Priest/Drew/Dom Mysterio— is a really weird and awesome mix, and they can all chew up TV time with good mic work and back it up with high-end matches. 

I really don’t want those guys or a lot of other people a little further down the card like Santos Escobar to get less time because of a guy who is a spoiled brat AND also does a mic work style I am completely over.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

AEW only exists as long as a TV network allows it to exist.

I understand the grander point you're trying to make but after seeing how he's run ROH it's pretty clear he'd just create Elite Club if he couldn't get legitimate TV for AEW.

Is that sustainable? For a normal person no. But TK is a billionaire. AEW will exist as long as TK wants it to exist. This is his baby. This is his first really big lone business venture. He's not pulling the plug unless it somehow drains him of a significant portion of his wealth.

We are all in agreement AEW's product is down. But they sold 80k tickets to a single event. All this doom and gloom and pontificating about a war eradicating them is crazy. Their highest paid attendance is more than TWICE the biggest paid attendance WCW ever had.

My final point is this, TNA. They've existed for 20+ years. With and without TV. If a small hillbilly carry turned semi professional Canadian carry can last two decades I think AEW's future is pretty secure.

• Like 5

So Punk was bitter because part timers got main event spots gifted to them and comes back and will most likely leapfrog deserving talents to get a top spot in Mania.

Got it.

I really enjoyed Survivor Series.  The men and womens wargames matches were good (My daughter went insane for the womens and i loved seeing her wrestling fandom continue to blossom, she LOVES Sane, Sky and Asuka, so she already has great taste) and Miz/Gunther is a match I want to see them run back.

The teased cash-in was a good segue to the Orton return and Randy is following the Billy Gunn/Al Snow "workout regimen" it seems.

The biggest positive i have for Punk being back in WWE is seeing him eat chops from Gunther.  I'm real excited for that.

• Like 1

AEW isn't going anywhere but their next TV rights deal will or at least should be the point where TK is forced to calm down on signing as many people as possible. I have zero doubt that someone in WWE or the wrestlers themselves is leaking out info that WWE is interested in signing all these free agents and pushing TK to up offers when I was more likely to sign with WWE than Will Osprey. TK will need to learn eventually building up the young guys is more cost effective than rolling Adam Copeland out. Punk is a proceed with caution type guy. Have him put shine on those that desperately need it. They will probably throw him in with Logan Paul or something 

Idea if they do a WarGames at Survivor Series for a 3rd year in a row:

A tag team Survivor Series match where they use both rings at the same time (one member of the team in one ring and the other in the other).

It would be a culture shift because the WarGames matches really didn’t have much simultaneous action so having matches in both rings at the same time could cause Kevin Dunn to Blue Screen Of Death

Also they might need a few extra tag teams if the match is 4 tag teams vs 4 tag teams

F4wonline.com:

During a media interview to promote AEW All In 2024 tickets going on sale, Tony Khan was asked about CM Punk's WWE return.

Steve Hermon of BBC Radio West Midlands asked Khan if he was surprised to see Punk appear at Survivor Series.

"Can't talk about that, nor do I think it's the time or the place," Khan responded. "But I appreciate you asking, and I'm very excited about AEW All In Wembley Stadium. Not to dodge or duck your question, it's just not something I can legally talk about."

---

Not surprised legality is stopping that. Guessing Punk will have to walk that line cutting promos/getting interviewed. Can see something triggering him off.

CM Punk could be the first WWE Superstar whose work in a previous promotion can’t be referred to on WWE TV for legal reasons instead of not being referred to because they don’t wanna talk about an alternate promotion.

Prepare to hear about CM Punk’s first (WWE) match in 10 years!

I'd love to see Punk do an apathy storyline and refuse to challenge Roman because "there's no point - someone will just interfere to help him win. Why bother?"

• Like 2

Oh, I have no doubt he will be.  It just rings hollow a bit to me, my feelings on him aside, that one of his chief complaints was people coming back and getting to jump over deserving talent for main event spots, and here he is doing the same thing.

Disdain for Punk aside, there are some matches im looking forward to watching Gunther/Dragunov/Dijak/Gable/Gulak/Dempsey/Hayes/Dunne/Balor, etc, etc.  I'm still a wrestling fan even if i wish this dude would just go away.

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

I'd love to see Punk do an apathy storyline and refuse to challenge Roman because "there's no point - someone will just interfere to help him win. Why bother?"

“I was the World Champ for 434 days, it’s boring, I’d rather feud with Dragon Lee”

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Oh, I have no doubt he will be.  It just rings hollow a bit to me, my feelings on him aside, that one of his chief complaints was people coming back and getting to jump over deserving talent for main event spots, and here he is doing the same thing.

The simple flip to this is "2023 CM Punk deserves to be in that role".   Whether you believe that to be kayfabe or reality is entirely up to you. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

The biggest positive i have for Punk being back in WWE is seeing him eat chops from Gunther.  I'm real excited for that.

You now have given me one more thing I would actually like to see Punk do. Gunther murdering Punk as an IC defense at Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania would be great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Idea if they do a WarGames at Survivor Series for a 3rd year in a row:

A tag team Survivor Series match where they use both rings at the same time (one member of the team in one ring and the other in the other).

It would be a culture shift because the WarGames matches really didn’t have much simultaneous action so having matches in both rings at the same time could cause Kevin Dunn to Blue Screen Of Death

Also they might need a few extra tag teams if the match is 4 tag teams vs 4 tag teams

I thought it was weird they had 2 refs for wargames.

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

You now have given me one more thing I would actually like to see Punk do. Gunther murdering Punk as an IC defense at Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania would be great.

My buddy and I were talking about whether Punk would be rushing to take a Gunther chop, and all you need to say to him is "Bret would do it"

Obviously tongue in cheek, because while i think Punk is a shitbag and not nearly as good as he thinks in-ring, the guy does have good matches.

Also, in all of my dream matches for him, most of them hit harder than the norm.  If i have to suffer through Punk, ill at least be entertained by it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Serious Darius Bagfelt said:

Finally watching the whole card. God bless The Miz for making me give a shit about a match that looked like a joke the second they booked it

27 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I thought the same thing and went from "Why?" to "I hope they run this back"

I was actually excited. Miz has actually stepped it up the past six months or so for a decent amount of his matches. The 4-way to decide to spot to face Gunther here was really good, and Miz was the standout of the match. Miz's matches with Ricochet, Seth, and Ivar were all also shockingly good. 

• Like 1

Wasn’t Punk getting boo boos because he couldn’t main event WM but The Miz did? The Miz is a pretty remarkable WWE performer and also a very solid wrestler who does absolutely anything needed and works to get everything he can over. Or he makes others go above and beyond to cement their spot — LA Knight. He is a PROFESSIONAL and the kind of performer who should get big spots.

• Like 6