DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

Good hire for Michigan but I have to wonder why he was even available. Regardless, if he recognizes that Michigan has two incredibly athletic tight ends that cannot be covered and, ya know, uses them, he'll be miles ahead of Al.

Mutual parting of ways between Saban and him. This has been in the works since before the bowl game. Nuss was brought in specifically to develop AJ as a quarterback and the downfield passing attack, and to those ends, I'd say he was successful. However, it was often clear that he and Saban weren't on the same page philosophically, and it was just never going to last. There have been certain games over the past two years (vs. Georgia last year, vs. LSU this year, as examples )where the offense was so radically different after halftime, it was obvious Saban had wrung Nuss's neck and probably threatened to fire him on the spot if he didn't start running the ball.

Now, with AJ on his way to the NFL and a new QB who's likely going to need a lot of babying next season, it just made sense to part ways now.

As far as his ability to utilize incredible tightends effectively...well...I'd say he underutilized OJ Howard pretty much all year. 0 catches against Oklahoma in the bowl game.

Remember the days when the play-action roll out pass to the tight end was more or less the foundation of Michigan's entire offense?

Remember the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP that came out of those days?

*sigh*

Co-National Championship.

• Like 1

Remember the days when the play-action roll out pass to the tight end was more or less the foundation of Michigan's entire offense?

*sigh*

My monitor must have went out on the other team,

*sigh*

:D

lol, it's ok, that other team is a big piece of shit anyway.

:'(

*sigh*

That "other" team was only unbeaten because Big 12 officials ignored that the miracle against Missouri was actually illegal (balls kicked into the air can't be caught by teammates).

Good hire for Michigan but I have to wonder why he was even available. Regardless, if he recognizes that Michigan has two incredibly athletic tight ends that cannot be covered and, ya know, uses them, he'll be miles ahead of Al.

Mutual parting of ways between Saban and him. This has been in the works since before the bowl game. Nuss was brought in specifically to develop AJ as a quarterback and the downfield passing attack, and to those ends, I'd say he was successful. However, it was often clear that he and Saban weren't on the same page philosophically, and it was just never going to last. There have been certain games over the past two years (vs. Georgia last year, vs. LSU this year, as examples )where the offense was so radically different after halftime, it was obvious Saban had wrung Nuss's neck and probably threatened to fire him on the spot if he didn't start running the ball.

Now, with AJ on his way to the NFL and a new QB who's likely going to need a lot of babying next season, it just made sense to part ways now.

As far as his ability to utilize incredible tightends effectively...well...I'd say he underutilized OJ Howard pretty much all year. 0 catches against Oklahoma in the bowl game.

I found his playcalling near the end of the Iron Bowl pretty bad, personally. Especially on the next to last drive when Auburn was selling out to stop the run and they ran the same play twice, getting stuffed both times.

I didn't fault him for the Iron Bowl as much as most people, because the center play was so bad all day, but it definitely wasn't his finest moment. He probably had his two worst games at Alabama in his last two games at Alabama. Really, his last 3 games against opponents with a pulse were pretty rough.

It's been a fun ride, guys. I feel truly privileged to have lived through a new golden age of Alabama football. But it's officially over.

This is like when Saban's bud Belichick go it in his head that he could win with ANYBODY.

This is "beginning of the end" type stuff.

Someone help me pull EVA off the ledge.  He's crying ROLL TIDE 'TIL THE CASKET DROPS and all that.  We can't let one of our own go down like this!

If Kiffin was being hired as Alabama's HC, there would be reason for concern.  But as OC, where his interaction with the media is minimal, I think he'll be OK.  He'll recruit well.  And he'll likely be gone in a couple of years after getting another HC position. I think Lane will be on his best behavior. If not, have Scott Cochran scream at him on repeat for several hours.

If Kiffin was being hired as Alabama's HC, there would be reason for concern.  But as OC, where his interaction with the media is minimal, I think he'll be OK.  He'll recruit well

YEP

Let's be realistic here - does anyone honestly think Saban is going to do something that jeopardizes his Death Star?

Yes, things went to hell at USC at the tail end of 2012 and the start of this season

Previous season, USC was tied for ninth in average total offense (6.6). Put that in perspective, it was tied with Oregon and Louisiana Tech, the latter which put up obscene offensive numbers and got Dykes and Franklin the Cal gig. "Downside" was that it was "only" 40th in scoring, as if 32.1 points is a fail

Tied for ninth and was 16th in scoring (35.8) in 2011, too

Bruce Feldman pointed out that Jonathan Crompton drastically improved at QB during his Tenny drive-by. That and, as Ms. LaRue noted,he'll be verboten to deal with the press and will learn from Saban, too

Ain't going to be too hard, either, to run 25 plays a game for Lil' Marcus Dupree next season

The thing to watch out for with Alabama's offense next season is if it joins the LUDICROUS SPEED crowd. Saban has spent most of the previous two years grousing about it, yet Joe Schad tweeted this week that Saban said he's "intrigued" by the fast-break offenses because of the hell it can cause opposing defenses. Interesting that Saban has flip-flopped. Curious if his final two games of the season changed his opinion, or if it was because he saw how the philosophy worked well for others across the country

Would be really interesting if Saban orders Kiffin to speed it up given his defensive passion. Operating at light speed would force his beloved defense to spend a lot more time on the field and perhaps tire them out. Could he live with that?

Curious stuff....