DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I know for a while, I think when McGuirk owned it, they had two crews, one northern and one southern. Maybe with those extra people, you could run smaller towns than if you had just one crew running that giant territory. 

Hell, you had to even if you dared to fine people for being late to the shows. Between all those states and only seven days a week, you couldn't criss cross a large segment of the country and not lose your shirt in travel expenses.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hell, you had to even if you dared to fine people for being late to the shows. Between all those states and only seven days a week, you couldn't criss cross a large segment of the country and not lose your shirt in travel expenses.

Prob why you had 5 guys to a car in 84 when the MX were there. And why (among other reasons) some guys bought vans. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

I could see Montreal making its way down into Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire. That's not totally surprising in the way that Georgia running parts of Ohio is, as someone mentioned. 

There's at least a little cultural fit there for Montreal in New England.

Now if you told me Montreal ran farther south in, like, Massachusetts, now that would surprise me. 

Most of the WWWF/WWF territory was along the Interstate 95 corridor, those northern Vermont and New Hampshire towns that Montreal ran were small and out of the way for the WWWF crew. 

Georgia started running Columbus due to it being the first somewhat large metropolitan area to get a real cable system, Cincinnati got hooked up a few years later. Ole got lucky in that the areas that first got heavy cable penetration were towns The Sheik abandoned. 

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Prob why you had 5 guys to a car in 84 when the MX were there. And why (among other reasons) some guys bought vans. 

Among other reasons = The statute of limitations may be up, but we're not entirely sure.

• Like 3

Since I watched Starrcade 83 today, I went to YouTube and yeah this Bill Watts interview feels familiar to all the Bill Watts commentary I’ve heard from the early 80s

I get the sense someone in Florida was watching The NFL Today and saw Phyllis George and decided “hey babeh, I have an idea that can help our show” (yeah there’s a 5 year gap between Phyllis George joining CBS and Barbara Clary debuting in Florida)

Clary’s also in a club (with Tito Santana and Gary Michael Cappetta) of wrestling personalities that went on to teach Spanish in school.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Clary’s also in a club (with Tito Santana and Gary Michael Cappetta) of wrestling personalities that went on to teach Spanish in school.

Now I’m just hearing Cappetta in his announcing voice being like, “The following quiz will be worth 20% of your grade for the semester!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, Mister TV said:

Georgia started running Columbus due to it being the first somewhat large metropolitan area to get a real cable system, Cincinnati got hooked up a few years later. Ole got lucky in that the areas that first got heavy cable penetration were towns The Sheik abandoned. 

Isn't the story that GCW on their TV show ran some sort of "letter-writing" campaign (maybe a vote for GCW Wrestler of the Year?) and the office noticed that a very large number of viewer mail was coming from these Midwest areas?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

Isn't the story that GCW on their TV show ran some sort of "letter-writing" campaign (maybe a vote for GCW Wrestler of the Year?) and the office noticed that a very large number of viewer mail was coming from these Midwest areas?

I remember being able to get Superstation WTBS on UHF at my grandparents farm in SW Ohio in the 80s.

• Like 2

hopefully there's enough crowd heat over something for a WWE or AEW wrestler/personality to get on the microphone mid-match to tell the audience to stop booing (like with Popovich tonight during the Spurs game)

that might be asking a lot though, and of course the Spurs fans booed louder because that's what usually happens in that spot.

Watched two matches I really enjoyed and was writing about it and someone was kinda entitled on instagram about my film festival that I was doing extra for some of the submitters and it really killed my excited match buzz. Someone literally ruined an 80’s Joshi post match moment for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ultramantis Black rarely wrestles anymore or leaves the East Coast for shows, that would be a must attend for me.

Timebomb put on a really fun no ring deathmatch/hardcore band show here in the summer. Badger Briggs is cool as fuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, elizium said:

Ultramantis Black rarely wrestles anymore or leaves the East Coast for shows, that would be a must attend for me.

Timebomb put on a really fun no ring deathmatch/hardcore band show here in the summer. Badger Briggs is cool as fuck.

Ultramantis was one of my absolute favorites in CHIKARA . His promos were so fun and I loved The Order of the Neo Solar Temple. I’m a funk and bloody Gage and awesome Ultramantis should get me pumped up. 
I’ve only seen Badger once at a F1rst show and she was cool. We booed her for being from Wisconsin and she did a really funny awkward shrug. 

i don't know if anybody else cares about this, but i was watching an old episode of TNA Impact this morning and who do i see? future UFC champ Daniel Cormier. They brought out a couple people from the 2004 Olympic wrestling team. No promo or anything like that (or even a chyron), but i bet DC got a big kick out of it since he was a big pro wrestling fan.

https://youtu.be/8XvOs6sCLgU

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

He thinks he’s the cool cousin 

He's the cousin who is REALLY into cryptocurrency even though he himself doesn't fully understand it yet. He also overuses the word "mid".

• Like 1
  • Haha 6