DVDVR Message Board

October 2023 Wrestling Discussion

15 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cool reading how members here have tattoos and those who don't. Cheers.

I have one. That is enough. After more than a quarter of a century, I should definitely retouch and re-color it, as it has faded from what it was.

As a totally true story, when I decided that I wanted to get a tattoo, I looked for the closest thing to what Scotty Riggs had around his bicep back in early '97 (well, he still probably has it, but it could be sleeved up by now, or whatever). The closest thing was a thorny tribal tattoo that is not only larger than the Riggs' one but also across the middle of my bicep, instead of just below the shoulder.

It has been a part of me my entire adult life, but I have never had any desire to get another.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Log said:

I don't have any tattoos because my body is a temple and I shant desecrate it.

(Shoves second Hostess cupcake into my mouth)

Temples have historically been places of sacrifice, no? Cupcakes and such can easily be seen as an offering of sorts, right? So you are treating the temple as it is meant to.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

I also have Princess Peach wearing a pink variant of Samus Aran's varia suit on my calf. My logic for that isn't nearly as dark; I just thought it was cute.

Same logic for my Mega Man tat.  It's not like I ruled at the game, I just thought Mega Man in freefall would be a cute tattoo.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

Mine is on the inside of my forearm. It's about 3" x 3 or 4" and it didn't hurt at all. I was pretty afraid of getting a tattoo at first because so many people talked about how it's like a hot needle going into your arm a bunch of times. It was actually rather pleasant. Only one time did it come close to hurting and it was still a pleasant sort of pain. The only way I could describe it, and this isn't what it feels like, but it's like when you're a kid and you have a loose tooth and you keep pushing the tooth with your tongue. It doesn't feel good, but it's oddly satisfying? 

The biggest pain in the ass with a tattoo is the aftercare and having second skin/plastic wrap across it for days while it gets all gross and liquidy. Then you wash it off and continue putting Aquafor or whatever on it, along with sunscreen. I just didn't want any of that plasma or whatever it is dripping onto anything, but that's only for the first couple days.

I've had a couple friends fall asleep while getting their sleeve worked on or a back piece worked on. Others said their wrist hurt the worst while others said the inside of your bicep is really tender and then some said it didn't bother them at all. The only universal regret I ever heard was on the inside of a finger for two reasons - 1) it's pretty painful or nauseating and 2) it looks like shit and is all blown out within weeks so it's a waste of money. My nephew was the most recent to do that getting the Playstation X, Triangle, Square, and Circle tattooed on the inside of his finger and he regrets it now.

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Cool reading how members here have tattoos and those who don't. Cheers.

The only time I experienced horrible pain from tattooing is from the big piece I have on the inside of my upper right arm -- if that phrasing is unclear, I mean the part of the arm under the armpit.  The skin there is so tender, I would absolutely not recommend it.  The weirdest feeling I ever had was when I was getting my right shoulder tattooed and the guy hit bone and it vibrated down my shoulder blade.

But yeah, as long as you're getting it in a meaty place, you should be fine. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

The only time I experienced horrible pain from tattooing is from the big piece I have on the inside of my upper right arm -- if that phrasing is unclear, I mean the part of the arm under the armpit.  The skin there is so tender, I would absolutely not recommend it.  The weirdest feeling I ever had was when I was getting my right shoulder tattooed and the guy hit bone and it vibrated down my shoulder blade.

But yeah, as long as you're getting it in a meaty place, you should be fine. 

This was my experience too, I had a shoulder piece that got close to the armpit, shoulder blade, and collar bone and those were the worst

• Like 1

On the topic of the Iron Claw movie. “Von Erich family” has been one of the 15 most read Wikipedia articles on Wednesday/Thursday (not in the top 10 but in the top 15)

So not sure how much is wrestling fans reading up after the trailer and how much is non-wrestling fans reading up.

They probably should have figured out a knockoff name for Brian Adams in WCW because his real name wasn't gonna work due to the singer.

Also, out of the guys who jumped from the WWF post-Montreal.... I don't know if Crush really won or lost by going to WCW. Several guys ended up doing nothing or getting badly hurt in WCW. Adams just did nothing notable for a few years and then got a tag team gimmick by 2000 and quickly washed out of the WWF in 2001. On the other hand, none of DOA really did much post-Crush and Crush had been in the WWF for most of 7 years and it was probably time for him to go somewhere else.

"Kona" might have worked for one word ring names for Crush?

Kona Kush sounds like the name of a product if Brian Adams had lived long enough to get into the CBD hustle

just thought of the concept of having Hawaiian shirt-style NWO shirts upon Brian Adams entrance to the NWO.. just imagine all the hateable wrestling fan dudes on spring break in 1998 sporting one of those shirts

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Kona Kush sounds like the name of a product if Brian Adams had lived long enough to get into the CBD hustle

just thought of the concept of having Hawaiian shirt-style NWO shirts upon Brian Adams entrance to the NWO.. just imagine all the hateable wrestling fan dudes on spring break in 1998 sporting one of those shirts

Or Hat Guy wearing one in the ECW ARENA. 

There was a past monthly discussion thread here were Crush was brought up, and someone said he was a guilty pleasure (guessing as a face) growing up.

I mean I can see goofy Kona Crush in that era of WWF being sort of gimmick that could work for a certain demo of child viewers. I mean some of those goofiness in that era of WWF did make of a good number of really young fans who stuck around for the end of the New Generation into the Attitude Era. However, at the same time, the goofiness and the fact that Crush and some of the other guys (from Papa Shango to Friar Ferguson) were involved in some many awful matches and feuds that it in turn created a churn with older teenagers and adults that hurt their business in that same period. Adams specifically never got to the point where it justified he kept getting multiple opportunities. If he wasn't friends with Taker and some of the other boys, he would have been a career indie guy.

• Like 1

I remember tilt a whirl backbreakers and slams we’re all over the mid card of WCW and some of WWE in the second half of the 90s but then sit out became the new vogue and tiltawhirl loves never really came back in style like they were.

Indie wrestlers bring back the tiltawhirls.

• Like 3

Tilt-a-whirls were constantly reversed into Flying Headscissors though. To the point that the old school "one-shoulder Victory Roll" Flying Headscissors became obsolete. Someone should bring that back.

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, Cobra Commander said:

The wrestler who plays Michael Hayes in Iron Claw looks like Chippendales Michael Hayes in his pic:

Or maybe he’s alternate universe Seth Rollins. I don’t know.

Edit: just realized another nickname "Magic Mike Hayes"

brady pierce is not a good promo and i wouldn't call his movement "charismatic", so this seems like an odd choice.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:15 AM, The Natural said:

Loved tattoos since a boy. Still need to get my first which will be a tribute to my late great Mum. I was thinking a portrait of her on my inside forearm.

On 10/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, JLowe said:

That's a good spot since it's mostly meat/muscle it won't hurt too much unless they get up towards the ditch or too low on the wrist.

seconding (or whatever number we're up to now). i have a forearm tattoo that happens to go directly through the inner elbow (that hurt a lot!) and around the wrist (the underside of the wrist i was very worried about but wasn't bad. the artist didn't go very deep though, and bits of it have faded. but over the wrist bones hurt like hell!!). other tattoos (both calves, both biceps) were totally fine.

On 10/12/2023 at 4:16 PM, Sparkleface said:

I also have Princess Peach wearing a pink variant of Samus Aran's varia suit on my calf. 

i would like to see that. or even the inspiration picture. Metroid is one of my favorite NES games. 

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

i would 100% unironically love to rock an nWo hawaiian shirt. then, now, forever. whether i am hateable is debateable but i'd take the L for that shirt. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Kona Crush was sorta on the scene around the time that Hulk Hogan was departing and they "needed a new Hulk Hogan"... while picking Lex Luger for that spot didn't work... Lex was at least more reliable than Crush.

The tilt-a-whirl backbreaker was also cool looking.

I don't think he (Crush) was picked as much as they probably felt they needed one of those lovable mainstay gimmick gimmick guys you saw in the WWWF/early WWF days. Problem is when you start off with the silly I Like to Crush things vignettes, you've veered off too much into the Pee Wee's Playhouse territory. It doesn't help that the Doink feud made him look like the dumbest dude in the world so he had ZERO credibility to start with. So by the time April/May 1993 rolls around, they had Yokozuna kill him on Raw and tried to reset him with a heel turn. So a gimmick they wanted some longevity out of it, they didn't even really get a whole year out of.

• Like 1