DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 9/20 - 9/26/2023 - Let's Go To Denny's!

Dolfan in NYC

Yeah Dave's take this morning (and you know Fenix is one of those personal favs of his he's always going to defend) was that Knox was at fault but Fenix did nothing wrong because he was just following Moxley's instructions to take it home early. Leave it to Right to Censor to go step by step through all the moronic decisions Fenix made AFTER being advised by Moxley to change the finish. Like dude is looking cool while you pin a concussed guy really your #1 priority in that moment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Spot of the night was Kingston cutting off the chop exchange by punching Claudio in the jaw.  The knee-buckle sell was great.  Claudio shaking his hand but still kinda being a punk about it was a good ending.

Everybody's talked about the slow hospital bed but having Taven and Bennett holding a rosary and a mylar balloon at Roddy's bedside were also inspired choices.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Yeah Dave's take this morning (and you know Fenix is one of those personal favs of his he's always going to defend) was that Knox was at fault but Fenix did nothing wrong because he was just following Moxley's instructions to take it home early. Leave it to Right to Censor to go step by step through all the moronic decisions Fenix made AFTER being advised by Moxley to change the finish. Like dude is looking cool while you pin a concussed guy really your #1 priority in that moment?

24a69c72f0dbbfe6-600x338.jpg

Knox and Fenix royally fucked up. I'm still hot at both. Indefensible.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AEW needs to do more to recognize injuries when they happen and act accordingly.  As mentioned, this is this latest in a pretty good-sized list of in-match injuries that have gone unchecked.

Also, they really should just tell the refs to call it like a shoot.  And not the WWE style "call it like a shoot," where the one time a ref does it, he gets in deep shit for it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 1

Knox should face some kind of punishment since this isn’t the first time he fucked up with a talent being out of it. He should have kept counting he made Mox, Feniz, himself, the company and the fans look stupid with his stopping the count for no reason and then didn’t even help direct traffic to take it home and let Mox call it to do it again.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

AEW needs to do more to recognize injuries when they happen and act accordingly.  As mentioned, this is this latest and a pretty good-sized list of in-match injuries that have gone unchecked.

Also, the really should just tell the refs to call it like a shoot.  And not the WWE style "call it like a shoot," where the one time a ref does it, he gets in deep shit for it.

As noted, AEW has previous.

If I was in charge, I'd fire Rey Fenix and Rick Knox. I'm pissed more at Fenix doing the Black Fire Driver again instead of just covering Mox.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I have a soft spot for Knox as a PWG fan going way back, so I'm biased.  Still, he feels like one of those early AEW hires where they were picking up the not necessarily most talented indy guys just because they needed people; guys who didn't fit in once AEW got past a certain level and were let go.  And also, obviously, he's a friend of the Bucks.  All that being said, I'm not one to call for a guy to lose his livelihood over a mistake a lot of people in the same position make.  This shit is hard to do in the moment.  And the point I was trying to make is that the company needs to set up guidelines.  Knox made mistakes but if the company is not directing these guys to call it like a shoot, then why should he be expected to have done that?

Maybe Mox should have told someone that he was fucked up.  Maybe the "I need to tough it out" culture has to change.  Brain trauma is nothing to fuck with and if you're concussed in the first minute of a match, anything that happens after can make things much worse for you.  Even if the finish had gone perfectly, we have a guy out there working 20 minutes with brain trauma and that's pretty fucked.  I was reading the reddit thread about this and one poster said a relative had sustained what was classified as a "mild concussion," and then they hit their head again soon after, and ended up with brain damage. 

This is on both wrestlers in the ring, the doctor, and absolutely the company, who seems to have no guidelines in place for any of this shit.

• Like 6

I mean, considering how often they have the ringside medics checking on people kayfabe, I don't recall that they actually went over and checked on Mox after that first dive? I could vey well be mistaken. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I mean, considering how often they have the ringside medics checking on people kayfabe, I don't recall that they actually went over and checked on Mox after that first dive? I could vey well be mistaken. 

Knox for sure did not. Worst ref today.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JLowe said:

It was especially weird since Excalibur seemed to be trying to ring the alarm bell on commentary without totally breaking kayfabe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Everybody's talked about the slow hospital bed but having Taven and Bennett holding a rosary and a mylar balloon at Roddy's bedside were also inspired choices.

Not to mention thanking the fans for sending cards and flowers, in a room that blatantly contains zero cards or flowers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Better someone loses their livelihood than someone else losing their life. If Knox gets a pass this time it should be the last one for any ref

I get you, but like I said, this is absolutely not all on him.  It's easy to pull out the pitchforks and to look for an easy answer, but this is way more complicated than that.  Again, what stops Moxley from telling Knox "I am fucked up...we need to end this match now" aside from wrestlers just being macho and dumb?  At the end of the day, the was one person who absolutely knew that Moxley was hurt and had all the power to avoid a worse outcome, and that wasn't Knox.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I get you, but like I said, this is absolutely not all on him.  It's easy to pull out the pitchforks and to look for an easy answer, but this is way more complicated than that.  Again, what stops Moxley from telling Knox "I am fucked up...we need to end this match now" aside from wrestlers just being macho and dumb?  At the end of the day, the was one person who absolutely knew that Moxley was hurt and had all the power to avoid a worse outcome, and that wasn't Knox.

Moxley and anyone watching a monitor. I said Knox can get a pass if there was truly no system in place, which is incredibly negligent in its own right, but after this one it has to be zero tolerance

• Like 1

I feel like a concussed guy isn't necessarily the best judge of his own ability to continue or not. To me there's two egregious things that happened: 

1) Knox didn't call for the bell after realizing Moxley wasn't kicking out.

2) Fenix picking him up, giving him the move again, and leaning back deep into the cover. 

I get that Moxley is a big protected star and seemingly a good guy irl and you want to defer to him but shy of him being like "Knox I will literally murder you if you don't standby and watch this happen. Fenix, ditto goes for you if you don't drop me on my skull again", I don't really see a conceivable excuse for just following his orders when they're clearly not safe or responsible orders to carry out. And it's a moot point in Knox's case anyway since he DIDN'T listen to Moxley and called for a 2 count at what should have been the audible.

• Like 4