DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER WRESTLING CHIT CHAT

RIPPA

I think some people here are just a little too interested in who/who isn't CM Punk dating/sleeping with.  When did this site turn into Perez Hilton for wrestlers!?

If two wrestlers got in a fight backstage, we'd talk about that. If two wrestlers are fucking, we talk about that also. We should rename to board "Fights and Fucks" 

• Like 2

I think some people here are just a little too interested in who/who isn't CM Punk dating/sleeping with.  When did this site turn into Perez Hilton for wrestlers!?

If two wrestlers got in a fight backstage, we'd talk about that. If two wrestlers are fucking, we talk about that also. We should rename to board "Fights and Fucks" 

Name might be the making of a new reality TV show ; ).

• Like 1

It's the only thing that's even mildly interesting about him right now. Punk as a face is worse than Orton as a face. Plus, this wouldn't be discussed if it wasn't for the weird Lita angle..

WWE Aims to Pin Down Rich New TV Rights Deals

The goal is to significantly increase the $139.5 million in TV licensing fees WWE earns each year for its shows, and attempt to get closer to the rich network deals that sports organizations like the NBA, NHL NASCAR, as well as soccer command.

To make its show more attractive, WWE is considering a live version of its two-hour “SmackDown,” which currently is taped on Tuesday before its Friday airing. To do that, costs to produce the series would increase, due to scheduling, and the show would likely need to move to a new night. But WWE would be willing to make the switch in return for a better fee for the series.

Negotiations and bids can’t take place until Feb. 15, when NBCU accepts or rejects WWE’s final offer; other bids are due Feb. 28, with WWE set to select its media partners by March 4. Should a new deal with another conglom happen, WWE’s shows wouldn’t move to a new network until October.

WWE’s pay-per-views, including annual juggernauts “WrestleMania” and “SummerSlam” won’t be part of the negotiations, since those will air on the company’s new subscription-based WWE Network, which will also include original series and access to the company’s VOD library. Launch plans for the channel, which WWE sees as its own NFL Network, have yet to be revealed. However, WWE maintains that it could break even on the venture if it can sign up 800,000 to 1 million subscribers willing to pay around $10 to $14 per month.

Can we all laugh that AJ Lee yelling at another girl backstage is a way bigger story than AJ Styles, arguably the biggest star in TNA  leaving the promotion. Kind of puts TNAs place in this world into perspective.

And how great is Punk as wrestling's Casanova? Half of Punk's appeal is that he is a wrestling superfan who through the unlikeliest of circumstances ended up in the main event.  His whole career has a fan-fiction feel to it. And in the fan fiction of a 12-year old wrestling nerd, it would only make sense that the protagonist is plowing through three-quarters of the women on the roster.

• Like 5

Name might be the making of a new reality TV show ; ).

Back several years ago when those "animals attack" shows were all the rage, I wanted to make one of those shows and call it "Animals Fucking and Fighting." 

"Coming up next on FOX! It's animals fucking! It's animals fighting! It's Animals Fucking and Fighting!"

As a decent looking dude I cant say Punk is one without you all imagining us plowing one another, so I hope that image returns to all your brains at the most inappropriate times and we call the phenomenon Merg Turdfucking

Basically it's the bed scene from Freddy vs Jason but stickier

You're welcome

Here's the Meltzer version of the WWE TV negotiations:

WWE looking for bidding on all of its shows, possibly moving Smackdown

While WWE has noted that the Raw and Smackdown contracts with USA and Syfy, as well as deals in the U.K. and India for the WWE TV package will expire in 2014, in a story in Variety, it was said that contracts for every show will be up this year and they are looking to put them together for one major package.

Both Michelle Wilson and George Barrios, who are in charge of the negotiations, were quoted in a story designed to up the bidding for the WWE franchise.

A key thing WWE is considering is an attempt to move Smackdown to a new night and go live.  For reasons having to do with production schedule, the attempt would be to move the show to Tuesday, although the article never stated that.  Such a move would likely increase the ratings of the show once the new night was established, since Friday is a tough night for television.  Smackdown's ratings dropped significantly when being moved from Thursday to Friday.

The story stated that WWE has had meetings with NBC Universal, A&E, Disney, Viacom, 21st Century Fox and The Discovery Channel. 

The story stated that NBC Universal has until 2/15 to have exclusive negotiating rights.  If they don't sign the deal by that time, WWE will take bids until 2/28 and make a decision based on those bids on 3/4.  WWE would not move if there is a network change until October.

The story also stated that the television contract would include digital rights to the shows, meaning WWE programming would be off Hulu Plus and onto a platform controlled by the network starting in October.

This would include Raw, Smackdown, Main Event, Total Divas and even revamping Saturday Morning Slam (canceled earlier this year by CW).  While not mentioned in the Variety article, it is known that they are also looking for a U.S. home for NXT, which at this point only airs on Hulu, but does air internationally.

the story noted WWE wanting its perception changed from soap opera to sport, because rights fees for sports are going through the roof.

I think some people here are just a little too interested in who/who isn't CM Punk dating/sleeping with. When did this site turn into Perez Hilton for wrestlers!?

And the line I draw is, if it were "sleaze," i.e. rumors, gossip and the like, that's one thing. But Punk's dallisnces are made common knowledge, either through news sites, the girls he bags, or Punk himself (and sometimes gleefully).

The thing that gets me - and maybe it's the professional side of me talking - is that Punk makes it habitual, to bed-hop with women involved in his industry - a collective, insular industry at that - while employed by an industry known for its tendency to attract and/or create personality-damaged people. That women in said industry are its third-class citizens seems to make it worse.

1. Is CM Punk a big-enough star to have one of his former conquests sent to Belize if she got too crazy, ala the John Cena-Mickie James rumor?

2. The reason sports are getting so much in rights money is they're considered to be something people like to watch live and not DVR and skip through the commercials. Wrestling is practically made for DVRing if you can wait three hours or so to watch Raw.

Even as popular as AJ appears to be I would say WWE would still choose at least half of the male wrestlers over her if they had to. That's why it's crazy for any diva to get involved with a top guy. You can date Billy Kidman. You can date an Uso. You should probably stay away from everyone else. What's going to happen if Cena and Nikki have a bad breakup? You know what's going to happen..  She will either disappear from TV, be humiliated or possibly released.. I feel bad for the divas but that is the way it is and I'm surprised they haven't realized it yet.

Even as popular as AJ appears to be I would say WWE would still choose at least half of the male wrestlers over her if they had to. That's why it's crazy for any diva to get involved with a top guy. You can date Billy Kidman. You can date an Uso. You should probably stay away from everyone else.

LL Phil J

For the record, I did date a girl I worked with and it was annoying because people are nosey. It wasn't great having to work with her afterwards either but I got through it. Maybe in some workplaces it isn't bad but WWE seems like to WORST place to try it...  especially for a female. Of course, Drew McIntyre would be a good case for why it's not always great for one of the guys either.

1. Is CM Punk a big-enough star to have one of his former conquests sent to Belize if she got too crazy, ala the John Cena-Mickie James rumor?

2. The reason sports are getting so much in rights money is they're considered to be something people like to watch live and not DVR and skip through the commercials. Wrestling is practically made for DVRing if you can wait three hours or so to watch Raw.

Yeah it is DVR'd by us but amazingly 90% of people watch it live, source http://variety.com/2013/tv/news/wwe-aims-to-pin-down-rich-new-tv-rights-deals-exclusive-1200966579/

WWE Aims to Pin Down Rich New TV Rights Deals

The goal is to significantly increase the $139.5 million in TV licensing fees WWE earns each year for its shows, and attempt to get closer to the rich network deals that sports organizations like the NBA, NHL NASCAR, as well as soccer command.

To make its show more attractive, WWE is considering a live version of its two-hour “SmackDown,” which currently is taped on Tuesday before its Friday airing. To do that, costs to produce the series would increase, due to scheduling, and the show would likely need to move to a new night. But WWE would be willing to make the switch in return for a better fee for the series.

Negotiations and bids can’t take place until Feb. 15, when NBCU accepts or rejects WWE’s final offer; other bids are due Feb. 28, with WWE set to select its media partners by March 4. Should a new deal with another conglom happen, WWE’s shows wouldn’t move to a new network until October.

WWE’s pay-per-views, including annual juggernauts “WrestleMania” and “SummerSlam” won’t be part of the negotiations, since those will air on the company’s new subscription-based WWE Network, which will also include original series and access to the company’s VOD library. Launch plans for the channel, which WWE sees as its own NFL Network, have yet to be revealed. However, WWE maintains that it could break even on the venture if it can sign up 800,000 to 1 million subscribers willing to pay around $10 to $14 per month.

I wonder how much closer. Certainly not the billion/multi-billion dollar range of the NFL/NBA/MLB contracts. I know NBC paid 250M for Premier League rights in the U.S. If WWE got that much from someone, I would be impressed. That would also be a significant increase.

If I had to guess, I think they will max out around 150M for TV rights. The stigma about the intelligence and income level of wrestling fans still probably exists to advertisers no matter how much WWE pushes that they are marketing to middle-income families. 

Here's the Meltzer version of the WWE TV negotiations:

the story noted WWE wanting its perception changed from soap opera to sport...because...$$$$$$$blablah

And another turn in the cycle.  Ten years ago did anyone think Meltzer would be writing this?  I know people hoped...but it seemed like the "it's a sport" era was dead and gone.

If this leads to a decade of old-timey photographer cameras next to the ring, streamers, NFL films style docs., and taking single matches seriously as something other than chances for plot twists, then I finally have something to thank ESPN's insane fees for.

• Like 1

I wonder how much closer. Certainly not the billion/multi-billion dollar range of the NFL/NBA/MLB contracts. I know NBC paid 250M for Premier League rights in the U.S. If WWE got that much from someone, I would be impressed. That would also be a significant increase.

If I had to guess, I think they will max out around 150M for TV rights. The stigma about the intelligence and income level of wrestling fans still probably exists to advertisers no matter how much WWE pushes that they are marketing to middle-income families. 

They made $168.4M in 2013 (source:http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/12/10/can-we-predict-wwe-tv-rights-fees-for-2015/), so $250M is more likely considering they get better ratings than Premier League does.