DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2023 - WEEK TWO

dogwelder

The only logical explanation for The Giants' first 6 quarters of football this year is they somehow crossed paths with a demon ghoul that put a 6 quarter curse on them. From literally not being able to get any points / first downs / more than three seconds in the pocket to throw to... like a really good and efficient offense. I don't know what was said in that halftime speech, but load that shit up on the loud speakers and play it between every play.

Saquon getting a sprained ankle or fracture in essentially garbage time is depressing. But only ut haf as depressing as that Thursday Night Massacre is gonna be. 1-1 and is lone last place in the division. Football givith and football takith away.

I’ve seen batted HMs backfire too. I don’t know what the answer is. I would probably just do or coach to do whatever came natural. Catch it if you think you got it, otherwise jump and swing like all hell. 

The conversion try was PI but Bountygate so I don’t want to hear it out of that crybaby’s mouth. Besides that though, it was only the call by rule, the rule which is made of glass at this point. I was just glad to see a clutch moment in a game not decided by a penalty that helped the offense. Also I’m not sure the pass before the HM was a catch but they gave it to them without even checking. 

Bill O’Brien is an idiot. It was 3rd and inches and they had been getting those first downs running. So he pitches it backwards that last time. If you want to pitch it pitch it, but do a normal pitch, not that backwards junk on 3rd and inches. And if you want to pitch it pitch it to Eli Apple’s side since he’s possibly the worst defensive player that’s ever played more than a couple years. 

47 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

The whole "EB couldn't get a head coaching job because nobody gives credit to Reid's offensive coordinators" narrative falls apart as soon as you remember his previous two OCs that didn't call plays both got head coaching jobs.

I don't know enough about what Nagy did as an OC, but I can tell you some specific things that even Reid has given Bieniemy credit for as an offensive coordinator.  Bieniemy is outstanding at designing plays to exploit the way teams play zone.  The first thing you need to understand is that most teams do not have the personnel to play straight man-to-man coverage.  Even the teams that do have the personnel to plan man, still play a lot of zone just to disrupt the offense(if I have time and based on tomorrow's performance, I plan on doing something like this about the Browns secondary).  Every quarterback in the NFL will kill you if you just play man, it removes about 75% of the reads a quarterback has to make.  So every defense is playing zone, and the most common zone concepts are cover 2(a.k.a halves), which is two deep safeties, cover 4(a.k.a quarters), which is 4 defensive backs covering deep, and cover 6(a.k.a quarter/half) which splits the defense in half and plays with one deep safety on the weak half of the offense and two defenders on the strong side of the offense.  All of these have different variations, but this is a good place to start to understand how they work.  All of these defensive assignments rely on both presnap and post-snap reads.  The presnap reads are based on who is lined up where, and the post-snap read is based on the first move of each of those individual players.  For the most part, the slot receiver or the second receiver from the end is the most important read.  If the slot releases outside, the corner picks him up and passes the outside man to the deep safety on his side.  If he releases inside the corner plays man-to-man on the outside receiver and the nickel back picks up the slot or passes him off to the linebacker based on the route.  What Bieniemy did in the Super Bowl was disrupt both the presnap and post-snap read by motioning the outside man so that the defense focuses on the wrong person and then snapping the ball before they have time to adjust back to the correct read.  The Chiefs scored multiple completely uncovered touchdowns in the Super Bowl against an excellent defense, because of how well Bieniemy understands how to attack zone defenses.  Reid is an offensive genius and one of the best offensive coaches of all time, but he credits Bieniemy for coming up with these schemes.  You have to understand that the only advantage defenses have comes from either brute force or confusion.  The offense knows what it wants to do, therefore the defense always starts a step behind.  They can make up this step by either getting pressure on the quarterback upfront and/or being someplace the quarterback doesn't expect them to be in the secondary.  If you can not only understand how the defense is trying to confuse you but understand it enough to use it against them you are an excellent coach.  Bieniemy did it on the biggest stage possible multiple times.  

The Dolphins did something similar last week against the Chargers, except they did it in reverse.  Tyreek Hill would line up as the slot and they would motion him outside so that the defense had to decide on the fly if they should read him as the slot or as the outside man and by the time they figured it out he was wide open.  It took forever for Ronde Barber to get into the Hall of Fame, because he was just a zone corner, but he was probably the best zone corner of all time.  Being able to diagnose what the offense is doing and make the correct reads is not easy at NFL speed.  Barber is probably the best all-time at it and should have been in the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't know enough about what Nagy did as an OC, but I can tell you some specific things that even Reid has given Bieniemy credit for as an offensive coordinator.  Bieniemy is outstanding at designing plays to exploit the way teams play zone.  The first thing you need to understand is that most teams do not have the personnel to play straight man-to-man coverage.  Even the teams that do have the personnel to plan man, still play a lot of zone just to disrupt the offense(if I have time and based on tomorrow's performance, I plan on doing something like this about the Browns secondary).  Every quarterback in the NFL will kill you if you just play man, it removes about 75% of the reads a quarterback has to make.  So every defense is playing zone, and the most common zone concepts are cover 2(a.k.a halves), which is two deep safeties, cover 4(a.k.a quarters), which is 4 defensive backs covering deep, and cover 6(a.k.a quarter/half) which splits the defense in half and plays with one deep safety on the weak half of the offense and two defenders on the strong side of the offense.  All of these have different variations, but this is a good place to start to understand how they work.  All of these defensive assignments rely on both presnap and post-snap reads.  The presnap reads are based on who is lined up where, and the post-snap read is based on the first move of each of those individual players.  For the most part, the slot receiver or the second receiver from the end is the most important read.  If the slot releases outside, the corner picks him up and passes the outside man to the deep safety on his side.  If he releases inside the corner plays man-to-man on the outside receiver and the nickel back picks up the slot or passes him off to the linebacker based on the route.  What Bieniemy did in the Super Bowl was disrupt both the presnap and post-snap read by motioning the outside man so that the defense focuses on the wrong person and then snapping the ball before they have time to adjust back to the correct read.  The Chiefs scored multiple completely uncovered touchdowns in the Super Bowl against an excellent defense, because of how well Bieniemy understands how to attack zone defenses.  Reid is an offensive genius and one of the best offensive coaches of all time, but he credits Bieniemy for coming up with these schemes.  You have to understand that the only advantage defenses have comes from either brute force or confusion.  The offense knows what it wants to do, therefore the defense always starts a step behind.  They can make up this step by either getting pressure on the quarterback upfront and/or being someplace the quarterback doesn't expect them to be in the secondary.  If you can not only understand how the defense is trying to confuse you but understand it enough to use it against them you are an excellent coach.  Bieniemy did it on the biggest stage possible multiple times.  

The Dolphins did something similar last week against the Chargers, except they did it in reverse.  Tyreek Hill would line up as the slot and they would motion him outside so that the defense had to decide on the fly if they should read him as the slot or as the outside man and by the time they figured it out he was wide open.  It took forever for Ronde Barber to get into the Hall of Fame, because he was just a zone corner, but he was probably the best zone corner of all time.  Being able to diagnose what the offense is doing and make the correct reads is not easy at NFL speed.  Barber is probably the best all-time at it and should have been in the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

You're preaching to the choir here man. I think it's stunning bullshit he hasn't gotten a head job and the excuse people kept giving holds no water.

• Like 2

It is crazy how much faster Miami seems to be at every position.  That deep shot where the receiver had no shot, but both defenders did was kind of crazy.  The Bears seem to be a team where no one put any thought into how any of the players actually play, the Dolphins just look at 40 times and cut out anyone who isn't the fastest player at their position.  One of these teams is better for a reason.  Even a simple plan is better than no plan.